View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Renaming Classes - Ideas? 
Mini-Boss

So it was mentioned in the update today that the names of each "Class" are not set in stone. It is one thing that kind of bothered me, so I am glad we might still have some input. My thoughts on this is that Class should be more of a description of their role. Having a Paladin Class Royal Paladin sounds dumb and redundant. Here are some ideas I had for the current list:

(STR/Light) Defender
(STR/Dark) Brigand
(STR/Spirit) Tank
(STR/Fae) Ravager
(WILL/Light) Acolyte
(WILL/Dark) Trickster
(WILL/Spirit) Arcanist
(WILL/Fae) Spiritwalker
(DEX/Light) Hawkeye
(DEX/Dark) Shadow
(DEX/Spirit) Brawler
(DEX/Fae) Warden

Some were harder to come up with than others, but I still think it's better than the Class list currently. What other names would you come up with?

May 13th, 2017, 1:55 am
Minion

Hey, this is a good list!! Far more generic than the original one, and this is a good thing IMO.

I just find the term "Tank" out of place. This is more a role in a team, plus it doesn't fit in this setting IMO. Maybe "Strongman", "rock-hard fighter", "Die hard" or something like that?

Maybe "ravager" is a bit darkly connoted? Let's try : Fierce fighter?

May 13th, 2017, 6:36 am
Minion

I don't see a wrong with SPM's list. Sure there is redundancy and some job names really don't sound like jobs, but maybe they are in SDE universe. For the sake of suggestions if it helps SPM, here are a few:

Class     [original]           - Example Jobs       [Original]
Paladin    [Paladin (STR/Light)]    - Royal Guardian       [Royal Guardian]
Black Knight  [Black Knight (STR/Dark)] - Warrior, Dragoon      [Riftling Warrior]
Fighter    [Fighter (STR/Spirit)]    - Gladiator, Skirmisher    [Hearthsworn Fighter]
Barbarian   [Barbarian (STR/Fae)]   -  Berserker, Beastmaster   [Claw Tribe Barbarian]
Healer     [Cleric (WILL/Light)]    -  Cleric, Priest, White Mage  [Sister of Light]
Witch     [Witch (WILL/Dark)]    -  Hexer, Oracle         [Hexcast Sorceress]
Spellcastes  [Mage (WILL/Spirit)]    -  Mage, Summoner     [Ember Mage]
Spiritspeaker [Druid (WILL/Fae)]     -  Druid, Animal caretaker  [Deeproot Druid]
Scout     [Archer (DEX/Light)]    -  Archer, Celestial Herald  [Celestial Herald]
Rogue     [Rogue (DEX/Dark)]    -  Thief, Ninja        [Riftling Rogue]
Monk     [Monk (DEX/Spirit)]    -  Geomancer        [Chaos Kitty] 
Ranger    [Ranger (DEX/Fae)]    -  Herbalist          [Glimmerdusk Ranger]

May 13th, 2017, 8:04 am
Minion

Most of the names are fine for me, they do have connections to existing Heroes so if their jobs are included it might sound odd, but oh well!

For my list:

STR/Light - Templar (going more for law/order/holy themed warrior than the straight up Paladin)
STR/Dark - Dark Knight (or maybe take Ravager, sounds evilish)
STR/Spirit - Fighter (no real need to change it)
STR/Fae - Barbarian (barbs are warriors who channel spirits and primal forces at times, it fits)

WIL/Light - Cleric
WILL/Dark - Witch
WILL/Spirit - Mage
WILL/Fae - Druid (these 4 are all fine to me, encapsulate their roles well)

DEX/Light - either Justiciar, Hunter, Inquisitor, Herald (going for the more vengeful side of the Goddesses worshipers, Witch Hunters and the like)
DEX/Dark - Rogue (possibly switch to something like Thief or Bandit, but those sound more like personalities as opposed to the nature of their class; Assassin is a bit too much, Shadow does sound good though)
DEX/Spirit - Martial Artist (can encapsulate a wide variety of combat styles: bushido/kendo - Samurai, ninjitsu - Ninja, fencing - Duelist, unarmed - Monk)
DEX/Fae - Ranger (its a usually archer like person who wanders the wilds....doesn't need to be fixed)

May 13th, 2017, 8:22 am
Minion

I like the DEX/Spirit "Martial Artist"!!!!

May 13th, 2017, 10:51 am
Minion

I'll try some may be redundant because of others post or the name is actually fine. Changed names are bold.

(STR/Light) Templar/Marshal
(STR/Dark) Death Knight (Why not?)
(STR/Spirit) Fighter/Warrior
(STR/Fae) Barbarian

(WILL/Light) Cleric
(WILL/Dark) Witch
(WILL/Spirit) Mage
(WILL/Fae) Druid/Shaman

(DEX/Light) Inquistor
(DEX/Dark) Rogue
(DEX/Spirit) Duelist
(DEX/Fae) Scout

May 13th, 2017, 5:23 pm
Consul

I agree with INO; the names need to be as generic as possible, with the jobs being the specific aspect.
Class is *what* the hero does - job is *how* he does it.

I still think they should throw classes away as a concept though and JUST have jobs (and call THEM classes).

May 13th, 2017, 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
I agree with INO; the names need to be as generic as possible, with the jobs being the specific aspect.
Class is *what* the hero does - job is *how* he does it.

I still think they should throw classes away as a concept though and JUST have jobs (and call THEM classes).

I agree with this, because if they are choosing multiple "jobs" from one "class" then it could easily be listed, under the required STAT/Resource to pick that class.

EX: WILL/Spirit: Ember Mage, Tabbybrook Mage, Lightning Mage

EDIT: I'm surprised we didn't get any examples of what jobs will be in some of these classes. Two or three would have been great.

May 13th, 2017, 6:02 pm
Minion

Samgillians wrote:
EDIT: I'm surprised we didn't get any examples of what jobs will be in some of these classes. Two or three would have been great.

Yeah, we discuss week by week around very few data... Those "designer diary" and "Q&A" are slow, bring few, and keep us in the dark, waiting...

So frustrating!

May 14th, 2017, 6:39 am
Minion

The major goal of these Q&A is to have us wait and give ideas... that Deke can use later... Before he decides again to rework all because our first beta feedback might be awful...
Yeah, the pace is making me a bit salty...

May 14th, 2017, 7:27 am
Minion

It'll probably be about another month and a half before we even start the Legends beta.

May 14th, 2017, 11:51 am
Denizen

I actually like all the original class names with the exception of Archer (no relationship to Light), and Monk (not as generic as Fighter or Mage, too... monastic).

I still prefer simply swapping those two.

May 15th, 2017, 4:56 am
Minion

Tranc wrote:
I actually like all the original class names with the exception of Archer (no relationship to Light), and Monk (not as generic as Fighter or Mage, too... monastic).

I still prefer simply swapping those two.

I agree those are the only two that really need changed (Although "Black Knight" is next on the list.).

I really like the term "Scout" proposed earlier in the thread to replace "Archer". The Celestial Archer is very scout-ish looking.

May 15th, 2017, 6:20 am
Denizen

But Scout has no association to Light either...

May 15th, 2017, 7:15 am
Minion

Tranc wrote:

Boy scout?

May 16th, 2017, 5:47 am
Ninja Corps

Foxwhisperer wrote:
Tranc wrote:

Boy scout?

Sailor Scouts? :P :P :P

-ape2020

May 16th, 2017, 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]