View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 House rules [new: loot fix, sudden death mode] 
Mini-Boss

Xris Wraith wrote:
We included the boss fight card and timeout with full spawn of old growth,

What do you mean by this?

July 5th, 2015, 4:46 pm
Mini-Boss

there is one other way that I like to play that I forgot to mention.

During setup, I allow the heroes to choose all but one of the tiles that are going to be used. Then, as the consul, I am allowed to place them in whatever order or configuration I like, choose the final tile and choose the starting tile for the heroes. Now, if I am playing inexperienced players, I am not going to go for the cross formation, as this is the hardest the heroes. But why I do this is for theme. Depending on who the dungeon boss is, I do not want them to be appearing on certain tiles.

Example - Roxor is the final boss and the four heroes have chosen two of the new Forgotten King tiles and one of the crystal cavern tiles. With Roxor as my boss I would like to have at LEAST one tile which suits his flavour. I could then put the two FK boards together, then the crystal cavern, and then something suitably Roxor (with lots of lava) for the final board. The it looks like th heroes are making their way to the cavern, into the upper levels, and final make it to Roxor's lair.

To do it this way, really needs a consul that is not out to kill the heroes at all costs, but rather trying to enhance the experience by telling a story through the creation of the board.

July 5th, 2015, 4:54 pm
Mini-Boss

Spazzfist wrote:
Xris Wraith wrote:
We included the boss fight card and timeout with full spawn of old growth,

What do you mean by this?

Boss fight for Classic mode is used. It names rules for the boss fight. When he's down to half health, timeout occurs. At that time, he spawns a full contingent of the spawn he came out of and teleports 10 squares away (in addition to the rules from the boss card). In our game, that was the old growth spawner.

I like your idea of setup. It's flavory :)

July 5th, 2015, 6:41 pm
Mini-Boss

Another thing that I do for theme and flavour is to ensure that there is a correlation between bosses and spawn points. So, for any boss that I am going to take, I am going to have a spawn point that is in keeping with that boss. For example, if I am taking the Death Spectre, he is an Undead miniboss, so I need to have at least one "undead" spawn point. Likewise for the dungeon boss, I want to be at least tied for the majority in spawn points that are fitting with that boss.

I realize that there are exceptions to this rule - like Shadow Mode Candy and Succubus Vandella, to name a couple, but seeing as they do not have corresponding spawn points, they can feel free to be brought out in any game.

I have heard of some people playing the consul who try to min/max on the spawn points and (mini) bosses to bring about the most deadly combonation they can to destroy the heroes. If this is what you like, then then this method of boss/spawn selection is not for you. But if you like to a flavourful, theme-rich game, then you should give this a try.

July 6th, 2015, 2:41 pm
Mini-Boss

W.r.t, the potions and hearts not lasting forever, one of the members of my gaming group had a great solution for that, last time we played.

When the hearts or potions were rolled in a successful attack, then they were placed adjacent to the monster that was attacked as normal. If the heart/potion that was just produced was not picked up before the next spawning, then all the hearts and potions were replaced with the cardboard token versions. Any cardboard token hearts/potions on the board after a spawning were removed from the game.

This made the task of remembering which hearts/potio s were to be removed much easier. In the spirit of the game, we called the cardboard tokens "blinking", as such things would do in the video game version.

July 10th, 2015, 5:26 pm
Mini-Boss

I second the thematic dungeon. Doing the same.

The blinking potions are a nice idea, though I think it is contrary to speeding up the game.

I tried an exploration / campaign mode just yesterday. Rules canbe found here... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4501

July 17th, 2015, 8:06 am
Mini-Boss

new house rules... loot:

Usagi wrote:
What I like to do as a motivator is to divide loot up among the different board sections. Not changing the rules for gaining loot except for you can't get loot unless you're on a board that has loot left to give. Heroes can lollygag on the first and second boards all they want, but they will run out of stuff to get in pretty short order.

by Healing Aura:
At the start of the game, only X cards are in the loot deck.
When a spawning point is destroyed, X loot cards are added to the loot deck.
While the loot deck is empty, monsters do not drop loot, hearts, and potions.

edited into first post.

July 25th, 2015, 1:03 pm
Mini-Boss

Xris Wraith wrote:
The blinking potions are a nice idea, though I think it is contrary to speeding up the game.

Just played another game and did this again. When I was spawning my new round of monsters, the heroes were switching over t he potions for me, so not only did it not slow down the game, but it reduced "downtime" as it gave them something to do.

July 26th, 2015, 1:39 am
Mini-Boss

In my last games, I always used it. Makes for lots of tactical decisions. Very nice.

Remember the thoughts about the moving over or using an action to pick up the potions? I rechecked the rule book and found, that the "scavenge" basic action is a free action (0AP) with a range of 1. Meaning we are actually not changing any rule if we pick up hearts/potions by moving over _or adjacent to_ the tokens. I played it this way the last game and was pleased with the result. What I especially like about it is the fact that we don't need to change a lot of rules. We just add one small rule.

You could say that the "blue button stuck" explore card is now immensely harder, cause it would prevent the picking up.

