View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Increasing Difficulty Idea For Arcade 
Minion

I am new to this game but have seen a lot of complaints that the boss fights are anticlimatic and the game starts hard and gets easier. I have come up with this idea of a game set up variant to make sure that difficulty increases as you get deeper into the dungeon.

To do this I would arrange the boards as follows:

x x 4
1 2 3
x x 4

Board 1 is a blank board with a treasure chest
Boards 2 & 3 represents standard boards with a spawn point
Board 4 represents a monster only board - Set up the board as normal, but remove the spawn point.

(If desired further standard spawn point boards can be inserted between board 2 and 3 (i.e. more board 2s!))

As you play through the game
On entering 1. you will be set upon by a group of monsters (from board 2) making it easier than a standard first board
On entering 2. you will be set upon by the monsters from board 3 at standard difficulty (and will trigger a mini boss when defeating the spawn point as normal).
On entering 3. you will be set upon by the monsters from both boards 4 and will trigger the boss as normal when defeating the spawn point 3 making for a tough fight.

Please let me have your thoughts and experiences if you try this idea.

Variants
A couple of variants on this basic idea have occured to me already:
1. on one of the board 4s (monster only boards) consider replacing the spawn point with a mini boss (or both!?).
2. Block off the exits to board 4s until the spawn point at 3 is destroyed, allowing the dungeon boss and both boards 4s to spawn at same time
3. Respawn board 4 when the dungeon boss is triggered.
4. Insert another monster only board between 1&2?

November 16th, 2015, 9:35 am
Minion

One thing I've thought about doing is taking the Boss Timeout option from Standard mode, and introducing that into Arcade.
I'm hoping to play test it today and see if it changes anything.

November 16th, 2015, 2:05 pm
Minion

I've also thought about increasing the monsters strength and armor not based on how many Mini-Bosses you've killed, but based on how many tiles you entered.

November 16th, 2015, 3:25 pm
Mini-Boss

this is quite nice. I always use the timeout rules and modify a bit more. But for a totally new variant, this has appeal.
I like that as much that I included it in my house rules thread. That said...

...for more ideas to tweak difficulty, check here... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4393&p=53871

November 16th, 2015, 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]