View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2017, 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Forgotten Rulings Incoming! 
Moderator Ninja

Heya all!

I just wanted to drop a quick note in here to let you know that all the old rulings will be swept away in the next month or so as people get in their Forgotten King sets. We do not want any confusion between old rules and new rules.

Regards,
Shane

March 18th, 2015, 2:39 pm
Consul

Like how? Is this entire forum being deleted or what do you mean?

March 18th, 2015, 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

All old rulings and posts in this forum will be moved someplace. This forum will continue to exist but only for the current book. If people feel like they need to see the old rulings I will talk to Deke about having a "SDE old book rules forum" made.

March 19th, 2015, 1:22 pm
Mini-Boss

What about one 2.0 rule forum and one 1.0?

<3

When all realities in which you can lose are eleminated, first then can you be proclaimed the winner.

March 21st, 2015, 5:25 am
Moderator Ninja

Is there any specific reason you feel like you need rulings from an old and unsupported version of the rules?

March 23rd, 2015, 10:48 am
Mini-Boss

I don't think so. Wipe it quickly before questions about new rules pop here.

“Our patience will achieve more than your force.” - Edmund Burke

March 23rd, 2015, 11:40 am
Minion

Nephastus wrote:
I don't think so. Wipe it quickly before questions about new rules pop here.

Agreed!

March 23rd, 2015, 12:02 pm
Consul

I could imagine people owning the old versions and never upgrading to FK.
Those players could be interested in reading the faq threads...

BUT!!! I'm not gonna talk on behalf of people I imagine (a generally good advice)... So if nobody chimes in, go ahead for all I care.

March 25th, 2015, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

You have people who won't buy the new version, people who will need time to raise the funds for the new version, people who want to see how many rules questions are plaguing the new version before they buy it so most issues can be fixed before they're stuck with them, and perhaps even people who may well like going back to play the old version.

Unless the new rules and updated cards are made available for free online, everybody who has the old version is stuck until and unless they buy the new version if they have any rules questions.

That's a crappy way to treat fans.

If they want to eliminate old rules questions, they should at least give some significant lead time before they do. Not all players will have had the money or desire to jump on the kickstarter, and may well still have issues raising money for another expensive copy of the game any time soon.

Would it really be such an inconvenience to leave a spot on the forums open for old rules issues?

I'm a bit of a hybrid on why I'm not picking up the new version as soon as it becomes available.
I've been stuck with enough kickstarter stupidity that it takes a serious need for me to be willing to support a game. I can wait for new shinies, and be willing to pay more, to avoid the kickstarter hassles.
I can play with my current version of SDE, but Soda Pop does not have a huge level of trust built up for me to be willing to assume the new version is as clean as the old version now is, much less being easily seen as improved. There are still problems with the original SDE, but trading known problems for unknown problems isn't worth it to me and other players I game with. We can wait until the major issues are identified and corrected while playing with the original happily.

I started buying Soda Pop merchandise before there were games attached to any of them, so I can certainly identify myself as a fan, but I am not a fan who is blind to the issues inherent in a new edition of a game.

Why should I feel forced to buy the new version as soon as possible, when I've certainly been a supportive fan up to now? Fans such as myself deserve some level of support for helping Soda Pop grow to where they are.

March 25th, 2015, 4:52 pm
Bottle Cap

I have to say that Gimp has some good points, I won't be able to afford the new game and the new rules or cards for a while so I will still be playing the old rules and having a safety net with the FAQs would be a great help for me.

March 26th, 2015, 6:39 am
Mini-Boss

Yes, there is one strong reason for this. And that is that there will most likely be people prefering the old rules over the new rules as they are so different in how they play. 2.0 could from a balancing and gameplay perspective be seen as an entirely different game than 1.0 due to a range of different reasons. And to have the game as "two games" like that is therefore a valid stance. If only some (not saying a majority, or even close to half, just some) people prefer the 1.0 rules so is it in the best interest that there is a specific forum where they might discuss ruling issues in there and maybe even making fanmade rebalances of 2.0 cards for 1.0 or things like that. There is no reason to have them in the same sub-forum as 2.0, but there is all the reason to have a specific 1.0 forum, unless there is some practical errors behind this that I am missing.

This if only for not alienating them.

<3

When all realities in which you can lose are eleminated, first then can you be proclaimed the winner.

March 26th, 2015, 8:54 am
Moderator Ninja

Gimp wrote:

Unless the new rules and updated cards are made available for free online, everybody who has the old version is stuck until and unless they buy the new version if they have any rules questions.

That's a crappy way to treat fans.

There is a reason I posted this long before it will happen. It's not a crappy way to treat fans if concerns are heard and used to make a final decision :)

I am quite sure they will post the Forgotten King Rulebook online as they have with their other products. Stat cards I am not so sure about. IIRC the Forgotten King Rulebook is already online someplace and was linked in one of the Kickstarter updates.

March 26th, 2015, 9:24 am
Mini-Boss

Here draft rules.

http://ninjadivision.com/wp-content/upl ... -Rules.pdf

“Our patience will achieve more than your force.” - Edmund Burke

March 26th, 2015, 10:26 am
Bottle Cap

My point was based on the concept of Soda Pop not being willing to leave a 1.0 question forum.

Ignoring long term fans simply because they are not buying the new rules as soon as possible would be treating them extremely poorly, hence my comment about crappt treatment.

Leaving the 1.0 rules forums available is a simple way to not leave those fans behind, and thus not fall into what I would consider crappy treatment of the fans.

Draft rules are exactly that, and not a final game. I've seen massive changes between draft and final rules for several games, even when those rules are declared to be finalized. Nor are draft rules without the relevant cards of use for more than piquing interest in the new rules. Without the cards, they would be unplayable. If the map tiles are radically diferent, they could cause similar issues.

I won't be buying the new game until I've had a chance to find out how much it has changed, and how well new and old problems have been resolved. I have plenty of ways to keep myself entertained while gaming to be able to take the time to make sure the new rules are worth the changes.

It is not the fans responsibility to automatically support a new version of a game. It is the company's responsibility to give fans something worthwhile, or risk losing the support of those fans. Fans vote with their money, and companies have to earn those votes. Supporting those fans can keep those votes. Ignoring those fans will lose them.

Leaving support available, even if it is not support that is further updated, for the older version of a game while the new is first becoming available is a minimalist level of effort to support the fan base any company will need if they want to thrive.

March 26th, 2015, 11:43 am
Denizen

I think a forum to discus old rule sets is a good idea, but that making it specific to SDE 1.0 is overkill, especially when there were some huge changes between 1.0 and 1.5. I would recommend adding one forum to discus all discontinued rule sets, which I imagine would eventually include other rule sets then SDE 1.X.

Also it should be noted that at one point SPM posted a spreadsheet of all the treasure/loot/explorer cards which was used by some to make decks for testing.

March 26th, 2015, 12:04 pm
Ninja Corps

just make an old rules forum as a sub-forum to this one. Like the specific faction dedicated forums under relic knights. People just have to realize that new ruling,s new clarifications, new FAQs, etc are just not going to happen for the first version of the game anymore.

March 26th, 2015, 4:42 pm
Moderator Ninja

Old rules forum is up and it was saved for those who wished it. If anyone wants anything moved one way or the other please let me know!

Shane

April 6th, 2015, 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]