View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20th, 2017, 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 House rules [new: loot fix, sudden death mode] 
Mini-Boss

I thought maybe this could be a good place to collect some house rules. Below you'll find the compiled list of all posters in the thread. I'll try to update the first post once in a while. Feedback to rules you tried or your own rules are appreciated.

Note: this is a place which aims to collect little fun or thematic changes. For a full overhaul or major changes refer to other threads.

• Classic / Arcade (taken from loot-i-meter): Sudden death mode
    In the beginning of the game, add one princess coin to the backpack for each hero. When a hero dies, the party must resurrect the hero. If at any point, a hero can't be resurrected for any reason, the heroes lose the game.

• Arcade (by Xris Wraith): Timeout - in Arcade you also get a timeout. The boss fight card applies as in Classic mode. Since a lot of people find the boss fight anti-climatic in Arcade, the timeout is spawning one full contingent of a single spawn with the boss acting as spawn point. After that he teleports away similar to Classic mode

To make it even harder, you could
    a) give the Boss the "expendable" rule for all monsters, they'd all die for him, you know
    b) Feed me rule
    c) consider the Boss invincible until this spawn is completely vanquished

To make it still harder, you could rule that the Boss spawns like that every three turns and can only be ever wounded once the spawned monsters are all dead.

• Classic / Arcade (by Xris Wraith): Hero activation - in 3 hero-games you activate the one hero that didn't activate last turn. After that you get to choose between the other two heroes. I use this rule in 4 or 5 hero-games, too. Yes, there is the possibility that some heroes are going to do less than others, but hey, it's a dungeon. This gives a lot of flexibility to the heroes, which I like.

• Classic / Arcade (by Xris Wraith): Explore twice - I really like a lot of the explore cards. In a normal game you will find a maximum of ten cards (5 heroes). Since I want to see more of it, I allow a second explore basic action on every tile.

• Classic / Arcade (by Xris Wraith): 110% of the game - The heroes have to use their explore action on each tile. If they don't, they each get a wound. Why? They really don't want to miss anything in this game. So they need to see everything. It hurts if they don't.

• Arcade (by Xris Wraith): Status effects on bosses/minibosses - if a hero fails to save against an attack and the roll is two or more stars below the needed value, the boss may take away one status effect

• Classic / Arcade (by Xris Wraith with individual mods by Da Skyman & Spazzfist): Popping hearts - hearts and potions can't be used the instant they're rolled. instead the counter is placed adjacent to the mini that was wounded. heroes have to pick them up using the basic pick up action.
    If you wnat to make it really hard, only the hero that picked up the counter may use it.

individual mod by Spazzfist: allow any revealed hearts and potions to be active for the rest of the turn they were revealed, and then one more turn after that (a turn being after all the heroes have been activated). After that, they are removed from the board. this saves on clutter, and does not leave the heroes with stores of potions and hearts to grab like some kind of grocery store.

individual mod by Da Skyman: potions/hearts dropped in adjacent squares (1 per square). I didn't use Scavenge to pick them up though, just moved over them. Maybe only be one potion allowed on the dungeon tile at a time?

• Arcade (by Xris Wraith): stopping with the command deck during the boss fight and insted just use the "combo" card every round.

• Arcade (by Wiganer34): Climatic Boss fight - a new setup for the tiles
    ... arrange the boards as follows:

x x 4
    1 2 3
    x x 4

Board 1 is a blank board with a treasure chest
    Boards 2 & 3 represents standard boards with a spawn point
    Board 4 represents a monster only board - Set up the board as normal, but remove the spawn point.

(If desired further standard spawn point boards can be inserted between board 2 and 3 (i.e. more board 2s!))

As you play through the game
    On entering 1. you will be set upon by a group of monsters (from board 2) making it easier than a standard first board
    On entering 2. you will be set upon by the monsters from board 3 at standard difficulty (and will trigger a mini boss when defeating the spawn point as normal).
    On entering 3. you will be set upon by the monsters from both boards 4 and will trigger the boss as normal when defeating the spawn point 3 making for a tough fight.

