View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Expanding my collection in preparation for Legends 
Bottle Cap

Hi everyone,

I am new to SDE and am looking for people's opinions/advice on expanding my collection. I have backed up to Legendary Level on the Legends Kickstarter and already own the Forgotten King, Von Drakk Expansion and Tiles, Stilt Town Zombies Warband and Brave-Mode Candy Hero.

Now I recently compared the images/descriptions linked with all of the Adventures mentioned on the Legends Kickstarter page and based on these I created a table that listed, in my opinion anyway, which figures where "mentioned"/"necessary" for the Adventures. I know Soda Pop Miniatures said that we can merely swap in figures we already have, to replace those we don't, but if a story describes fighting Kobolds or mentions a specific Mini-Boss, I prefer to actually use Kobold models and said Mini-Boss. With all of that said, I listed each expansion in order based on the number of models that are "required" for these Adventures and marked off which ones I already have or will be getting from my Pledge.

My questions when looking to expand my collection further while we wait are:

1. Do you think that I should I focus more on the expansions that I feel are "required" more than others (aka more of the expansions whose models would be used more) or rather expansions that give me more models (eg Caverns of Roxxor -> Warbands -> Individual Bosses/Heroes)?
2. Do you think that I should I try to get all of the available Tile Map Packs before focusing on more heroes/monsters?

I was also wondering if you think whether certain Heroes that are mentioned in the Adventures will be treated as more of an NPC that will join our Heroes on these Adventures, rather than being a Hero someone will HAVE to play as in the Adventure?

I understand that these questions are a bit subjective and apologize for this, as well as the wall of above text. Looking forward to everyone's response.

September 1st, 2017, 2:53 pm
Minion

That's a tough one, and I think it's up to you.

If you're not a completist, I wouldn't sweat individual heroes. They're pound-for-pound a lot more expensive than boxed sets, and they're easy to swap out.

After that, all bets are off. Your choice depends largely on what you want to play. You could almost certainly pass on the new fire dungeon tiles, since you'll get fire dungeon tiles in the new base set. I think you already have the rest, aside from 1e tiles that aren't 100% compatible.

To be completely transparent, I am very close to being a completist, so my advice is suspect. I didn't pick up the new Roxxor because I have the original, I passed on the WotF cosplay heroes because they're too expensive for just being a replacement mini, and I am not interested in the Tokoashi students because I don't think they fit in Crystalia. Oh, and I can't find the original King Starfire at a price I want to pay. Other than that, I pick up just about any SDE stuff that comes out. My extremely suspect advice would be to buy everything, but that's madness on your wallet so ignore me.

September 1st, 2017, 3:48 pm
Mini-Boss

To op:
1.yes. If you really like sth, make an exception. Else, bigger boxes give more variables, hence more replayability.
2. No. Tiles are great but the next ks is going to give you 10 more. Tiles you can also build yourself.

September 1st, 2017, 4:47 pm
Bottle Cap

Next KS? You llie!!!

Back on topic though, I agree to not necessarily worry about buying miniatures that will let you play the prebuilt adventures that will eventually be released as part of the Legends kickstarter. There will be plenty of building your own for your games based on the miniatures you already have. That being said, buy what appeals to you most. If it's a particular single mini or a box set doesn't really matter, but if you are building your own adventures, or even just tweaking the story of the ones that SPM puts out to fit your personal collection, then you will be playing in an adventure that appeals to you because it is comprised of the miniatures YOU chose to play with.

September 4th, 2017, 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]