View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Arcade Mode - Monster movement and King Sprout Pull 5 
Denizen

I just finished my first playthrough of FK Arcade mode. Used the same heroes and monsters as the rulebook example to make it easier on me. I forgot to flip the explore cards when entering a new tile and the one treasure per hero cap (oop! only had 1 extra and one was a weak treasure so didn't feel too bad), but I think I remembered everything else (there's still a lot to keep track of!) and managing wrath was easier than I thought it'd be.

I ran into some issues I have not been able to find an answer to on the forums and was hoping to get some help/input.

The first issue I had was with monster movement. I understand that you move mini bosses & elites to get in *range* of the hero with the highest wrath *that they can reach*. Minions will then move to get within 2 spaces of their elite to bond/form a gang.

A lot of the mini bosses and gangs have > 1 range so does this mean that as *soon* as the hero is in range of their attack (or unique action) the monster stops? Or will they always move to get into adjacent bases. I can see the argument for the former to make it harder for the heroes to get to the monster to kill it. Or the latter to make it harder for the hero to run away. Regardless, I tried to position the monsters so the most possible mini bosses and gangs could get in range of the hero with the most wrath they could reach. Is there a ruling on this or just use your best judgment?

Since most minions have the same move as their elite, it's relatively easy for them to stay in range unless some compel/push/pull abilities are used. Once the gang is in range or the highest wrath hero, is there any guidelines for how to arrange the minions? I tried to arrange them as one would for classic (i.e. if they were range 1, they'd get adjacent to the hero. range 2, they stop at range 2 unless that prevents more minions from 'attacking' the hero). For example, the Grobbit gang has range 4 when bonded. If a consul was playing, then ideal case would be to put the Grobbit out front and keep the duckmen in the back. But in a classic game, you'd normally move the duckmen in and attack over them /w the Grobbit's extended reach.

Then there is the question of whether to arrange the minions in such a way to give the heroes advantage for aoe attacks or specifically to avoid them. I imagine this (could) be one of the nice things about Arcade where you can decide/tune the movement based on the skill level of your group? Make easy targets for newer players or spread patterns for veterans?

Nutshell:
Do monsters stop movement -
1) As soon as they are in range of their attack? (this is how I played it based on the letter of the rulebook) - assumes you know which elites will 'stay' in a gang after movement.
2) They will move to maximize # of attacks on the highest wrath hero they can reach? (makes sense to me)
3) Will always attempt to get into base contact (makes it harder for heroes to run!, but big models may make it harder for other monsters to get in range)

Minion movement is always to get into a gang, but do minions -
1) Always try to get in base contact /w the hero?
2) Avoid clumping to reduce devastation of hero aoe attacks?
3) Really up to whoever's handling the Arcade actions?

Last question for this post: King Sprout has Pull 5 listed on the Arcade card.

There is no action indicating *when* to Pull 5. I would assume there'd be an action on the card /w a blue or red button to use for Unique or Fight actions. I played it as Pull 5 on Unique, but Unique occurs before Fight, so this had the interesting situation that King Sprout pulled my hero away from other monsters (that were in base contact) and thus out of their range. It's the sort of thing I'd expect to see in a game, so it was funny, but I'm not sure I was playing this right and I didn't see any errata.

July 18th, 2015, 4:57 am
Mini-Boss

@movement: I tend to move the creeps, bosses,minibossesoneafter the other, stopping once in range. If the second monster could get into range by moving closer to the hero than the first monster or if the second monster can't reach the hero 'cause of blocking, than it is how it is.

@gangs: the Billmen/Grobbit example - since the Billmen never attack, they tend to end up behind the elite, spread out like a fan. The gang range is always 2 squares, the only thingthat changes is the attack range, which doesn't influence the minions.
I move them as the spawning goes: Not adjacent, if possible, but inside the 2 squares gang radius. If there are already two or three minions inside the radius, I give the "not adjacent" rule precedent over the " 2 squares" rule, so they don't crowd.
You could definitley adjust this to the level of your group. Good idea.

