View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Legends 
Mini-Boss

The rules for Bone piles should be written in a bit more specifically if they can be removed as with one action, it's much more expensive. Or maybe there needs to be a limited spawning pool of them so it's not infinite.

June 18th, 2018, 6:10 am
Mini-Boss

Super Dungeon Hero Academy Playtest

I had some friends over to playtest my first Super Dungeon Legends campaign, Super Dungeon Hero Academy Chapter 1 (of 3/TBD).

We had 4 heroes with players that are familiar with Gloomhaven, Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0, and PnP roleplaying (definitely more than me).

Including dinner and setup, the entire Chapter of 12 encounters took about 4 hours to play. This is mostly due to the PCs spending a lot of unexpected time trying to steal everything that wasn't nailed down and some combat encounters taking significantly longer due to player strategy and inefficient scripting on my part.

About the Adventure:
1) Narrative inspired by Harry Potter
2) 8 NPCs, some inspired by Frozen
3) 5 monsters not included in SDL Beta Bestiary
4) 12 Encounters - 8 non-combat and 4 combat encounters
5) Playable with retail tiles (Von Drakk Manor), monsters (VDM Level Box), and tokens, dice from FK. The biggest proxy issue I have is there is not a Door token (there is an option to use FK tokens) so I used stands from Swords and Sorcery, but reckon this is something many Consul/DMs will have a solution for.
6) 44 pages (but this includes ToC and cover sheet)
7) Current runtime - up to 4 hours

Chaos Kitty Kat (Ninja Cola), Deeproot Wolfrider Barbara (Clawtribe Barbarian), Riftling Rogue Rogue (Twilight Knight), and Clarion Kazoo (Wandering Minstrel) join the Frostbyte Heroes in Training (HITs) and Emerald Valley HITs at the Glauerdoom Hero Academy Orientation.

Orientation is over and the Heroes are left to Explore the Academy. They quickly find that this is not Skyrim and there are not a plethora of things to just take. Sometimes a Fireplace is JUST a Fireplace.

The Heroes explore the Mess Hall and find Self Serve Food Stations. Rogue decides to take store some Prime Rib in her cape.

The Heroes explore the Courtyard and Classroom to find the other Heroes in Training (HITs) training with other instructors. Barbara has decided to take a nap in the Mess Hall.

Barbara explores the Dorms and Calls Dibs on the....Storage Room as the Party's Bedroom. She immediately goes to sleep!

The Party goes to their first Training session with Herald Vickie to learn how to Disarm Traps and Open Chests.

The Frostbyte HITs show up for some competition. Vickie thinks there needs to be MORE TRAPS.

The Heroes are able to TIE the Frostbyte HITs in Disarming Traps. 5 Bonus Brownie Points for everyone!

The Heroes spend some time in the Mess Hall meeting the other HITs. They get into a Dwarven Food Fight!

After a brutal Combat Training Session with Ser Oliver, the party heads to the Classroom Storage to procure some Potions.

They overhear the Instructors as they leave!

The Heroes must fight to wake up in the Dorms to find Who's Rattling those Bones?

They're greeted by Rattlebones as they force open their door!

It turns out that Clarion Kazoo's Uplifting Fanfare (during which he literally played Kazoo music on his phone) is OP when it grants +1W attack vs. monsters in Aura 3 vs. 0W ARM monsters! As a primarily Missile party, most of the heroes had to Move to create enough distance to use their Missile Attack.

The Heroes clear the Dorms of Rattlebones and enter the Mess Hall Mess.

Dread Knights spawn as the heroes adopt a classic pull and hit them with Ranged attacks strategy. They are unable to wake or reach the other HITs.

Poor Rattlebones don't understand how to climb Tables! They keep getting falling (knocked) down.

The Heroes are able to clear the Undead from the Mess Hall, but Barbara also falls down on the table!

The Heroes move onto the Great Hall Gambit to find the Instructors holding off the Undead! Shallow Graves? In the Academy? How did this happen?!

