View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Looking for (Hopefully Positive) feedback... 
Denizen

So I've almost completed writing my rules for my own version of Legends and I'd like to share the core rough draft, yet to be tested fully, balancing enemy starting bonuses versus level gains is still being tweaked.

Basic start:

Each person in the group may pick 1 hero from the collection of heroes. Once picked, that hero is no longer available. Mini-bosses that double as playable heroes may not be picked unless there is a second model owned as to not interfere with quests and dungeons where that mini boss may be needed or used.

This is your starting character. You get their card, and mini, and you're off to the races.

Guild System:

Not sure how Im going to make the players/myself earn the ability to own a guild house, but it will allow you to house three heroes. So each player forms their own guild and can hold up to three heroes at their disposal. Again, once picked, the hero is no longer available to be recruited.

Earning Extra Heroes:

Through quests, through dungeon delves, etc as rewards.

Basic Leveling System:

Each dungeon cleared is worth 1xp
Each quest completed gives you XP or items based on the rewards
Each Dungeon Boss Defeated gives you 1 XP
Once you gain enough experience to level, it immediately happens and you get full health and one potion up to your max. You reset down to zero xp.

Levels:

1 --> 2 5xp
2 --> 3 10xp
3 --> 4 15xp
4 --> 5 20xp
5 --> 6 25 xp
6 --> 7 30 xp
7 --> 8 40xp
8 --> 9 50xp
9 --> 10 60xp

Abilities based on levels:

1: Character Is as shown on card
2: +1 blue dice to any stat of your choosing
3: +1 heart
4: +1 max potion
5: +1 Red dice to any stat, if same stat as the one chosen for blue dice upgrade at level 2, it will replace the blue dice, if different, then the blue dice stays
(purpose of this is to make it so no character becomes broken by level 5 and you are forced to basically balance out your character or just get one extra red in your favorite stat)
6: +1 heart or max potion
7: Keep a head/top slot item from Dungeon to Dungeon
8: Keep a boot/bottom slot item from Dungeon to Dungeon
9: Keep Armor/Middle slot item from Dungeon to Dungeon
10: Keep Weapon slot item from Dungeon to Dungeon

For last 4 levels I have to look up color specifics and relabel, but this was the basic idea.

Arena/Battlegrounds:

PVP will be designed for fun and PVP specific rewards, aka the arena deck. At the end of each pvp season, rewards will be given out as defined by a chart I haven't finished yet.

Arena follows standard arena rules.

3 bgs that will be randomly chosen per season, for those that love wow.

Alterac valley

Capture the flag

Capture and hold points.

Rewards at the season will include items to keep in your bank, Treasure rewards will stay in your bank until level 7+ unless being used in BGS. Blue loot items may be used from Dungeon to Dungeon, but discarded after the use.

Then there will be xp and crafting item rewards.

PETS:

Earned through quests and event rewards.

Crafting:

At the end of every dungeon run, you may get stones based on the reward, and/or you will get crafting stones based on the following loot:

Blue items grant you one stone of its associated slot, red becomes one red stone etc.

Red Treasure Items grant you two of each stone associated with that slot.

There will be a crafting chart.

Certain legendary items may need items from specific bosses to complete, example: To guarantee a certain Von Drakk item, you may need 3 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow, 2 green, 6 wings of a skull bat, (each slain model drops 1) The hilt of a witches broom, and 1 fang of Von Drakk. Then you can permanently take the item from Von Drakk's treasure card listed in the crafting chart.

Festivals/Events:

There will be festivals based on time of year in Crystalia and world events as I write more campaigns and raids.

So for the opening of the Molten Forge of Vulcanis raid, you may need to complete X amount of runs in Dragonback Peak tiles and collect certain items to gain rewards, such as a Piranha plant pet, etc. Then when the gates to the forge Finally open, you can do the raid.

Or something fun like the Winter's Holiday Event, where you can go on snowball fight pvp maps or quest to bring orphans presents, etc. You get reward with xp and gift boxes that might contain crafting items, pets, or even a LEGENDARY ITEM!?

Or perhaps the Glauerdoom Fair is in town, offering unique crafting recipes and quests to earn pets and special heroes only available through the fair.

Raids:

Raids will be multi tiered dungeons that allow you to bring multiple heroes from your guild charter and it has specific rules between each leg of the dungeon, all culminating to a more difficult boss fight with custom rules as created from testing. Raids should be reserved until later levels though, as they will be scaled more difficult than a standard dungeon.

Purpose of Campaign:

This is meant to last as long as you'd like, so you can literally play for years, constantly expanding the universe, leveling your characters, etc... For me and my friends it will be a regular meeting every few weeks where we can quest and dungeon for the day.

