View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 18th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Clarification about activations of monsters 
Bottle Cap

Greetings !

Last weekend we played for the first time the Forgotten king ruleset. Our gaming group played the original game dozens of times.

It seems that I (hopefully) got the activations rules for the Monsters wrong

After reading the paragraph (and the errata) several times, it seems that there is nothing preventing the Consul to activate the same mini-boss in consecutive turns
For example: Activation order Hero 1 > 4xskulls of monsters + Treant Miniboss > Hero 2 > 4xskulls of monsters + Treant Miniboss > Hero 3 > 4xskulls of monsters + Treant Miniboss etc....

Is it a valid way to play ?

Because I ended up having an unkillable Treant early game. He stayed in front of a tile door, with 2 turnipheads hidden behind him. Each turn the turnips heads heal him for 1 each, then the treant activate and resolve tough, healing an additional point for a total of 3. A hero could most likely deal 3 wounds per turn, making the treant unkillable if he could activate each turn.

It would seems that the miniboss should activate only once every heroes has played, or maybe i missed something ?

Thanks in advance for any clarification !

Cheers,
Simon.B

November 23rd, 2015, 6:45 pm
Denizen

You're playing monster activations correctly.
Tactically I'd say take out the turnip heads first. Trent would not block line of sight to them as long as you have a hero with a ranged attack or AOE like lance or a burst.
Also could try an attack with fire as it effectively cancels out tough, alternatively ice on the turnip heads would stop them healing.

November 23rd, 2015, 7:42 pm
Bottle Cap

Thanks you very much for your response.

So it is a bit unbalanced compared to the previous edition...

It is relatively easy to move the turnip, then heal, then move back in a corner out of line of sight of anything.... It is not like Super Dungeon Explore is about competition, so I guess i will have to avoid picking turnips + treant, or Turnips altogether, healing 2 hp on a boss each turn is still way too strong....... Or homebrew a rule that the miniboss can be played again only once it went through the whole hero cycle.

November 23rd, 2015, 8:08 pm
Ninja Corps

The emphasis in the new version is on "super" monsters. They only come out on spawner destruction, instead of being able to be spawned. But, they are much more formidable now. If the heroes don't gear up enough before the first one, it can be very hard.

It is tricky to get to monsters that hide around corners too. saying "just kill the turnips" is a lot more easily said than done. But, if this trick worked against the heroes once, they should prepare for something like that the second time. Either finding attacks with hookshot. Or having methods of getting around a roadblock like Trent. Something along the lines of fly, or teleport potions or something that can move Trent. It's not impossible. But if the means aren't at the hero disposal, it can become very hard.

November 23rd, 2015, 10:59 pm
Mini-Boss

this is one of the times when push or pull suddenly becomes very attractive ;)

November 24th, 2015, 4:33 am
Bottle Cap

The solution would be to either pounce to get behind the treant or any means to kill the turnips.

Avoiding the treant altogether is not a good idea since it will be even harder when 2 mini-bosses are on the board.

Another thing that happen is when a boobooty has spawned, i just made it run away, denying them a treasure chest. Means tactics !

November 24th, 2015, 6:39 am
Ninja Corps

WItcho wrote:
Another thing that happen is when a boobooty has spawned, i just made it run away, denying them a treasure chest. Means tactics !

That's actually quite hilarious - gotta try that if the heroes are dumb enough that a Boo Booty actually can outrun them...

November 24th, 2015, 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

WItcho wrote:

This is always my aim! :lol:
The chests are way too weak to really consider having around versus treasure denial.

November 24th, 2015, 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]