The Instructors and Heroes push against the mass of Undead, chipping away at the monsters as they respawn. They are able to thin the horde and defeat the Spawn Points.

After the Great Hall has been cleared, the Heroes go in search of Herald Vickie. What are all these Traps doing in the Classroom?!

The Heroes discuss the Aftermath. What happens next in Super Dungeon Hero Academy?

================
I'm going to update/retune the issues I found for SDHA Ch. 1 before I release it (hopefully this weekend) for open playtest.

I have the narrative written for Ch. 2 and Ch. 3, but given the time/energy devoted to pounding this out in a week, I think I will likely take a break and try to work on some easier, maybe 1 shot adventures so I don't get burned out.

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on June 23rd, 2018, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2018, 5:38 am
Denizen

This is super cool man! I'm glad to see you taking this on. I really dig the Harry Potter vibe too! Keep it up!

June 23rd, 2018, 6:13 am
Minion

Looks great! I also really like the Harry Potter theme.

I'll be keen to playtest this when/if you release it.

Facebook
Twitter

June 23rd, 2018, 7:01 am
Mini-Boss

It is my pleasure to release: Super Dungeon Hero Academy Ch 1 v1.0

About the Adventure:
1) Narrative inspired by Harry Potter
2) 8 NPCs, some inspired by Frozen
3) 4 monsters/1 spawn point (not included in SDL Beta Bestiary)
4) 12 Encounters - 8 non-combat and 4 combat encounters
5) Playable with retail tiles (Von Drakk Manor), monsters (VDM Level Box), and tokens & dice from FK.
6) 46 pages (but this includes cover sheet, ToC, and Foreword)
7) Playtested runtime /w v0.4 - ~4 hours (Can be MUCH shorter. YMMV)

Enjoy!

June 24th, 2018, 5:23 am
Minion

We playtested Holy Cross’s Chapter 3 “Ascend the Mountain” this weekend. Spoilers for the campaign will follow:

Encounter A - This recap encounter was a good reminder since we haven’t been able to play for several weeks. Hubby didn’t think this room needed a map, he’s too used to only using maps for combat encounters.

Encounter B - Lady Vengeance critically hits a Planeswalker with her Bloodrage ability. Ri’Nandi and Xiao Xiao finish off the second to prevent them from summoning reinforcements. Ark and Lady V finish off the Troll Chieftain and the others mop up the rest of the trolls. Lady V is hitting very hard now and critting often thanks to Bloodrage. No problems with this encounter either.

Encounter C - The party met the witch in the woods and gained the Cursebane potion. This encounter left us with some questions and confusion regarding Cursebane. Since it is a potion, does it take an action to use? Because the curse is applied at the beginning of the encounter before initiative, perhaps not, but because it is a potion, does it require spending a potion token? If so, can they not use it if they don’t have tokens? Do they have one Cursebane each which is consumed or can they use it indefinitely? We thought it was unclear.

Encounter D - We don’t own the original kobolds set so we subbed in using the Claws of the Wyrm warband, led by meddling twin Succubi (representing the Dragon Priest and Ser Snapjaw). In the first part of the encounter, Lady V made quick work of the kobolds using a Holy Oil item. We wanted to know how you handled the lava sections of the map. I had Hubby roll a DEX check to jump across, catching on fire if he failed. In the second encounter Ri’nandi was knocked out several times. He was rezzed by Ark once, and then healed with hearts. Ri’Nandi drank a Holy Water item to make himself immune to status effects. Hubby stated that the druid clearly needed more armour.

During the final stage of the encounter, Ri’Nandi survived better against the kobolds’ attacks. Lady V damaged herself in order to put down the meddling succubus (Ser Snapjaw) and Xiao Xiao destroyed the Kobold Warrens. With the spawning point down, the heroes were more easily able to dispatch the kobolds. Ri’Nandi was very suspicious of the lever, checking it thoroughly for traps. He was also suspicious of the pool of water, so much so that he almost missed out on its healing benefits, but ultimately curiosity prevailed.

