View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2018, 2:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Question on Spongy & Burst AOE's? 
Denizen

The description of Spongy:
Quote:
Spongy: When a model with Spongy is targeted by an action, Push the model that targeted them 1 square, after the action has resolved

So, if I were to target a non spongy model with a burst AOE, but a spongy model is caught up in the AOE (but not the main target), would the attacker be affected by Spongy?

Basically:
Do models in a burst AOE count as being "targeted"? Or is it only the centre model that is "targeted"?

I've been playing it that only the centre model counts as being "targeted" but I'm interested in how others play it.

January 1st, 2016, 8:31 am
Ninja Corps

This is kind of tricky, since only 1 AOE actually designates a target (burt AOE). All others just happen, with no target, and affect whatever is in the area. This is in no way official and just how I would (will) play it off the top of my head, but I would say that anything that ends up in the AOE would count as a target just based on the nature of most AOEs not actually having a specified target. But having any AOE become immune to an effect like that seems silly as well.

January 1st, 2016, 7:26 pm
Dungeon Boss

The question of "what targets?" is often one asked in card games I play. Within one of the games, there is a skill known as Resist which stops enemies from targeting the unit with effects. Magic has a similar keyword called Hexproof.

Based upon these, I would come to the conclusion that only Burst AOEs target, and only the model in the center. As such, a model using and AOE would only be pushed by Spongy if s/he was using a Burst ability, and centered it on the model with Spongey.

That said, I am in agreeance with Usagi that playing it this way could be unbalancing for the game... On my tables, I play it that any model in the AOE, regardless of type, counts as targeted, however Spongy only activates once. A fair trade, I'd say.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

January 1st, 2016, 8:27 pm
Consul

I would definitely play that everything caught in an AoE is a target.
Seems broken that all trigger abilities are negated just because the attacker happens to use an AoE.

January 2nd, 2016, 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Thanks for all the responses
Goblin-King wrote:
Seems broken that all trigger abilities are negated just because the attacker happens to use an AoE.

Yes, I completely agree about the other AOE's as they "target" a set number of squares.
As Usagi mentioned Burst is the only AOE that specifically targets one square, the attack then explodes out from that centre point.
I might put the Q up on the KS comments when Deke appears on Thursday.
Not that it matters massively, just out of interest more than anything.

January 2nd, 2016, 6:13 am
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:

Definitely, and also illogical.

The mechanism is triggered by the target/victim, not the attacker. If I throw a hand grenade at an enemy and he bounces it back with a tennis racket, it doesn't matter if I throw the grenade deliberately at him or if I throw hand grenades randomly in all directions. I still get the grenade bounced back at me.

January 2nd, 2016, 7:09 am
Denizen

Teowulff wrote:
If I throw a hand grenade at an enemy and he bounces it back with a tennis racket, it doesn't matter if I throw the grenade deliberately at him or if I throw hand grenades randomly in all directions. I still get the grenade bounced back at me.

Not to be awkward, but if you threw a hand grenade and aimed it for 7-8 feet away from said person with the tennis racket he would not be able to hit it back but he would still be caught in the blast. This is closer to what's happening with a Burst AOE, you're not targeting them directly, they're just being caught in the blast.

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to mix real life examples when looking at rules discussions.
So focusing on RAW, the confusion comes from the wording of Burst in the rulebook as it specifically mentions the centre model being "targeted". Couple this with the wording of Spongy as quoted above and it obviously causes ambiguity.
I don't see my take on it as an illogical interpretation of the rules as they stand.
I just think they could do with further clarification on this.

Oh well, add it to the list for version 2 tweaks to be made.

January 2nd, 2016, 8:30 am
Denizen

So, I asked this Q to Deke on the KS comments, here's the Q's and responses;

JM - DungeonCrawler wrote:
On a Burst AOE is it only the centre (target) square that counts as being "targeted"?
Reason I ask is in regard to how the Fungal Growth "Spongy" rule would work, which mentions "targeted" in its description.

Deke wrote:
@JM, Correct. So an AOE could affect, say a stealth model that gets caught in the area, but which otherwise wouldn't have been able to be targeted.

JM - DungeonCrawler wrote:
Thanks, so if a non spongy model was the centre target, but there were spongy models in the burst area, the hero would not be pushed away, ie "spongy" would not be triggered cos the model with spongy was not the main target? Sorry just want to be clear.

Deke wrote:
@JM, Correct.

January 8th, 2016, 6:49 am
Consul

DungeonCrawler wrote:
So, I asked this Q to Deke on the KS comments, here's the Q's and responses

That's disappointing! AoE is already super strong. Now it's even better!?
Soporific still triggers though.

But at least we got this cleared up... Good work DC 8-)
And for further references: AoE does NOT target anything.

Though it's funny he answers by using stealth as an example. Stealth is a whole other mess and more complicated than "does it trigger or not".
Spongy would function just fine if caught in an AoE

January 8th, 2016, 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:
DungeonCrawler wrote:
So, I asked this Q to Deke on the KS comments, here's the Q's and responses

That's disappointing! AoE is already super strong. Now it's even better!?
Soporific still triggers though.

Agreed, it feels counter-intuitive.

You bet I'm not going to tell my fellow gamers about this ....... : p

January 8th, 2016, 10:39 am
Consul

Teowulff wrote:
You bet I'm not going to tell my fellow gamers about this ....... : p

Nyeeeh he he he he! :twisted:

January 8th, 2016, 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]