This does require prep work on my part for quest writing and dungeoning, but it will be all fun as this is designed to work with an Arcade mode style.

This is going to basically be a SDE version of WOW.

If you are curious to read the start of the story that is leading to this Campaign, in fiction and art, it is Glauerdoom Moor, Rise of the true Necromancer. I wont reveal spoilers for those that are following it and have told me they are enjoying the story immensely. But when that story ends, it begins the start of this campaign.

I am almost done with all the exacts and rules and opening quests. There is a lot to this and I have been working on it and testing it on my own for a while, and so far it is going great. I am very happy with my success of this system so far.

Anyway, I know this was a lot to read, but give me some feedback, let me know your thoughts. Please try not SH-- all over my idea, I'm looking for real constructive feedback and ideas to make it better.

I know alot of exact arent listed, but the campaign book with full rules and starting quests/dungeons is up to 20+ pages including art work.

August 17th, 2017, 1:46 pm
Minion

I like the idea. It reminds me of some of the old HeroQuest homebrew quests and adventures I have seen. Arena tournaments to earn rewards is a great idea. I also like the idea of having a festival or fair where things can be won. I have also been reading the story. Keep up the good work and let me know how things go.

August 18th, 2017, 5:52 pm
Minion

Few questions that popped up when reading:
Whats the penalty for failing a mission (either failing an objective or running out of "lives" mid game) in the grand scheme of a campaign?
How are enemy mobs going to be beefed up in line with Heroes? How will this be defined/decided eg Player A is using their lvl 5 Hero while Player B uses a newly acquired lvl 1 Hero....so is it a lvl 5 battle (highest) or a lvl 3 (average)?
How will a lvl 8-9 range Hero feel different in comparison to a lvl 1-2?
At what rate will crafted Treasures be acquired in comparison to Heroes level? And are crafted items permanent, because that could nullify the lvl 7-10 rewards.
Are crafted treasures unique to that one players Guild?
If so, how ingredient drops divided up? Is it a pool everyone uses or are they only gained by whoever makes the kill (which could lead to kill stealing and having to drag in DKP)?

August 19th, 2017, 7:30 pm
Denizen

Danteire wrote:
Whats the penalty for failing a mission (either failing an objective or running out of "lives" mid game) in the grand scheme of a campaign?
How are enemy mobs going to be beefed up in line with Heroes? How will this be defined/decided eg Player A is using their lvl 5 Hero while Player B uses a newly acquired lvl 1 Hero....so is it a lvl 5 battle (highest) or a lvl 3 (average)?
At what rate will crafted Treasures be acquired in comparison to Heroes level? And are crafted items permanent, because that could nullify the lvl 7-10 rewards.
If so, how ingredient drops divided up? Is it a pool everyone uses or are they only gained by whoever makes the kill (which could lead to kill stealing and having to drag in DKP)?

I have answers to all of these. At weddings all werkend. Ill post responses tomorrow to see what you think.

Thanks for feedback so far. Ill be in touch tomorrow

August 20th, 2017, 2:32 pm
Denizen

Danteire wrote:

1.Whats the penalty for failing a mission (either failing an objective or running out of "lives" mid game) in the grand scheme of a campaign?

Your hero will penalized. I am debating between the following:

A set penalty, such as 3-5xp and an item

or

a penalty chart that they might have to roll on random results

The definites are, that hero is unavailable for the next adventure unless it is your only one, (which will be disappointing in end game raids) and you get no crafting stones for any items you have equipped.

2. How are enemy mobs going to be beefed up in line with Heroes? How will this be defined/decided eg Player A is using their lvl 5 Hero while Player B uses a newly acquired lvl 1 Hero....so is it a lvl 5 battle (highest) or a lvl 3 (average)?

First let me address enemy mobs being beefed up. This is still being tweaked for complete balance. So as of now, as the levels go up, so do the monsters with static bonuses, such +1W strength, or +1W Armor. I am still testing that to get the perfect balance between challenging, snoozefest and fun.

The Difficulties of mobs will be based on the highest level of player in the group, so let's say that Jon wants to bring his level 6 Tribe Claw Barbarian and Drew wants to bring his level 1 tabbybrook mage, Drew will have a very hard time and the group will most likely fail unless they play to protect The Tabbybrook Mage, which isnt a guarantee using the current Arcade rules.

So it encourages you all to dungeon and quest together with characters of a similar level. Your first character is really supposed to be your "Main" and should be the first one doing end game raiding, There will be opportunities in festival games to earn things such XP potions to give to other characters in your guild house, etc.