Encounter E - Hubby was very happy to be fighting Ark. “Excellent,” he grinned, “a worthy foe.” Ri’Nandi shapeshifted for WILL and drank an Ogreshine, taking two wounds in the process. He then slowed and poisoned Ark with a Stranglethorn attack. Lady V also drank an Ogreshine potion, suffering a wound. She then took another wound in order to reroll her attack to make it into a crit. I reminded hubby that he just hurt himself for 4 damage and he has no healer, but he clearly wanted to play the high risk game. Ark had taken 5 damage in the first turn and he is unable to attack due to Poison. I decide to heal him for 2 hearts instead. Ri’Nandi drank the last Ogreshine and cast Strangethorn again, clearly intending to lock Ark down for the entire fight! All I could do was keep healing Ark and hope that the druid would eventually miss. Finally Ri’Nandi ran out of health to sacrifice and he decided to drink a potion to heal himself. I took the opportunity to unleash a Righteous Fury attack on the whole party before Ark succumbed. In the end I had to cheat a little: I gave Ark one additional heart and I let him teleport further than 3 squares during his attack move, but even so the fight swung hugely in the heroes favour as they gimped this fight! Feedback: ugh. Perhaps Ark should be immune to status effects?

Anyway no matter, Hubby enjoyed it at least :P

Facebook
Twitter

June 24th, 2018, 11:55 am
Mini-Boss

I had similar questions about cursebane when i read through ch. 3. I don't think @Holy Cross has clarified (or I don't remember his response), but I know he is working on revisions to TAK (at least Ch. 1).

The class/job options and Ranks have huge variability and power level for different parties. I'm glad the option exists for Ri'Nandi to go from Tank to Glass Cannon, but it makes it very hard to balance/tune in a pre-made adventure (I had similar issues in SDHA and figured, oh well).

Giving Immunities is one way to counter it in a pre-made, but then this is not always fun for the party when their abilities just 'don't work/don't matter', but I think it's maybe the right thing to do or add a mechanism to reduce the probability of a narrative/plot boss from being trivialized. Technically SDL relies on the Consul to interpret what needs/should happen and 'make it so' within the context of the adventure, so fudging Ark's HP and increasing his teleport range I think is absolutely appropriate and expected when 'someone' adds OgreShine items to the adventure....;)

For the Lava, there are examples in the SDL Beta materials where you can do as you did - have them avoid it or take attribute tests with options for outcomes for failure.

What was the playtime for Ch. 3? That's as far as I've read at this point, but I feel I need to read the rest of the campaign now to steal ideas for SDHA ^^;;

June 24th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Minion

I think duration was about 4 hours, but we did break it up into two different days due to other commitments.

Facebook
Twitter

June 25th, 2018, 4:36 am
Denizen

@Aella13, Sleepy Laughter:

Curse Bane is intended as a potion additive. You gain it permanently and can spend a potion to negate curse effects before an encounter begins. It does not cost an action.

Aella, thanks for the feedback as a whole. It definitely influences the revisions as I rework this from the bottom up. It’s a slow process but I have some ...inside help from SPM ;)

June 25th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Employee

I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and it's really heartening to see.

Had some hard times personally the last few months and it was always nice to login and see this. Thank you.

Email: justin.gibbs@ninjadivision.com

June 26th, 2018, 9:30 pm
Denizen

Hey Justin! Good to see you here! I hope you’re doing better! Many of us have come together as a community to get Legends rolling already. I hope you have a chance to check out my campaign.

June 27th, 2018, 5:47 am
Mini-Boss

Welcome back Justin! We all missed you. Playtesting with you was the most fun I had with Super Dungeon in years. Glad to hear you are doing okay.

June 27th, 2018, 9:53 pm
Ninja Corps

Welcome back Justin. Very glad to hear from you.