Variants
    A couple of variants on this basic idea have occured to me already:
    1. on one of the board 4s (monster only boards) consider replacing the spawn point with a mini boss (or both!?).
    2. Block off the exits to board 4s until the spawn point at 3 is destroyed, allowing the dungeon boss and both boards 4s to spawn at same time
    3. Respawn board 4 when the dungeon boss is triggered.

• Arcade (by Usagi):
    modify the mighty monster chart to go: +1 attack -> +1 defense -> +1 attack and defense -> +1 attack and defense -> Add status (same as it is normally). The bonuses also apply to all enemy figures, of all kinds. Not just minions and elites. [...] Even creeps become pretty scary by the end of larger games.

• Classic / Arcade (by Anajadys):
    When I play, we do critical defense/offense rolls:
    If the offense roll exceeds the defense by 5 stars (7 to 2 for instance) or more it does massive damage.
    If the defense roll exceeds offense by 5 stars or more it does backlash.

• Arcade (by eternaldream):
    Rabble: All minions have the Rabble rule. At the end of each monster turn that a Fight command was drawn, each Hero will receive a Rabble attack. Each hero will need to defend against one attack with a STR equal to the number of minions within 2 squares, up to a maximum of 3 Stars. Rabble attacks are affected by the Mighty Monster Chart as normal.

I think it should effect multiple heroes to spread the hurt around. It's only one attack, but it does scale with the Mighty Monster chart.

• Classic / Arcade (by Da Skyman):
    -all heroes activate together. I played with a maximum 3 loot for the whole hero activation.
    -smashing the treasure chest wasn't an available action. You either had to pick the lock or open it with a key.
    -Spawn only drops a princess coin if you destroy it during the Hero activation. Just a little extra incentive to keep moving, and if you stay and farm then you risk losing out on a powerful princess coin.
    -boss fight/timeout effects in arcade mode

• Classic: Rock Top shells
    by Spazzfist
    What I houseruled on the spot was to make the [shell] rule like it was in 1.0: When a turtle is hit, it can use Shell to add one more point of armour. But if the attack is greater than two stars, then the turtle will die automatically as not even Shell can save it.

by JuiceElf:
    With the Rocktop Gang when they died and turned into shells I allowed the heroes to just move past them to save time. I'd consider treating it as difficult terrain.

by Xris Wraith with additions by Spazzfist:
    Turtles get hit, they shell. If you don't kill them in the next turn, they change back to turtles.

add-on: you could implement a rule where, if the hero moves onto the same space as the shell they can send it flying and make their own attack out of it, in the same manner as the Crusher and Roller.

• Classic / Arcade: dangerous chasms
    by kelagan with add-on by Xris Wraith:
    whenever a model is moved, pulled or pushed on a chasm square, it will lose a heart and reappear at the last square it was on.
    should either be "up to one heart each turn", "can't lose the last heart this way" or "and the action that triggered the movement ends immediately".
    Else some models would be insanely powerful on tiles with chasms.

by Brett Hudoba on bgg:
    "Any model without Fly that would enter a chasm space for any reason instead suffers Knockdown in the last legal space it occupied."

• Classic / Arcade moving through models (by Glenn McLune on ks):
    Usually we allow models to move through each other at the cost of an action, or else a free attack against the moving model. You could also charge them an extra movement point as if it were difficult terrain.

• Classic / Arcade how to motivate moving forward (by Usagi and Healing Aura):

A) loot is allocated each tile. Not changing the rules for gaining loot except for you can't get loot unless you're on a board that has loot left to give.

B) At the start of the game, only X cards are in the loot deck.
    When a spawning point is destroyed, X loot cards are added to the loot deck.
    While the loot deck is empty, monsters do not drop loot, hearts, and potions.

C) every heart of self inflicted damage the consul does to it's own spawners, to spawn, becomes an extra health on the boss at the end of the game.
    Alternatively, an extra point of health on whatever Boss pops out of that spawner when it is destroyed.

D) see chaplin's fix on bgg: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1466381 ... on-and-pac

• Classic competetive exploration (by jwreschnig on bgg and Xris Wraith):

the consul gets a hand of explore cards, 1 per tile. Whenever the heroes enter a tile, the consul player may play one of them. He draws to a full hand afterwards. If he doesn't want to play, the normal rules apply.

