View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 1:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Who is What- Classic Heroes to Legends 
Minion

Samgillians wrote:
Job class as a whole is very common term as well.

But since I derailed the entire thread right off the rip, think it'll be possible to put a NAS hero list together? Based on the character themselves without stat cards.

I am to lazy to attempt it at the moment cause i would have to drag out all my cards.

You mean to fit within the 12 Class types? Or stat them for SDE, because I am sure somebody somewhere has done it.

Also aren't they all in the rulebook? Just drag that out :D

May 4th, 2017, 7:21 pm
Consul

Samgillians wrote:

Really? I've been playing the wrong games - I swear I have never encountered it! :lol:

I wanna look it up to see how they handle it. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) throw some titles at me?

May 4th, 2017, 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
Samgillians wrote:

Really? I've been playing the wrong games - I swear I have never encountered it! :lol:

I wanna look it up to see how they handle it. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) throw some titles at me?

Mainly Final Fantasy, here's an exert from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Character classes have been present in Final Fantasy since the first title, where players chose a character class from the outset. Kawazu created this system to give players freedom to customize the party. For Final Fantasy II, jobs were attached to specific characters. Each character class in a Final Fantasy game has unique abilities which develop as the player's level increases. In some titles, the player can assign a character a specific class at the start of the game, while others allow characters to combine and learn abilities from a number of classes. In addition to other abilities, a character's class usually determines the types of weapons and armor that they can use.

Final Fantasy III saw the introduction of the Job Change System: through special crystals, the four player characters were granted a variety of jobs or character classes that could be switched at any point by the player. The Job Change system was initially proposed by Sakaguchi as he wanted to give players freedom to customize the party members: with five characters with eight jobs each, the team needed to create forty different pixel portraits. The Job System has continued to have a strong role in the series, being most prominent in Final Fantasy V with twenty-two available jobs. Jobs have recurring functions throughout the series. Some of the more traditional classes include the Warrior/Fighter, the Dragoon, the Thief and variations on magical classes such as White and Black Mages. More original classes have appeared throughout the series, such as Bards, Scholars, and Summoners. Due to the series' popularity, they have become staples of RPGs since their debut. The complexity and scope of the class system varies from game to game. The original Final Fantasy XIV did away with the Job System in favour of a character class-driven system where equipment determined skills and growth. For the later stages of Final Fantasy XIV and later A Realm Reborn, the Job System was reintroduced as a second level to the current class system.[87][88] Many Jobs, such as the Dragoon, the Summoner, and the Red Mage have become closely identified with the series.

Other games with it are Bravely Default but it took a lot of influence from the earlier FF games, so much that people claim its one of the best FF games to come out for years.

May 4th, 2017, 7:40 pm
Minion

Ragnarok online uses both they are interchange it a lot.

WoW I think using them both the same way, with Profession being actual jobs.

I'm certain there is many more and maybe it might be the language barrier between us as well that the translations may be different from region to region. Or I could had just made myself out to be a liar and many games don't use them as one in the same. Although when I refer to character classes I prefer to use just the term class.

@Danteire yeah to put them in the 12 classes, they are missing Hanzo and the White ninja (Do not want to attempt to spell his name.) in the rule book though. Not sure if any others are missing. I don't even play the game I just wanted more chibi miniatures.

EDIT: This is why if they do a class system like they plan, and have it branch off it would be better to use Spec or Specialization, maybe even consider calling it a archetype? This way you can't be confused.

May 4th, 2017, 7:45 pm
Minion

Samgillians wrote:
@Danteire yeah to put them in the 12 classes, they are missing Hanzo and the White ninja (Do not want to attempt to spell his name.) in the rule book though. Not sure if any others are missing. I don't even play the game I just wanted more chibi miniatures.

EDIT: This is why if they do a class system like they plan, and have it branch off it would be better to use Spec or Specialization, maybe even consider calling it a archetype? This way you can't be confused.

Yeah I just checked, Hanzo, Yokozuna, Arashikage and Bakusho Mondai EDIT: Ooops missed Onryo and Goemon too aint there either (and I also am too lazy to root round for cards). Problem is that 90% of them will fall into either STR/Spirit or DEX/Spirit seeing as they are mainly physical fighters.

Also agree on the "Archetype" term, suits what SPM are trying to imply with it better than "Class".

May 4th, 2017, 7:59 pm
Consul

Danteire wrote:
Mainly Final Fantasy, here's an exert from Wikipedia:

Other games with it are Bravely Default but it took a lot of influence from the earlier FF games, so much that people claim its one of the best FF games to come out for years.

Well, if it's basically just one franchise (and it's imitator) who use that specific term, I'd say it's not a general term :?

Samgillians wrote:
WoW I think using them both the same way, with Profession being actual jobs.

WoW uses classes for what kind of hero you are. I agree professions is something I'd feel better about calling jobs. But in WoW at least they are something entirely optional besides the main game.

Samgillians wrote:

I suggested exactly this a while back ;)

Goddammit SPM! Give us something real to talk about! We are fighting for scraps here! :lol:

May 4th, 2017, 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Tomorrow will tell a lot more. Something I am really interested in is how everything has changed from when they started this kickstarter till now (in between missions, items, things of that nature.)

If the druid can shapeshift into different things that will make me happy, and how about him summoning some plants and forest animals?

May 4th, 2017, 8:29 pm
Minion

What I would love to see is a system that can be used to make any of the existing heroes. I don't believe that's entirely possible, to be honest, since an automated system isn't going to be able to balance for playtesting. But it would be amazing if they could whip out any character card and see exactly how he was put together.