3. How will a lvl 8-9 range Hero feel different in comparison to a lvl 1-2?

It will and it won't, that's kind of the point. My group of friends and I enjoy the characters and their uniqueness and abilities. So a level 1 - 2 is going to be the basic. The Hero at level 8-9 will be stronger as laid out above, I believe you ask a question about crafting and holding on to items, so Ill address that part after this. Level 8-9 will have access to more difficult quests, and a level 9 could be beginning of raid ready. A level 10 will be Raid ready, and farming gear. (Farming gear you say?) Yes, at level 10 you will gain unique crafting recipes to alter/create certain items to make a set. Example: If you have a Von Drakk Manor piece in all slots, you can take them to the forge to get a set bonus, which may be a set dice, or an ability versus undead.

A level 1 -2 is going to enter the dungeon pretty plainly as if you were doing a one off game. A level 8-9 character will feel as a hardened warrior who has seen much, is carrying treasure in with him/her between dungeons. Fighting to earn higher level loot and rewards.

4.At what rate will crafted Treasures be acquired in comparison to Heroes level? And are crafted items permanent, because that could nullify the lvl 7-10 rewards.

So this has a joint answer with the previous question.

Until you get to a level, you can craft loot items, potions, etc... Things that will be one use. Yes you will get the stone for "Disenchanting it" at the end of a dungeon if you still have it equipped.

So levels 1->6 you might start the dungeon with an extra potion if you can hold more than one, or you might start with a basic sword. There will be a crafting list that will be available to all players, and lie all things in this campaign, it will scale with the characters level.

For example, lets say you wanted to craft the Scarecrow's Scythe, A Unique high level treasure. I haven't determined which level a person can make this scythe yet, but it might not be until let's say level 9 to craft. And they might need certain crafting items or quests from higher level quests that will evolve with the game.

So crafting is pretty basic and does require minor "Farming" but your higher level characters will be questing and crafting for more epic rewards than those of just beginning their adventure.

Which means, no you can not have your level 10 Royal Paladin craft a level 10 treasure for your level 1 Riftling Rogue. It has to be crafted by the character itself and becomes soulbound.

5a. Are crafted treasures unique to that one players Guild?

Higher level items will be soulbound, and these items will specifically say it. However, crafting gems and ingredients can be traded freely between all players, I may even create a trading post on the forum where someone can post what they are looking for and what theyd be willing to trade for it. As morally grey as it may seem, perhaps they need a wing of Von Drakk to complete their armor set, They may offer Madame Hilde in trade for it.

5b. If so, how ingredient drops divided up? Is it a pool everyone uses or are they only gained by whoever makes the kill (which could lead to kill stealing and having to drag in DKP)?

This has been thought about to a large extent. The way it works, is for each loot item equipped at the end of an adventure, you gain 1(maybe 2) crafting gems of that stone color at the end of the adventure if you choose to disenchant it. At lower levels you have to disenchant all items anyway. If it is a red treasure, you get 3 (Maybe 4) crafting gems of that stone color at the end of the adventure if you choose to disenchant it.

Treasure items with an affinity will also create 3 (Maybe 4) of the affinity stone color.

This is of equipped items only mind you, things unequipped or in the backpack are lost. Here's the tricky part. So you got a lot of strength and armor, not much will or dex. So how do the players that didn't get that many items make out on this.

There were two systems that I have to run by my group. The first is, keep what you have, and just deal with it. Or, at the end, all the gems are summed up and either distributed as evenly as possible, with a roll off for any extras, or the group just distributes them as they see fit. For instance, they know that Adam's Shaman needs four more Citrine to craft his Voodoo Wand, so they give him those and divvy up the rest among themselves, etc... The exacts of how to do this is still up for discussion when my group meets saturday. But I may just say that any open slots on a character can take an item from the "Discard/Backpack" slot to fill that void to ensure that they get a gem in every slot. This way the only real advantage is if someone had a treasure, but as wit all treasures, its luck of the draw and usually decided on as a group who gets it, so maybe that person may give a stone or two to someone if they were the only one to get a treasure that was useful that adventure.

Let me now what you think of these answers, again, kinks are still being ironed out, but we are going to give this a full go I think on Saturday.

August 21st, 2017, 4:10 pm
Denizen

So I started the campaign and were going to tweak as we go. But the opening adventure for the group and first couple of dungeons and city visits and quests have all seemed to be going pretty well.

Someone actually crafted a potion bandolier to bring on their next dungeon.

So far its been fun and successful. Hope to report in as things progress that they are still going well. Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for feedback and messages.

August 30th, 2017, 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]