View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 New crossover minis 
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:
However, the cards were totally bent out of shape! ...
I worry if I can save my cards. One was bent almost 90 degrees near the bottom!
If you haven't already, send an email to info@sodapopminiatures.com and tell them about the damaged cards. As far as I know, they should be able to replace them.

(Keep in mind that it sounds like the emails are quite behind, so you'll probably have to wait quite awhile for a response.)

November 11th, 2017, 4:12 pm
Bottle Cap

I can say 2 months estimated waiting. Still waiting on a reply from my email out of October.

November 13th, 2017, 8:58 am
Minion

odinsgrandson wrote:
I forget that there are people who don't know about this one.

Scoring works just like it does with clay etc. You take a hobby knife and make hash marks, which increases the surface area for the super glue. It works with metal and resin minis.

If you're gluing broad surfaces together, it can work really well, but I also often use it when areas aren't convenient for pinning (like the wrists on infinity minis).

I haven't found a great deal of need for it with plastic to plastic joins, and it is less useful when you're converting things (because the ends probably don't align properly anyway).

Some people misjudge the strength of good superglue because they use a quick set spray. That stuff would never make it through the mail.

Thanks for the info, I will have to try it out.

The extra flashes on the miniatures don't bother me, and where easily fixed. The hero with the large hammer have a slight indentation on the face that does not look quite right. The base being plain is not that that big of an issue for me, but it does look somewhat disingenious to have the online store image displayed them on a sculpted base.

November 13th, 2017, 6:53 pm
Bottle Cap

Goblin-King wrote:
rudehero wrote:
The plain bases through me for a loop as well, but aren't a huge issue for me. Overall the figures all look absolutely stunning and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on them.

Waaiiiiiit whaaaaaaaat?

Didn't notice this before right now!
God gogging gammit! Why? Why why why?
A consistent look is very important to me. It was bad enough when they changed the design of the dungeon bases. This is actually a huge deal for me :(

The TK at least has a special themed sculpted base. That's okay. She is a crossover and she carries her own distinct theme with her.
I know the schoolgirls are also crossovers, but that's no excuse for just throwing in a plain base.

I sure hope they'll release a bag'o'bases at some point.

Is there any update on this? This is an important factor for me too. It was bad enough that all the Ninja crossovers didn't have the dungeon bases... I hope this isn't the pattern from now on.

December 14th, 2017, 7:37 am
Consul

Worship wrote:
Is there any update on this? This is an important factor for me too. It was bad enough that all the Ninja crossovers didn't have the dungeon bases... I hope this isn't the pattern from now on.

No update as such? It's just a fact that they come with plain black bases.

I wonder what kind of thought went into the decision to just include plain bases...
I mean... Sure I'm not in the miniature production business, but I imagine throwing in a dungeon base is basically free since they are already mass producing them? Seems like an odd place to cut corners.

December 14th, 2017, 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

They mass produce them in china, but the resin miniatures are not made in the same place afaik

December 14th, 2017, 9:39 pm
Bottle Cap

Goblin-King wrote:

I wonder what kind of thought went into the decision to just include plain bases...
I mean... Sure I'm not in the miniature production business, but I imagine throwing in a dungeon base is basically free since they are already mass producing them? Seems like an odd place to cut corners.

Yea I agree completely. Such a minor detail can throw off the entire collection (imo) I wish they would've just gave them all the same bases.

I guess by "update" I mean if there's any word from SP/ND on releasing separate dungeon bases or if there's a really good replica that the community is familiar with?

December 14th, 2017, 9:43 pm
Denizen

Worship wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:

Yea I agree completely. Such a minor detail can throw off the entire collection (imo) I wish they would've just gave them all the same bases.

I guess by "update" I mean if there's any word from SP/ND on releasing separate dungeon bases or if there's a really good replica that the community is familiar with?

impact miniatures make the dungeon style bases, have done for years now, as well as a plethora of other companies...

December 16th, 2017, 11:39 pm
Bottle Cap

Lizardman wrote:

impact miniatures make the dungeon style bases, have done for years now, as well as a plethora of other companies...

I saw the bases at Impact before, wasn't entirely sure if the style fit. I'll have to check them out again

December 19th, 2017, 2:34 am
Denizen

Worship wrote:
Lizardman wrote:

I saw the bases at Impact before, wasn't entirely sure if the style fit. I'll have to check them out again

they fit in just fine mate, got both the small and med/large ones for custom minis and they don't look out of place at all

December 19th, 2017, 11:01 pm
Bottle Cap

I just got my figures yesterday in the mail, and was surprised to find out that they weren't preassembled like the other figures would normally be.

Wondering if anyone could recommend me either the proper tools, materials and techniques for assembling the 3 new figures, or to just direct me to the proper SDE threads to see for myself what to do. I'm new to assembling models, and although I really want to play with these asap, I want to make sure that I assemble the new figures to be as sturdy and durable as possible.

December 24th, 2017, 5:19 am
Ninja Corps

Greetings Darkmoonowl. I was in a similar boat, I've been very comfortable with the pre-assembled, and was a little surprised by the challenge of trimming, de-flashing and assembling. I purchased this very affordable kit along with some super glue, and the side-cutters scissors alone were worth the purchase (along with the angled tweezers!). Hopefully that helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GH ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Pacer-Technology ... =zap+a+gap

*Edit - forgot one thing on technique. Recommend dipping the miniatures in mild soapy water to clean off the mold-release formula, rinsing well and allowing to dry prior to gluing, and definitely before painting. It will make sure there is no anti-sticking agent from the molds on the miniature prior to assembling.