• Classic / Arcade more creeps (various contributors):

To add to the number of creeps, some people roll a blue dice each time the heroes enter a new tile (or, in another variant rule each turn the heroes end on a tile without mosters). Each star spawns a creep.

Whenever the party discards rather than equips a piece of loot spawn 1 creep adjacent to any hero.
  • Arcade adapted command deck (various contributors):
    by Mikael Peterson on bgg:
    I have found the standard deck to be too gentle, especially after the first tile. I'm pla[y]ing with a 15 card deck now and enjoy it quite a bit more:
    GRIEFER x2
    HARDCORE x2
    GAUNTLET x3
    COMBO x3
    HACK & SLASH x5

by Lunar Sol on bgg:
    to ease up on the first tile, the deck can be sorted.
    First, take 1 Lag, 1 Respawn, 2 Hack & Slash, 1Rush. Shuffle. These make up the top of the command deck.

by Xris Wraith:
    sort another stack of harder cards for the boss fight.
    Then put the "starter cards" and the "boss fight cards" to the side. After the first tile and after the last spawner is destroyed change stack.

• Classic / Arcade better loot/treasure progression (by chapman on bgg)
    loot: for each killed elite, put a loot card in the backpack. For each minion, put two blue dice in the backpack (max 6). At the end of the turn, roll all blue dice. Each heart gives a loot card.
    It's impossible to gain mire than 3 loot cards in a single turn
    treasure: whenever he heroes are allowed to draw more than on treasure card, put a single treasure card in the backpack. Add two red dice per additional treasure. At the end of the turn roll the dice and draw a treasure for each potion rolled.

Last edited by Xris Wraith on December 24th, 2015, 7:39 am, edited 37 times in total.

May 27th, 2015, 4:55 am
Ninja Corps

The main house rule I've been using, in arcade, is to modify the mighty monster chart to go: +1 attack -> +1 defense -> +1 attack and defense -> +1 attack and defense -> Add status (same as it is normally). The bonuses also apply to all enemy figures, of all kinds. Not just minions and elites. This seems to help the difficulty curve match player progression and (particularly in big games) makes the boss not a pushover by any means. Even creeps become pretty scary by the end of larger games.

May 27th, 2015, 5:10 am
Minion

When I play, we do critical defense/offense rolls:

If the offense roll exceeds the defense by 5 stars (7 to 2 for instance) or more it does massive damage.
If the defense roll exceeds offense by 5 stars or more it does backlash.

May 28th, 2015, 4:08 am
Mini-Boss

I played another Arcade game yesterday. This time, I had a few powerhouse heroes along. Barbarian, Ranger and Ember mage accompanied the Druid into the Super Dungeon.
Spawners: Old growth (Sprout), Salt Pillar, Old growth (Wisps/Turnipheads), Tribal Stone
Minibosses Boris, Salt, Trent
Boss Forgotten King.

The progress was at no point really dangerous for the heroes (although I used up all princess coins). I skipped a few command cards which were too easy on the heroes and applied the following -well known- house rules:
use boss fight in Arcade
use timeout in Arcade
during timeout, a whole spawn is brought into play with the boss acting as spawn point.
boss then teleports away
boss is invincible until the timeout spawn is wiped off the board, but boss can attack

Which led to one dead, one close to dead and two barely winning heroes. Good house rules, these.

I was thinking of stopping with the command deck during the boss fight and insted just use the "combo" card every round.

June 4th, 2015, 5:33 pm
Mini-Boss

eternaldream wrote:
Rabble: All minions have the Rabble rule. At the end of each monster turn that a Fight command was drawn, each Hero will receive a Rabble attack. Each hero will need to defend against one attack with a STR equal to the number of minions within 2 squares, up to a maximum of 3 Stars. Rabble attacks are affected by the Mighty Monster Chart as normal.

I think it should effect multiple heroes to spread the hurt around. It's only one attack, but it does scale with the Mighty Monster chart. I could actually imagine this being a command on a new Arcade Card. Perhaps in the future...

