View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 18th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Duplicate Spawn points and Paired Spawn points 
Bottle Cap

Hello heroes!

I'm completely brand new to Super Dungeon Explore and I'm preparing to be Consul in my first game next week. I think I have a solid grasp on all of the rules (hurrah!) except spawning (booo!)

I'll try my best to explain my conundrum and hopefully someone can come along and call me a numpty for getting it wrong :D

The rule book states:

"When using duplicate spawning points, it is not necessary to track which monsters belong to a specific spawning point."

I interpret this as being the monsters in the pool can come out of any point on the map that matches their spawn. But that's where things get confusing for me... I'll try to detail the scenario in my head.

It's the start of a game
I have 2 of the same spawn points.

I use a turn spawning to bring out 1 spawn pools worth 16bit monsters from the spawn point closest to the heroes.
I do whatever with them for a turn as you cant spawn on multiple turns
I use a turn to spawn the other spawn pools worth of 16bit monsters from the spawn point closest to the heroes.

I'm pretty sure this is what the rules allow for with "not necessary to track which monsters belong to a specific spawning point." It just gives you a bigger pool of monsters with multiple exits on to the map.

Now is where things get a touch confusing for me.

For this example, let us assume that our duplicate spawning points are "Bramble Knight" and there are now 2 "Grobbit Executioner" in play.

If a "Bramble Knight" spawn is destroyed, then from that point on the pool can only contain a single "Grobbit Executioner". So when the first of 2 "Grobbit executioner"'s dies, is he returned to the pool as there is space for one, or is he removed from play as there is another "Grobbit Executioner" still alive.

This question also extends to enemies of which multiples are allowed, the "Billmen" for example of which you can have 4 per "Bramble Knight" spawn point. Potentially could have 8 in play when the first "Bramble Knight" dies. As they die do you remove them from play until there are 4 left then begin putting them in the pool, or do they go straight into the pool until is full before you remove them?

If it is the latter you could conceivably keep up a very strong offensive for a while by performing a respawn every time the pool hits 4 to keep 8 of them in play.

I hope I haven't completely gone off track or embarrassed myself with this question, I tried to find the answer before I came and registered to ask.

Thank you for your time and patience!

December 13th, 2015, 5:51 pm
Mini-Boss

Hello junp3i and welcome aboard! :D

This is a topic which puzzled all of us when the Forgotten King rules were first previewed during the Kickstarter. The important thing to note is that this:
junp3i wrote:
If a "Bramble Knight" spawn is destroyed, then from that point on the pool can only contain a single "Grobbit Executioner"...

is not correct. Once the Consul's pool of monsters has been established at the start of the game it doesn't change - when a spawnpoint is destroyed all monsters from it that are not in play remain in the pool. This is how the Consul is able to spawn these monsters again when the boss times out.

Hence in your examples the Consul could have both Grobbits and all the Billmen in the pool when the first Bramble Knight spawn point is destroyed and still be able to respawn all of those monsters out of the other spawnpoint.

December 13th, 2015, 6:05 pm
Bottle Cap

Such a short sweet an perfect response! All of my confusion has melted away :D

Thank you so much for clarifying this, I'm glad that i'm not the first person who was confused by this! I'm even more excited for my first Hero stomping escapade in the coming week :twisted:

December 13th, 2015, 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]