@Nutshell:
Do monsters stop movement -
1) As soon as they are in range of their attack? (this is how I played it based on the letter of the rulebook) - assumes you know which elites will 'stay' in a gang after movement.

Yes. (Still, it's the solo range that is used)

2) They will move to maximize # of attacks on the highest wrath hero they can reach? (makes sense to me)

Most of the time, result would be the same as 1), except for unique attacks with shorter range. Play to your liking.

3) Will always attempt to get into base contact (makes it harder for heroes to run!, but big models may make it harder for other monsters to get in range)

No. Rulebook says, the stop as soon as in solo range. Would be a house rule. You can try it out, see if it changes gameplay a lot. If it does, post in house rules, please ;)

Minion movement is always to get into a gang, but do minions -
1) Always try to get in base contact /w the hero?

No

2) Avoid clumping to reduce devastation of hero aoe attacks?

I play it that way, s.a.

3) Really up to whoever's handling the Arcade actions?

Not really, the move after the elites have moved,so the best spots should be taken. Also, they will try to stay inside the gang range.

@King Sprout: since it is a keyword directly under the image, it applies to ALL attacks (unique or not). Every mini that is successfully attacked gets a wound and maybe a status effect (red action) or just (status) effects (blue action) and then pulled 5 squares.
In your case, you started correctly: pull on unique... but also pull on normal attacks

July 18th, 2015, 5:12 am
Ninja Corps

One thing I saw you say that is wrong is "I understand that you move mini bosses & elites to get in *range* of the hero with the highest wrath *that they can reach*". The elietes, et al, will always move to try and get into range of the highest wrath (or whatever target their activation card tells them to move towards, in the case of griefer). Even if they can't reach them (stoping at their maximum solo range) they still move towards them. When it comes to attacking, they attack the hero with the highest wrath (or lowest, as above) that they can reach, however. So, they might still attack even if they can't reach the intended target.

Xris is basically right with all his answers, though. The way minions move, technically, is that they try to move as close to their elite as they can. so they will move base to base, and clump up around them. But, if this is too easy, or seems silly to you, you can always play it however you want, as a group. One thing I like about this game is that it's very customizable with house rules and ways to play. That's pretty evident in the fact that there are 3 different ways to play using the same figures right now and (presumably) there will be 4 when legends comes out as well.

July 18th, 2015, 6:06 am
Denizen

Thank you for the very quick and detailed feedback! The movement makes sense to me and really does make Arcade quite a bit different than Classic in regard to gangs and mob mentality. I am greatly enjoying how gangs function and speed up play in comparison to Classic. I'm now excited to see if I can consistently get the minions to move as y'all have described and see how that turns out (I think I was putting them in too many dangerous situations for minions!

As for King Sprout...wow, yeah, that makes a lot of sense that it'd be for any attack. I guess that really does mean a hero could actually get yanked to relative safety if they were in a currently undesirable position.

July 19th, 2015, 4:45 am
Bottle Cap

Hey guys, I think this is the most suitable thread for posting my question:
When a spawn point is destroyed and the minion's leader (elite) is dead, what do the minions do? Do they move towards heroes? Or do they stand still until they are killed? :)

January 13th, 2016, 11:27 am
Denizen

subraumspalt wrote:
Hey guys, I think this is the most suitable thread for posting my question:
When a spawn point is destroyed and the minion's leader (elite) is dead, what do the minions do? Do they move towards heroes? Or do they stand still until they are killed? :)

Minions with no elite will move back toward their Spawn Point to await the re-spawning of an Elite they can form a gang with.
If the Spawn Point has already been destroyed Elite-less minions will do nothing.

January 13th, 2016, 11:59 am
Bottle Cap

Thank you very much for the answer.

January 13th, 2016, 12:05 pm
Denizen

Seems we have been playing arcade mode wrong - what is this about one treasure per hero?

January 14th, 2016, 3:02 pm
Denizen

growlley wrote:
Seems we have been playing arcade mode wrong - what is this about one treasure per hero?

I think he just means that a hero can only equip one treasure card at a time.

January 14th, 2016, 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]