June 29th, 2018, 3:58 am
Minion

We playtested Holy Cross’s Chapter 4 “Trapped in the Rifts” this weekend. Spoilers for the campaign will follow:

Encounter A – We used Chimera models to represent the Crown warband. Hubby was upset to lose his characters as he has just levelled up and was excited about using them. He noted that he wasn’t able to do any roleplaying because the characters aren’t his.

Encounter B – Hubby asked “Why can’t I use a Phoenix Down to revive Aeris?” He wanted to use “Goddess Tears” on Jeanne, which I allowed only to target her again to his obvious frustration. What about reviving her on the turn she is downed with the hearts that Ark rolls, he asked. In the end, I had to give away that the “game was rigged” that way and that Jeanne was scripted to die, which annoyed him. “What’s the point if the outcome is fixed? If it’s just backstory, can’t we read about it or have another character tell us?” He said this encounter felt “clunky” and he felt powerless to play as he wanted. He suggested maybe splitting the party so that it’s more believable when Jeanne dies as no one is around to save her. At the end of the encounter he was surprised when Asche didn’t kill the villagers.

Encounter C – Hubby asked how this encounter would play in a group of 3, would each take turns to play Asche? If you have 2 players it’s fine, but if not, what would the other person do? He wanted to know if Ark and Asche both count as heroes and can crit. In our playthrough Asche went down very quickly, perhaps he can heal when he rolls any hearts.

Encounter D – No feedback here, all good.

Encounter E – Hubby got frustrated when he couldn’t figure out what to do and then kept rolling abysmally low will checks. He didn’t have any potions to give so perhaps there could be an alternative for that route. In the end he got frustrated so Lady V started stabbing villagers and pushing them down the well. Well, she is a dark hero I guess… He wanted to kill Fluffy and spirit Jeanne too…

After Ark’s lamentation he exclaimed that he’s got it all figured out. He predicts that the souls of Ark and Asche will rejoin back into Ser David and the party will have to kill him. Ultimately his feedback from this chapter was that he didn’t like not getting to play his own characters. Perhaps they could be there, witnessing and fighting a ghostly vision of the past instead of taking over the NPCs?

2 chapters to go!

Facebook
Twitter

July 16th, 2018, 5:10 am
Denizen

This was a tough chapter to write. It play-tested well for my wife, with a bit of frustration in the puzzle encounter with the villagers. For the encounter where the heroes control Asche you would add 2 dread knights to accompany him. Ideally I want to add Crown Guard to Ark’s forces when they release too.

You’ve given me a lot of feedback to act on.

July 19th, 2018, 2:11 pm
Minion

I really didn't want to come off as all negative all the time, after we we are grateful for the effort you've been putting in and the last thing I'd want to do is kill your enthusiasm. It's just that this this particular chapter was Hubby's least favourite. We're looking forward to the ending!

Facebook
Twitter

July 20th, 2018, 1:14 am
Denizen

No worries. This chapter is definitely not the strongest one in the campaign. Chapter 5 should play much better, with one iffy encounter. I haven’t playtested it yet. Chapter 6 is hopefully the best of them all. 4 May need a complete overhaul though =\

July 20th, 2018, 5:14 am
Minion

The Hubby (Pdoink) has recently finished writing the first Chapter of his Legends campaign so we played through it with a couple of our friends this weekend. Corruption is a game that knows it’s a game (think Wreck-It Ralph). The party consists of:

Freyjan Ember Mage played by Aella13 (Codifier Kisa model)
Claw Tribe Barbarian played by Halina (Claw Tribe Barbarian model)
Riftling Rogue played by Nathan (Wandering Minstrel model)

Before beginning the campaign, the players are asked to flesh out their characters by answering a series of questions:
• What is something important that you lost? (Must be an item)
• Who is an important person to you that you haven’t seen in a while? (Must be living)
• Who is your greatest foe and why? (Must be living)
One of each of these questions for each player will be used to personalise further campaign chapters.

