View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2018, 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Cooling Off on the Super Dungeon 
Mini-Boss

Masamune wrote:
Pretty much the most level headed response here. I just wish my bitching about the logo did something, the core rules are good and that legends was still a campaign add-on to sde. Now I don't know what im going to do with legends because it won't be anywhere close to pathfinder and the like, and it's hard enough to get a group together consistently enough for a light campaign board game, let alone an intro/training wheels RPG.

RPG for dummies.

Lessons of Professor Internet.
* So, you're MAD about something on internet...
* The art of wait.

August 9th, 2017, 2:16 pm
Mini-Boss

Nephastus wrote:
Masamune wrote:
Pretty much the most level headed response here. I just wish my bitching about the logo did something, the core rules are good and that legends was still a campaign add-on to sde. Now I don't know what im going to do with legends because it won't be anywhere close to pathfinder and the like, and it's hard enough to get a group together consistently enough for a light campaign board game, let alone an intro/training wheels RPG.

RPG for dummies.

I just double checked the Kickstarter page to see if there is a way that I could modify my order to get something other than Legends (for example get a copy of 2 ed rather than the Legends box), but of course you have to get that. Which, I guess makes sense, seeing as that is what being Kickstarted!

But at this point I feel like my Kickstarter is getting me a jump start on the new minis. The Legends Box will probably never be opened (by me) and will probably hit eBay as soon as I get it. :(

August 9th, 2017, 4:48 pm
Mini-Boss

I'm apt to keep the legends content for use with other, established combat-focused RPGS. More tiles and corridors are always useful. Depending on how the final version of the rules look, I can also see using the rules to transition my children into RPGs, but that depends as much as their interests as it does the legends rules.

Last edited by Major Glitch on August 9th, 2017, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2017, 5:13 pm
Mini-Boss

Spazzfist wrote:
But at this point I feel like my Kickstarter is getting me a jump start on the new minis. The Legends Box will probably never be opened (by me) and will probably hit eBay as soon as I get it. :(

PM me if you plan to sell spare parts from this box. I'm looking for extra amethyst and citrine dice.

* The art of wait.

August 9th, 2017, 5:13 pm
Bottle Cap

stormrage wrote:
They will have it done as soon as they can reasonably do so because they want it, you want it, and they want you to have it.

Thank you for your response.

August 10th, 2017, 5:09 pm
Minion

Major Glitch wrote:
I'm apt to keep the legends content for use with other, established combat-focused RPGS. More tiles and corridors are always useful. Depending on how the final version of the rules look, I can also see using the rules to transition my children into RPGs, but that depends as much as their interests as it does the legends rules.

Technically, the tiles and corridors are only part pf the KS pledge, not Legends.

Legends box has alt heroes, new dice, pre-made paper maps, tokens and rulebooks.

Only thing that would make me open the box right now is the alt heroes...

August 10th, 2017, 6:36 pm
Mini-Boss

Thanks for the clarification amarento. It's been so long that the freebies are blending with the actual content. The alt heroes will be important for my kids and the base game.

And I suppose there's the possibility the pre-made adventures will be worth running.

August 10th, 2017, 7:39 pm
Minion

I feel like good points have been made on both sides.

For me, personally, I can't speak on anything with 100% certainty. There are so many things that are still unknown variables, which is why people are so confused and so heated and also why we can't really have constructive discourse because we don't really have anything yet.

I know I'm really bummed about the current state of SDE right now. It was one of my first big forays into "serious" board gaming, but so much time has passed that my collection has amassed and I would pretty much rather play any game than SDE at this point. As others pointed out, this is probably mostly do to the psychological impact of the game being in rules limbo. Same reason I've stopped purchasing any more SDE products or expansions. As much as I want some of these minis, I'm not willing to risk any more investment in a game I don't know the future of.

I don't know what I expected Legends to be at first. I backed because I had FK but never got the base box. I'm one of the few people who LOVED arcade mode. Legends was icing on the cake. That being said, having it be similar to Mice and Mystics sounds awesome. I guess that's probably what I pictured when they talked about all these scenarios. Having it be like D&D Lite is extremely disappointing, because I already play D&D and SDE's already not extremely mechanically sound gameplay would never entice me to use it over my D20 system.

Someone mentioned Kingdom Death and that seemed a fairly ironic comparison as I own KD:M and it's one of the most clever and mechanically sound (and insanely huge) games I have ever played. I don't think it's fair to compare a reboot of an existing IP that's a fairly straightforward dungeon crawler to KD:M. The most frustrating part of SDE has always been its unnecessarily complex and fairly poorly written rulebook. That also being said, I cannot bash it because I still have no idea what the final product will look like. I can only hope we're all sitting here in a few months (?) talking about how ridiculous we all were for doubting the project to this degree. The cynic in me won't let me believe it, but I'll still reserve final judgement until the game arrives.