June 9th, 2015, 8:20 am
Mini-Boss

and another one... should make the game immensely harder:

hearts amd potions can't be used the instant they're rolled. instead the counter is placed adjacent to the mini that was wounded. heroes have to pick them up using the basic pick up action.
If you wnat to make it really hard, only the hero that picked up the counter may use it.

June 18th, 2015, 8:19 am
Minion

Quote:
hearts amd potions can't be used the instant they're rolled. instead the counter is placed adjacent to the mini that was wounded. heroes have to pick them up using the basic pick up action.

this is brilliant and infinitely more in theme with the video gamey-ness they seem to be after.

June 19th, 2015, 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

CrashGem wrote:
Quote:

this is brilliant and infinitely more in theme with the video gamey-ness they seem to be after.

LOVE IT! I definitely want to try this in the next game I play!

June 19th, 2015, 1:46 pm
Minion

Spazzfist wrote:
CrashGem wrote:
Quote:

LOVE IT! I definitely want to try this in the next game I play!

That is an awesome idea and would make the plastic tokens a nice addition to the board.

June 19th, 2015, 2:18 pm
Mini-Boss

Talmorgoth wrote:

That is an awesome idea and would make the plastic tokens a nice addition to the board.

Glad you like it. it is actually the main reason I painted my 3d tokens. I thought them useless until this idea came into my head.

June 22nd, 2015, 12:28 pm
Bottle Cap

I tried playing a 3-hero game of arcade but removed the first spawning point. As it turned out, the first two spawns were the Old Growth pair (turnip/wisp were first). I think that the idea has merit, but I think that something in my choice of spawns or model placement really didn't help.

The sprout is annoying since it is nearly a miniboss on its own. If you kill it you run the risk of it spawning again (as it did in this game) but if you don't kill it and go for the paired spawn then you have to deal with sprout AND a miniboss at the same time. So our solution was that we had to kill both in the SAME hero activation which took some time to orchestrate.
We also were wary of venturing into the second tile since that would attract the brambleknight models. And we didn't think we could handle essentially 3 spawnings worth of monsters (including the king sprout)

We didn't have a lot of time, so we called it quits after killing the king sprout and the old growth spawn point.

Granted, this is only the first stages of the game, so I can't say how the overall feel of the game would have been, but it certainly felt like it was a grind to setup our attack just right so that we didn't get overwhelmed by too many monsters. We may have been fine if we rushed into the second square and went straight for the spawn, but Arcade seems to encourage the "gamey" approach where you take your time and stock up on decent Loot. If the spawning point is going to kill itself why not just wait for it to kill itself? What is the danger, aside from spending more time?
It didn't help that we were all perpetually slowed, so the Wandering Minstrel was next to useless. The troll priest was a rockstar though, even with us forgetting he was Tough for most of the game!

What I would be most interested in, is a house rule that somehow encourages the heroes to move quickly (as in the 1st edition) without hurting their ability to deal with the boss when they get there. As it stands, they can assure victory by forcing the dungeon to spawn the max amount of minions and killing them as they come, waiting to proceed to the 2nd tile until both the 1st and 2nd tiles are empty.

June 22nd, 2015, 5:35 pm
Mini-Boss

Da Skyman wrote:
What I would be most interested in, is a house rule that somehow encourages the heroes to move quickly (as in the 1st edition) without hurting their ability to deal with the boss when they get there. As it stands, they can assure victory by forcing the dungeon to spawn the max amount of minions and killing them as they come, waiting to proceed to the 2nd tile until both the 1st and 2nd tiles are empty.

You are not alone in this wish! I have been working out a tweak to the rules, trying to preserve as much of the 2.0 rules as possible, while getting back to that good old sense of 1.0 urgency!

The thread is called "Super Dungeon Explore 1.5" and can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4433

I would really appreciate to hear your feedback on the rules, particularly if you choose to try them out.