And at the same time, I'm in a bit of a once-bitten situation here. Dungeon Saga had a character generator that you could use to create any of the characters that came with the game... and that part of Dungeon Saga was a freaking disaster. I remember it with an internal shudder.

So maybe I don't want to see exactly that. In fact, maybe the rules create characters, and the existing cards are supposed to be experienced characters who developed differently over time, and thus have completely different stats, and you can't actually choose one of them to play.

May 4th, 2017, 8:36 pm
Minion

Samgillians wrote:
If the druid can shapeshift into different things that will make me happy, and how about him summoning some plants and forest animals?

Well he can summon briars and has plant armour, so can assume he has both nature spells alongside the morphing in his bag o tricks. Could lead to 2 divergent ways to build a "Druid" Class: nature (plants + healing) and shapeshifting. And if it goes that way there are plenty of mini combinations to make your own shapeshifters: Captain of the Guards mace looks very similar to the Bearstruck Berzerker, either the Chunin or Madoushi and the Oni for most NAS clans.

May 4th, 2017, 8:45 pm
Minion

Also....I was bored (and really need to get out more). BTW, I kinda treated Light as more Law/Order/Nobility and Fae as Primal/Nature as opposed to the more direct magical connotations.

Paladin (STR/Light)
Mizuchi (Captain of a fleet guarding the oceans...kinda noble)
Goemon
Momotaro

Black Knight (STR/Dark)
Akkorokamui (Pirate...kinda dickish)
Bomechan
Kappa

Fighter (STR/Spirit)
Mizaru
Son Goku (maybe Barbarian for the monkey asthetic)
Miyamoto Mushashi
Wandering Samurai
Howl & Yip
Benkei

Barbarian (STR/Fae)
Byakko
Yobuko
Ondori Clan Kaiken

Cleric (WILL/Light)
Moon Princess

Witch (WILL/Dark)
Tamamo No Mae (she beguiles and tricks folks, kinda mean)
Onryo
Onibaba

Mage (WILL/Spirit)
Shojo (kinda like the alchemist.....but through booze)

Druid (WILL/Fae)
Tengu

Archer (DEX/Light)
Zenyo Ryu
Mochizuki (mainly for her ranged attack....but she is an assassin :| )

Rogue (DEX/Dark)
Uzumaki
Arashikage
Hanzo
Dark Kitsune

Monk (DEX/Spirit)
Karura (maybe Ranger with his bird motif)
Ryu (is an actual Monk...so easy!)

Ranger (DEX/Fae)
Inu Clan Kaiken

??? (???/???)
Bakusho Mondai

Did kinda shuffle them round to fill empty slots but kinda surprised how much variety you can get.

May 4th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Minion

Bakusho Mondai is a special case, he can be any class you want. I image if I was to give him a class it would be a dancer/bard type class, but we don't have that.

May 5th, 2017, 10:36 am
Mini-Boss

Goblin-King wrote:
Samgillians wrote:

"Character Class" is a D&D term- it tends to be used in D20 games and games that emulate the system in one way or another, but tends to be used by players despite their game's unique terms (like how they call all Game Masters the "DM").

"Job" is a Final Fantasy term.

"Archetype" is the Shadowrun term.

"Archetype and Career" is the Iron Kingdoms term (which is the character creation system that I think they're going for- very quick, but very diverse as well).

Every World of Darkness game has a separate term (Shade, Clan, Moon Phase or whatever).

I'm trying to remember the Savage Worlds term. I think they used Job.

May 7th, 2017, 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Samgillians wrote:
Bakusho Mondai is a special case, he can be any class you want. I image if I was to give him a class it would be a dancer/bard type class, but we don't have that.

Maybe Ninja Cola's Job? It involves pouncing as a 1 action, so there's a lot of 'dancing' type stuff going on.

May 7th, 2017, 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

odinsgrandson wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:
Samgillians wrote:

"Character Class" is a D&D term- it tends to be used in D20 games and games that emulate the system in one way or another, but tends to be used by players despite their game's unique terms (like how they call all Game Masters the "DM").

"Job" is a Final Fantasy term.

"Archetype" is the Shadowrun term.

"Archetype and Career" is the Iron Kingdoms term (which is the character creation system that I think they're going for- very quick, but very diverse as well).

Every World of Darkness game has a separate term (Shade, Clan, Moon Phase or whatever).

I'm trying to remember the Savage Worlds term. I think they used Job.

Savage worlds doesn't have any sort of class system. The closest thing it has are edges classified as professional edges. Otherwise it's a free-form system.

May 8th, 2017, 5:16 am
Minion

There are archetypes which allow you to choose pre determined stat distribution though

May 8th, 2017, 10:35 am
Mini-Boss

Anyway, I think I agree that the word "Class" might be used in an unintuitive way here- because "Job" seems to fit the bill much better.

Iron Kingdoms has something very similar, and they use the term "Archetype" (it determines if your character is primarily dexterous, strong, smart or magical).

There are a number of things that don't quite fit based on the Q&A (it didn't mention swapping out def stats instead of using your prime stat for damage).

Will a Monk use ARM for defense and Dex to punch enemies? Probably not.

May 11th, 2017, 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Guys, don't forget the Ogre Battle franchise!

May 12th, 2017, 4:59 pm
Minion

They really need to draw from that franchise, along with FFT, I want a hero like Reis (shapeshift hero) and Construct 8 (I love automatons, Daedalus and Hephaestus are my heroes).

May 12th, 2017, 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2