Tora Frostfur comes from a primitive tribe of Freyjans in Frostbyte Reach. When she was a child she became separated from her family during a snowstorm and barely survived. She’s been afraid of the cold ever since. Her tribe gifted her a magical orb called the Ever-Burning Ember but she lost it down an icy ravine. She decided to become an Ember Mage so that she could make her own fire but she wasn’t very good at it. During her studies at the Ember Tower she was picked on by a particularly ruthless student named Felix Black. He was determined to make her quit the academy but she persevered and her stubbornness was appreciated by her mentor Professor McClellan.

Frederick von Ehlrick was a human nobleman before the evil Count Haslang drove his family into ruin and exile. Now he is a commoner and he takes what he can’t afford. He always looked up to his father Johann von Ehlrick, who once was the head of a powerful noble house but is now a lowly blacksmith. He wishes to find his family heirloom, an artefact sword.

Booty-Ka is a human barbarian who is searching for her mentor Walks-With-Ghosts. The shaman went on a spirit quest and never returned. She is also hoping to find a special ceremonial necklace of her people. Her greatest enemy is Adam Eternia, the fierce Warlord of Castle Greyskull.

Spoilers for Corruption, Chapter 1 will follow:

The party spawns in the centre of the village of Hubtown. While the Barbarian searches the fountain for coins, the others explore the village. We discover a wanted poster from the blacksmith looking for his dog “Mr. Puddles” and a lumberjack in the inn tells us of a strange sight in the woods before asking us to retrieve his axe.

We travel deep into the Feywoods where the party encounters a Wisp singing on a water fountain. Unfortunately, it was a trap and the party is quickly attacked by Kodama. Tora went crazy, flinging her fireballs around until the Kodama retreated back into the woods.

We continued on through the forest until we encountered an odd, pixelated shape on a tree trunk like the lumberjack described. Although the party had no idea what they were looking at, our players immediately recognised it for what it was: our game file is corrupted. We heard a dog barking to the North and hurriedly tried to cross the wall. Frederick was able to pick a lock in a passageway under the wall and we were immediately set upon by Chimera from the guard post. Once again Frederick and Booty-Ka took all the damage while Tora rained fire from above.

We headed towards the barking dog and saw a group of Billmen trying to feed the poor creature to a gigantic carnivorous plant. We save Mr. Puddles from the overgrown weed and head back to check out the guard post.

We fight through more Chimera as we make our way up the guard tower with Mr Puddles tagging along behind us. We clear through a storeroom and barracks before we reach the roof and face the Gnarly Chimera Officer- a giant overgrown bear-creature.

It almost kills Frederick before burning to death. We leave the tower and find a clearing filled with more glitchy pixels. We retrieve the woodsman’s axe before a giant glitchy dragon emerges from a nearby cave and roars as it flies away.

We return the dog to the blacksmith and the axe to the lumberjack. Then we head to the item shop to exchange our crystals for loot. We buy a tent to rest in to regain our health between encounters before heading east of town and giving a wooden plank to a repairman to fix the bridge. While the bridge was being repaired we headed back into town to enjoy the Brackenscale Festival. A travelling seer told our futures and we bobbed for apples and challenged the town strongman to an arm wrestle. Before the festival was over it was interrupted as the glitched dragon appeared, burning the town to cinders and killing the blacksmith as the NPCs fled. As the first chapter ended we are informed that the newly encountered dragon’s name is Glitch.

Facebook
Twitter

August 5th, 2018, 11:31 am
Denizen

This is super awesome! It feels very 8-bit and I love the simple but compelling plot hooks. I love it!

August 5th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Mini-Boss

haha! when my dog was a puppy one of his favorite toys was a little blue 'comfort' dog named Mr. Puddles. I'm looking forward to going through the adventure, too :3.

August 6th, 2018, 1:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next