June 22nd, 2015, 7:30 pm
Mini-Boss

actually, the best thing to do is kill the spawn point after it's second spawning. If the spawner self-destructs, you get another full spawn plus mini-boss. This in itself is in my mind enough to get going forward. Obviously other people have different gaming habits so it doesn't work for them. But as Spazzfist already posted, there are a few approaches to change that.

This thread is mostly for small, fun rules to change the existing game instead of a full overhaul.

June 23rd, 2015, 11:40 am
Bottle Cap

I tried a couple small tweaks last night on my own. 3 heroes. I didn't get far but I'll probably finish tonight.

I did a few things different this time around:
    1-potions/hearts dropped in adjacent squares (1 per square). I didn't use Scavenge to pick them up though, just moved over them. So I had to have certain models move first to pick up hearts that needed them before the ones that didn't passed over the area. Very fun mechanic. I like that moving over a heart auto-uses it, but it made the potions SO easy to have. There was pretty much no reason not to drink your potions every turn since there were always a few lying around to pick up. still needs work I think. hmmmm. Maybe only be one potion allowed on the dungeon tile at a time?
    2-all 3 heroes activate together. I played with a maximum 3 loot for the whole hero activation. is that how it is supposed to be played?
    3-concienciously forced myself to destroy the spawn, miniboss, and proceed to second tile as quickly as possible.
    4-smashing the treasure chest wasn't an available action. You either had to pick the lock or open it with a key.

The game is enjoyable so far.
I had the toughest time in the first Consul activation when two squirrels hopped on my Paladin and he got dropped to 1 heart immediately. Then later my sorceress attracted all the wrath due to unlucky dice rolling and got pummelled by Boris down to 1 heart. I was forced to use the Paladins potion to cheat death once so far.
The game is much more enjoyable when the heroes are MOVING. Having all the heroes activate at the same time did help move things along since they cleared out the first set of minions/creeps so fast they didn't have much else to hit but the spawn point. I did make some errors though, using a unique offensive action when I wasn't allowed to (explore card) and forgetting to apply the mighty monster chart the turn after I defeated Boris.

I am also thinking of implementing this as I continue my game:
    -Spawn only drops a princess coin if you destroy it during the Hero activation. Just a little extra incentive to keep moving, and if you stay and farm then you risk losing out on a powerful princess coin.
    -boss fight/timeout effects in arcade mode

EDIT: I also pretty much just ignored the sprout. I killed his small form to make him shift and then I just ran on to the next tile with him trying to play catchup with his 3 movement. Had I stayed to fight him I'm sure I would have got bottlenecked trying to get into the second tile as the next set of spawns arrived. That King Sprout really just bogs everything down...

EDIT2: I made some more progress and have noticed something. When you allow the heroes to all activate in the same turn, they become Very powerful in the mid-to-late game. The second mini-boss didn't even stand a chance. Granted, I was using the sorceress, who is pretty much the best hero for tackling the minibosses. I can see a 5-hero game turning the mini-bosses into total jokes without some sort of boost to the mini-bosses.

June 23rd, 2015, 5:31 pm
Mini-Boss

Xris Wraith wrote:
and another one... should make the game immensely harder:

I played with this rule in a game last night, and it added a lot of theme and fun to the game. In some cases the heroes opted to let the hearts go to waste as oppose to either going back and wasting time to get them, or going back to baddies that were standing by them (i.e. King Sprout).

One thing we did do was allow any revealed hearts and potions to be active for the rest of the turn they were revealed, and then one more turn after that (a turn being after all the heroes have been activated). After that, they are removed from the board. this saves on clutter, and does not leave the heroes with stores of potions and hearts to grab like some kind of grocery store.

June 24th, 2015, 5:23 pm
Mini-Boss

Another thing that was done in the game, that I thought I would mention, has to do with the Rocktop Gang. The new rules for shell are that, when a turtle is killed, it will automatically use the Shell ability, meaning that every turtle has to be killed twice. this struck me as unnecessarily making the game even longer.

What I houseruled on the spot was to make the rule like it was in 1.0: When a turtle is hit, it can use Shell to add one more point of armour. But if the attack is greater than two stars, then the turtle will die automatically as not even Shell can save it.

