View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 15th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 (Classic) Boris, sweep, and pile-on 
Bottle Cap

So Boris is hauling back with his mace, and a Frog Knight runs up and knocks a hero down (and then gets out of the way before that mace starts swinging). Boris uses Sweeping Mace. Does he get the bonus die for Pile-On? If so, does he only get it versus the knocked-down hero, or everyone?

As far as I can tell, the crux of it is: does a sweep attack have a target, which could be the knocked down hero? I'm not seeing anything about sweep attacks having targets in the rules, which would mean no bonus die, but I figured I'd double check by asking here.

March 22nd, 2016, 5:42 am
Ninja Corps

I defer to more experience opinions. With only the rule book as guidance, other than Burst, you already noted that none of the other Area Effects state that you need to target anything. If being in an Area Effect means that you were targetted...well, that should be called out somewhere pretty explicitly.

Pile-on: A model with Pile-on gains +1B STR if its target is suffering Knockdown.

Area Effect (p. 34 Arcade)
"If the area effect action requires an offense roll, the model using the action makes a single roll."

I would resolve the roll against all models without Pile-on.

In a stretch using Rule Priority (p39 Arcade)
"If a game card, game effect or ability has a rule that is contrary to the rules in this rulebook, the card or ability always takes precedence."

In this case, I would have Boris roll an additional +1B just for the "target" suffering Knockdown in the Sweep.

March 22nd, 2016, 10:58 pm
Ninja Corps

I could see it working to get the Pile on, it required all sweep targets were knocked down. But if multiple targets and not all are knocked down, then the target (being all models in the area) are not knocked down and thus no pile on bonus.

March 30th, 2016, 4:10 am
Denizen

I asked a similar question a little while ago on the KS comments page.
SPM's answer was that AOE's do not specifically "target" the models in the area, with the exception of Burst which targets the centre square.
So, no you wouldn't get the bonus for pile on, even if all the models in the Sweep area were knocked down.

March 30th, 2016, 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]