How do you play health/damage?
Our approach with the tokens influences the way hearts are used in a funny way. Normally I used them as damage markers. Get one damage, get one heart. This works well with the original rules. With the popping hearts, this lead to a little "problem" of healing. I pick up a heart from the board to... put it away and take off one damage marker... not very straightforward and not intuitive.

Now I'm thinking that it could be nice to give each hero/monster his hearts as health markers. Get a damage, lose a heart. That way, picking up a heart gives you back the health. Also you could take the popping hearts directly from the monster instead of out of the token pool. Roll a heart on the damage roll, take it from the monster and put it on the board. Roll no heart, take it from the monster put it into the token pool. Quick and easy.

New idea/rule: Usagi strikes again...
you could say that every heart of self inflicted damage the consul does to it's own spawners, to spawn, becomes an extra health on the boss at the end of the game. Or, alternatively, an extra point of health on whatever pops out of that spawner when it is destroyed. So motivation comes down to either have a end boss with upwards of three times the health, circumstance dependent, or kill things faster.

July 26th, 2015, 5:11 am
Mini-Boss

Xris Wraith wrote:
you could say that every heart of self inflicted damage the consul does to it's own spawners, to spawn, becomes an extra health on the boss at the end of the game. Or, alternatively, an extra point of health on whatever pops out of that spawner when it is destroyed. So motivation comes down to either have a end boss with upwards of three times the health, circumstance dependent, or kill things faster.

This to me sounds like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" kind of choice. Either you let the spawn points run out and then face a really together Dungeon Boss or kille the spawn points sooner and face a bunch of mini bosses before you're totally ready.

July 26th, 2015, 7:14 pm
Ninja Corps

Spazzfist wrote:
Xris Wraith wrote:

This to me sounds like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" kind of choice. Either you let the spawn points run out and then face a really together Dungeon Boss or kille the spawn points sooner and face a bunch of mini bosses before you're totally ready.

Well, folks were talking about heroes not being motivated to be aggressive. This doesn't necessarily motivate it specifically. But it punishes a lack of it, surely.

July 27th, 2015, 4:28 am
Mini-Boss

And in the end... it's a house rule. Someone might like playing that way. Especially people thinking Arcade is too easy should try this on the second to last tiles. ;)

July 27th, 2015, 11:06 am
Denizen

I feel that there are not enough creeps used in a game.
Creeps can be used to great effect to make the game harder for the heroes but not enough spawn through the explore deck (sometimes none!).

To balance this I will try this:
At the beginning of each consul turn roll a blue dice, for each star rolled spawn a creep for free from the tile's spawn point.
Once the spawn point is destroyed no more creeps can spawn on that tile in this manner.
This would only affect the tile that heroes are on.

I feel this will increase the difficulty as the debuffs from creeps (whether -1 def or losing loot/treasure buffs) will add up!
It should also incentivise the heroes to take out the spawn points quickly for fear of being overrun.

Please feel free to try and give any feedback.

July 28th, 2015, 5:02 am
Ninja Corps

DungeonCrawler wrote:
I feel this will increase the difficulty as the debuffs from creeps (whether -1 def or losing loot/treasure buffs) will add up!
It should also incentivise the heroes to take out the spawn points quickly for fear of being overrun.

Just a side note on this. The -1 defense (from squirrels I assume) is not a stacking penalty, I believe. I think the wording for that penalty says that if you have any squirrels on your hero you are at -1 defense. Not -1 for each squirrel.

July 28th, 2015, 6:05 am
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
DungeonCrawler wrote:

Just a side note on this. The -1 defense (from squirrels I assume) is not a stacking penalty, I believe. I think the wording for that penalty says that if you have any squirrels on your hero you are at -1 defense. Not -1 for each squirrel.

You may be right on that, I've not looked at the card lately. Ill check it when I get in.
I think I'll play it that they stack to make the game harder.
Arcade mode is a bit too easy, more debuffs might balance it out a bit.

July 28th, 2015, 8:11 am
Denizen

Just thinking, other creep effects (I'm thinking slimes) would stack?
So 1 of each colour slime on your heroes means no loot buffs.
I can't recall exactly but I think you can have more than 1 invader on your card at once?

July 28th, 2015, 8:15 am
Mini-Boss

only different slime debuffs would stack. same as everywhere. can't have the same modifier twice. except with the new ghost creeps. even they don't add up the modifier, but allow to have several same status effect tokens. That way, when you remove one, you still suffer the effect.

added a few variants for better use of explore cards / creeps and an alternative, elegant way of handling chasms

November 1st, 2015, 5:44 am
Mini-Boss

There are several approaches to changw the behaviour of SDE gameplay, e.g. the loot-o-meter mode, SDE retro and some more here and on bgg. What I missed before was a variant for arcade. A lot of people have complained about it being too easy. Here's your fix:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/146638 ... on-and-pac

It's too long to copy here. And since it's quite an overhaul doesn't really belong here. But it's too promising not to share. Enjoy.

November 30th, 2015, 6:03 am
Mini-Boss

Added chap's loot/treasure fix and a nice rule for more creeps
added sudden death mode

December 24th, 2015, 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2