December 24th, 2017, 5:26 am
Bottle Cap

Meankeb wrote:
Greetings Darkmoonowl. I was in a similar boat, I've been very comfortable with the pre-assembled, and was a little surprised by the challenge of trimming, de-flashing and assembling. I purchased this very affordable kit along with some super glue, and the side-cutters scissors alone were worth the purchase (along with the angled tweezers!). Hopefully that helps.

*Edit - forgot one thing on technique. Recommend dipping the miniatures in mild soapy water to clean off the mold-release formula, rinsing well and allowing to dry prior to gluing, and definitely before painting. It will make sure there is no anti-sticking agent from the molds on the miniature prior to assembling.

Oh wow, that was a quick reply!
Thanks a bunch, I'll wait a little before fully committing to purchasing those tools, but I do think they'll be solid to work with if I do go with those.

One or two specific things I'll also ask real quick:

1. I noticed that the slots of each base was a tad bit wide, and so the parts where the models would fit into the slots wouldn't be completely snug. Should I use something to put in between the slot, or just glue it to one side of the base's slot and assume that that will make it stable enough?

2. What's the best way to both store + transport my (loose) miniatures + cards, if anyone has any recommendations for certain materials + products. I've already started looking into varieties of foam from pirate labs*, though I have no clue what sort of container I'd place the foam in for both storage + transport, and as for whether or not I should invest in something like a deckbox for Magic; the Gathering cards to store the extra cards I have.

*I saw this specific product being sold, but I assume it would only be enough room for those specific minis from that particular set. Also, I assume that the other items wouldn't fit in the box with the foam occupying it...? Wondering if it's worth purchasing if it would keep my minis in a good condition.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFR2ZO2/_e ... 9OX9&psc=1

December 24th, 2017, 5:49 am
Denizen

Meankeb wrote:

Yeah this is all good info mate, also instead of using the dipping method to clean them (u GOTTA clean them, otherwise the glue won't stick properly nor will the paint) use an old toothbrush (soft probs better than hard, but old ones should be anywyas) and just give them a light scrub, it will clear the recesses a lot better

December 27th, 2017, 1:47 am
Minion

With it looking like there is more resin on the horizon wanted to close out a comment I'd made earlier in this thread. My TK had some flash between her thigh and the ground. Pretty significant, about the same as what someone else had posted a picture of.

I did end up getting it removed, but it was a long and tedious task due to the fact it was pretty well enclosed by various pieces of the model. Using an exacto I slowly scored and carved down the middle and then carved around the permieter of the flash finally pushing the two pieces through.

March 14th, 2018, 10:36 pm
Mini-Boss

rudehero wrote:
With it looking like there is more resin on the horizon wanted to close out a comment I'd made earlier in this thread. My TK had some flash between her thigh and the ground. Pretty significant, about the same as what someone else had posted a picture of.

I did end up getting it removed, but it was a long and tedious task due to the fact it was pretty well enclosed by various pieces of the model. Using an exacto I slowly scored and carved down the middle and then carved around the permieter of the flash finally pushing the two pieces through.

I am really hating their decision to use resin for this reason.

March 14th, 2018, 10:40 pm
Consul

Are there even any benefits for the customers regarding resin?
It's expensive and got horrible flash. Supposedly it holds details better, but is this even relevant? Seems like it only benefits highly detailed minis, which SDE is not even close to being.

Am I missing something?

March 15th, 2018, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Goblin-King wrote:
Are there even any benefits for the customers regarding resin?
It's expensive and got horrible flash. Supposedly it holds details better, but is this even relevant? Seems like it only benefits highly detailed minis, which SDE is not even close to being.

Am I missing something?

Likely also time and actually releases, resin molds are relatively quick to make (but not very durable) and not at the mercy of Chinese factories that increasingly in high demand. So
SPM can actually ship something for steady income.

I expect most if not all these single releases outside of the KS will be resin for the main reason above and the amount of coordination it takes to do plastic. Plus from what I've seen single simply don't sell as well as box sets so they make smaller and safer production orders.

March 15th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Minion

So ape2020's reply definitely shows how resin has a lot of benefits for SPM, but it also does benefit customers too. But probably not all, or at least benefiting the fanbase overall while annoying subsets; in particular completionists and non-American subsets.

The rapid production is definitely a boon for receiving things in a timely fashion, cutting Chinese production out of the loop simplifies logistics, and so overall should enable more frequent individual models to be released which is exciting for the game. Won't be seeing warbands obviously but heroes and potentially mini-boss/bosses add variety.

With smaller runs SPM can take more chances on design. This could produce some duds, but also could lead to really cool new models we wouldn't see otherwise. Now, that's not to say they will or that it's a goal of theirs for this process. But none the less it's possible.

However, as Goblin-King wrote it is more expensive. So especially for a completionist, feeling compelled to buy frequent releases at a higher price point is probably not a positive. Also, feeling like you need to buy a dud design to still have it all is obviously not a positive.

And if it's profitable for them and helps keep the lights on and the development happening that's a pro for anyone who enjoys the game even if they don't buy any of the resin figs.

I do hope they continue to refine their process with all their partners for all components though to make sure all the product is 100% quality. And also put a lot of thought into what is going to be in resin and what will be in plastic.

March 16th, 2018, 2:41 am
Ninja Corps

I'm just going to throw in and say, with regard to the resin, I think the minis end up looking way better. It's not monumental difference, but the detail on a resin model versus a decent plastic one is kind of like watching TV at 720 for a long time, then snapping into 4K. both are finely detailed. but there is a noticeable difference still.

So, all the logistics and costs and what not aside. I find t's a higher quality miniature once you have taken the standard measures with resin minis and cleaned them up.

March 16th, 2018, 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next