As has already been stated, games like Arcadia Quest, Gloomhaven, KD:M, Descent, etc. are already filling that niche in the market extremely well with better rules and mechanics than SDE ever had. I think the biggest problem with this whole kickstarter is what OP said: timing. The game is late, interests have waned, improvements to the system are not enough to restoke hype, and there is a tangible feeling of regret in the air. And that's honestly a real shame.

August 11th, 2017, 5:23 am
Mini-Boss

Impossibeard wrote:
I feel like good points have been made on both sides.

For me, personally, I can't speak on anything with 100% certainty. There are so many things that are still unknown variables, which is why people are so confused and so heated and also why we can't really have constructive discourse because we don't really have anything yet.

I know I'm really bummed about the current state of SDE right now. It was one of my first big forays into "serious" board gaming, but so much time has passed that my collection has amassed and I would pretty much rather play any game than SDE at this point. As others pointed out, this is probably mostly do to the psychological impact of the game being in rules limbo. Same reason I've stopped purchasing any more SDE products or expansions. As much as I want some of these minis, I'm not willing to risk any more investment in a game I don't know the future of.

I don't know what I expected Legends to be at first. I backed because I had FK but never got the base box. I'm one of the few people who LOVED arcade mode. Legends was icing on the cake. That being said, having it be similar to Mice and Mystics sounds awesome. I guess that's probably what I pictured when they talked about all these scenarios. Having it be like D&D Lite is extremely disappointing, because I already play D&D and SDE's already not extremely mechanically sound gameplay would never entice me to use it over my D20 system.

Someone mentioned Kingdom Death and that seemed a fairly ironic comparison as I own KD:M and it's one of the most clever and mechanically sound (and insanely huge) games I have ever played. I don't think it's fair to compare a reboot of an existing IP that's a fairly straightforward dungeon crawler to KD:M. The most frustrating part of SDE has always been its unnecessarily complex and fairly poorly written rulebook. That also being said, I cannot bash it because I still have no idea what the final product will look like. I can only hope we're all sitting here in a few months (?) talking about how ridiculous we all were for doubting the project to this degree. The cynic in me won't let me believe it, but I'll still reserve final judgement until the game arrives.

As has already been stated, games like Arcadia Quest, Gloomhaven, KD:M, Descent, etc. are already filling that niche in the market extremely well with better rules and mechanics than SDE ever had. I think the biggest problem with this whole kickstarter is what OP said: timing. The game is late, interests have waned, improvements to the system are not enough to restoke hype, and there is a tangible feeling of regret in the air. And that's honestly a real shame.

Very concise and thoughtful, I couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

I personally didn't have the ability to playtest any of the rules changes, so I am hoping my fellow fans were able to create a balanced final product (the rules as written seem good, but until I can play, I don't know for sure if they are to my liking). Investment into SDE is one of the reasons I have avoided some of the others you mentioned, at least for my personal collection.

The thing about SPM, at least for me, is that their games tend to have so much more character than their competition. And while that won't save a game from bad rules, it will help it to stand out in a crowded market if the rules are solid. So I want to see what the other components of the Legends rules look like before I pass final judgement. Just because the character system is rather simple compared to most other RPGs, if it works for it's intended role, I'll be satisfied in some fashion.

August 11th, 2017, 6:44 am
Minion

All I have to say is: "Better nut up ND/SPM! They are taking NO prisoners!!!" XD

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

August 17th, 2017, 1:52 am
Bottle Cap

insider714 wrote:
All I have to say is: "Better nut up ND/SPM! They are taking NO prisoners!!!" XD

Invalid link.

August 17th, 2017, 1:42 pm
Mini-Boss

Tarlach wrote:
insider714 wrote:

Invalid link.

Worked for me. Here it is.

I, for one, am suitably impressed!

August 17th, 2017, 3:05 pm
Denizen

Looks very cool, but I think next Arcadia Quest needs to implement full co-op campaign using existing models or at least team vs team mode so that I continue supporting it. I only have played the game once (like it personally), but it divided opinions within play group. One didn't have a great time with Arcadia Quest due to his poor luck; I think he actually enjoyed Super Dungeon Explore (final rules). The game did take too much time in my opinion, though, so maybe Justin gets to the 2 tiles variant at some point.

August 17th, 2017, 5:31 pm
Mini-Boss

nakano wrote:
Looks very cool, but I think next Arcadia Quest needs to implement full co-op campaign (...).

When they do the co-op, RPG-Lite and arena modes for Arcadia Quest, probably it will take the place of my Super Dungeon collection. For a while, both collections stay on my shelf.
Almost all characters, heroes and monsters, from Hero Quest can be switched by miniatures from Arcadia Quest to make an archaic co-op game.

Some extra copies of Sir Bryce fits perfectly as Chaos Warriors.
Image Image

* The art of wait.

August 17th, 2017, 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4