June 25th, 2015, 4:56 pm
Mini-Boss

Spazzfist wrote:
Another thing that was done in the game, that I thought I would mention, has to do with the Rocktop Gang. The new rules for shell are that, when a turtle is killed, it will automatically use the Shell ability, meaning that every turtle has to be killed twice. this struck me as unnecessarily making the game even longer.

What I houseruled on the spot was to make the rule like it was in 1.0: When a turtle is hit, it can use Shell to add one more point of armour. But if the attack is greater than two stars, then the turtle will die automatically as not even Shell can save it.

I think they put it in so the special abilities of the rollers and crusher is useful more often. it makes the turtles more special. For people with the "time problem" in SDE 2.0 it definitely is one of the worse changes. For everyone else, it is a nice reminescence of the old turtles in Super Mario, which just retreated into their shells. I was thinking of implementing just that rule. They get hit, they shell. If you don't kill them in the next turn, they change back to turtles. Since my shells are color-coded, that should work nicely.

June 26th, 2015, 9:33 am
Minion

With the Rocktop Gang when they died and turned into shells I allowed the heroes to just move past them to save time. I'd consider treating it as difficult terrain.

June 26th, 2015, 1:27 pm
Mini-Boss

Xris Wraith wrote:
I think they put it in so the special abilities of the rollers and crusher is useful more often. it makes the turtles more special. For people with the "time problem" in SDE 2.0 it definitely is one of the worse changes. For everyone else, it is a nice reminescence of the old turtles in Super Mario, which just retreated into their shells. I was thinking of implementing just that rule. They get hit, they shell. If you don't kill them in the next turn, they change back to turtles. Since my shells are color-coded, that should work nicely.

I can totally appreciate where you are coming from. If that is the case, then perhaps you could implement a rule where, if the hero moves onto the same space as the shell they can send it flying and make their own attack out of it, in the same manner as the Crusher and Roller.

June 26th, 2015, 3:12 pm
Mini-Boss

As a short feedback. I had a 3 heroes game yesterday.
Questing Knight, Brave Mode Candy and Troll Shaman.
Hollow Growth and Bramble Knights Spawns. Trent (x2) and FK as Bosses.

We included the boss fight card and timeout with full spawn of old growth, the "popping hearts" (move over to pick up, vanish after the next turn) and "continue at last position" house rules.

We had a blast. It was hard, fun and incredibly demanding. We used up even the 2 Extra Princess coins from the explore deck which we luckily drew (thanks to Never-Lost Cola, the little cheat). That was the tensest moment in the whole game: the FK down to half health, beamed away, King Sprout bashes the poisoned Knight into oblivion, it's heroes turn. Shaman resurrected last turn, but already debuffed by slow and poison with two wounds, Candy down to 1 heart.
What to do, we will probably all die next turn... come on, let's explore, maybe we'll find something, anything.... o.O a Princess coin. Play for time! One turn is all we need. Been there, done that.
Knight is back, lances through King (Sprout) and (Forgotten) King. On the road to victory. Which we grabbed. Barely.

It took us 5h, which is acceptable for us. It is one of those games, after all.

That we didnt have any DEX character and drew mostly DEX loot the first few turns, that the billmen didnt walk up to us to be slaughtered err, pacified und that the Knight rolled impressive ARM rolls and abysmal STR didnt make it easier. We actually used the bandage action a few times. The shaman fell twice, Candy and the knight once each.

All in all, a great game played by the rules, with a few added house rules and one or two skipped command cards "what, move twice? way too boring, draw another one."
Not too easy, in fact we would have lost. We won by sheer, dumb luck :D
Great way to spend a few hours.

Summary (btt):
-the popping hearts: make the game thematically better and also a lot harder. "cool, two hearts a potion. Ok, who can pick them up?" adds a lot of importance to movement, where do you stand how many poins of mov. do you have. Great addition.
- boss fight and timeout with spawn: help to keep up the pacing and make winning a lot harder. Just what is needed.
- continue at last position with princess coins: sorely needed fix for the original rules. Also enabled us to win as we lost 4 heroes during the game. Lots of running saved.

July 5th, 2015, 5:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next