View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2017, 10:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Thinking of buying Forgotten King but have some questions. 
Bottle Cap

I found what seems like a good deal on FK but I want to make sure it's something I will benefit from. I'm primarily someone who will play the game using the Arcade rules from the new SD Arcade from the Kickstarter. I and my group just don't have the ability to commit to campaigns. Only 1 off games here and there. Is this a good package for me?

This is what is being sold...

• Core box
• Claws of the Wyrm Warband + hero (new in shrink)
• Stilt Town Zombies Warband + hero (new in shrink)
• Emerald Valley Warband + hero (new in shrink)
• Dungeons of Crystalia tiles + creeps (new in shrink)
• Von Drakk Ghost House tiles + creeps (new in shrink)
• Ser Snapjaw hero/mini-boss (new in shrink)
• Captain R hero/mini-boss (new in shrink)
• Deeproot Wolfrider hero (new in shrink)

August 13th, 2017, 6:55 am
Denizen

If you want to fight against variety of monsters and have time to play here and there, sure you will benefit from it. However if time is an issue, one-off games may take several hours depending on group. I actually think single campaign sessions will be shorter.

You don't benefit on creeps that much. If you get Pet Parade (you do if you backed Legends high enough) creeps may show up if mixing Creep Plot Cards with normal ones and you happen to draw a creep related Plot Card. In game only 1 Plot Card is drawn.

August 13th, 2017, 7:56 am
Bottle Cap

It's certainly a good variety of enemies to play with -that's probably the biggest issue when playing with just a core box, it feels woefully barebones until you purchase expansions. But, one you do, the game stops feeling so "Samey" and builds some better replay value.

I'm not sure what the potential price of said package would be, but if the price is lower than typical, I would say it's a good buy.

You did mention that a campaign is difficult for tour group, timewise... That's the only part that concerns me. Super Dungeon Explore isn't a fast game, at all. It's one of the longer games I've brought to the table in recent months. Even playing solo arcade mode as four heroes, eliminating time for crosschat etc., I think the quickest I've actually gone from start to finish was around two hours, and that doesn't include setup or tear down. If that were four real people... Well, who knows how long that would have gone.

I don't mind ling games, per se, some of my favorite sessions have reached into the six hour realm. I think the problem is that even with more enemy variety, every round still feels the same. There's no objective variety, nothing that makes one round feel different from the last. If you try house ruling some different objectives, it would probably hold up much better.

All in all, I recommend the game, but I would say that it's perfect. Make sure you really like it before investing TOO heavily into it. But I would say that of any other game, so take that for what it is.

August 13th, 2017, 9:09 am
Mini-Boss

If you like your games thematic, your mix is difficult. It's something from every corner of crystalia. Not enough spawner for a 3 hero game from one region, though. Except plants and chimera

August 13th, 2017, 3:52 pm
Bottle Cap

thanks for the input, guys!

August 18th, 2017, 3:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]