View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PvP Arena FAQ 
Ninja Corps

Last update: April 6th 2014

I will compile Questions and Answers regarding PvP Arena here. So we have all in one thread.

Just post your questions here and I will get official answers for you (might take some time, but I will get them ;)

The PvP Arena living rulebook can be found here: http://sodapopminiatures.com/media/down ... -arena.pdf

Questions that still need to be answered:

Q: What happens if 1 star icon is rolled on the treasure chart?

Q: Can monsters attack a wandering monster? If yes, does the wandering monster also drop a relic card if killed by another Monster?

Recently answered questions:

Placing the Mini-Boss

Q: Do I assume correctly, that once the second Mini-Boss has been killed they are gone for good?
A: Yes.

Prepare for Battle

Q: Do we have to remove the Boo Booty Cards from the treasure deck?
A: Yes, remove the Boo Booty cards from the treasure deck, as well as the resurrection charms from the loot deck.

Q: Do I shuffle treasure cards for Heroes and Mini-Bosses into the deck?
A: Use the loot and treasure decks from the core game. A single copy of a treasure card from any expansion or promo character may be added to the deck.

Treasue Chests

Q: If a Boo Booty gets killed, does the player get to roll on the treasure chart again?
A: No, the Boo Booty drops a relic card (luck does not apply)

Answered Questions:

April 3rd, 2014, 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Okay, maybe these are basic questions, but I couldn't find any clear answers to them:

1) Can you move through occupied squares as long as you don't end your movement in them?
2) Can my monsters attack:
a) my opponent's monsters?
b) my opponent's spawn point?
c) a miniboss?
3) Can a wandering monster, like a Boo Booty or a mini boss, attack:
a) my opponent's monsters?
b) my opponent's spawn point?

April 18th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Ninja Corps

Milo, you are right, these are pretty basic. If the arena rules don't say anything specific use basic rules and replace "monsters" and "heroes" by "friendly models" and "enemy models".

So:
1) you can only move through squares occupied by friendly models or treasure chests.
2)
a) yes
b) yes
c) still waiting for an answer
3)
a) yes
b) yes

April 18th, 2014, 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Hey guys, I'm new to the game and have a ton of questions. I'm really enjoying the arena mode of play and here are some questions you might be able to help me with:

General Rules Questions:
1) This question is more general - does Crusher's turtle tremor cause no dmg if there are no shells in the aoe? does he use att/will/dex in addition to the +1B dice?
2) Does the bombardier use attack stat or dex stat for turtle cannon? Since this attack does not say dangerous, it would not hurt friendly models in the aoe...correct?

Arena Specific questions:
1)Roller's Thwack! is revolved around hurting the hero. In Arena, would it be right to assume that this ability also works on enemy monsters?
2) Do Shallow Graves receive some benefit in Arena? I believe I read they reduce enemie's ranged attacks or something?
3) When activating monsters, can you activate both a mini boss and a boo booty? does the boo booty count as a skull of activation?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

May 19th, 2014, 9:04 pm
Denizen

davethebabe wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the game and have a ton of questions. I'm really enjoying the arena mode of play and here are some questions you might be able to help me with:

General Rules Questions:
1) This question is more general - does Crusher's turtle tremor cause no dmg if there are no shells in the aoe? does he use att/will/dex in addition to the +1B dice?
It's still an attack so will do damage, and unless specified otherwise (within the attack or on the stat bar) attacks use ATT
Quote:
2) Does the bombardier use attack stat or dex stat for turtle cannon? Since this attack does not say dangerous, it would not hurt friendly models in the aoe...correct?
the cannon is a range 10 attack which means it uses ATT, and yes no dangerous means it wont hurt friendlies
Quote:
1)Roller's Thwack! is revolved around hurting the hero. In Arena, would it be right to assume that this ability also works on enemy monsters?
yes, see Götz Kirchhauser logic above
Quote:
2) Do Shallow Graves receive some benefit in Arena? I believe I read they reduce enemie's ranged attacks or something?
the reduced range is Von Drakks Dungeon effect.
Quote:
3) When activating monsters, can you activate both a mini boss and a boo booty? does the boo booty count as a skull of activation?
you activate 4 Skulls plus and wondering monster, mini boss and boo booty don't count against the skulls.

May 19th, 2014, 10:01 pm
Ninja Corps

davethebabe wrote:

1) Still waiting for a definitive answer, because the wording of the ability explicitely states heroes - but common sense says yes.

2) No, this applies only if Von Drakk is in the game (which won't happen in Arena).

3) In addition to your 5 skulls worth of monsters you may also activate all wandering monsters in the arena. That means up to one mini-boss AND 2 boo-booties.

May 19th, 2014, 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Hey thanks for the quick replies! One more question for tonight:

When a hero uses a potion, does that effect last until the next time they activate their hero or until their next turn?
I was using the barbarian in the last game and the potion gives her backlash and armor. Does she retain backlash until I activate her again? Similarly, she also has toughness. I believe toughness states that it will heal only when the hero is activated.

My friend and I could not decide how to proceed with this.
1) In one hand, I could use a potion and decide not to activate my hero again to maintain backlash. In this situation, however, I would also not benefit from toughness as I would need to activate my hero.
2) the second way to play this would be that the arena rules work in turns and not who you decide to activate. The potion would wear off but the toughness would activate every round.
3) I suppose it could also be that potions only last one turn and abilities like toughness also only work when you activate that model.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for answering my previous questions!

May 20th, 2014, 12:14 am
Ninja Corps

The Arena Rules don't say anything explicit, so basic rules apply. The potion does potentially last indefinitely if you don't activate your hero again (as does any aura).

Rule of thumb: if you don't find anything in the arena rules use the basic rules.

May 20th, 2014, 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Quote:
The potion does potentially last indefinitely if you don't activate your hero again (as does any aura).

ah, so then would you also say that the toughness only applies when activating the hero?

Rules wise, this would make sense. Thematically...i'm not entirely sure, but I am ok with that.

May 20th, 2014, 12:49 am
Ninja Corps

Yes. It also goes the other way round - say, one of your models suffers fire. If you simply don't activate it anymore it will never suffer a wound from fire.

May 20th, 2014, 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

hah, that's really interesting. thanks for clearing that up!

May 20th, 2014, 2:48 pm
Bottle Cap

1) During your monster activation turn is the wandering monster considered an ally model for the turn?

Questions regarding potions and buffs.
2) Can potions/special target any ally model including spawned monsters?
3) Will the potion/special last until the model who the potion/special belonged to is activated?
Ex. Star Guild Sapper Potion: Burning Bloom
"All non special attacks made by the affected Hero gain "Range 8, Fire"
Will the affected model now have range 8 and fire until the Star Guild Sapper in next activated?

4) Can the Curse Coven Witch's Transmogrify potion turn ANY model (Hero, miniboss, minion, etc.) into a Miserable Toad?

Miserable Toad Specific Questions
4a) Can any ally model spend a action to give the toad a kiss? (See question 1)
4b) If a model has lower maximum health than the Miserable Toad does its maximum health increase when transmogrified?

July 17th, 2014, 6:30 am
Ninja Corps

Atomikrin wrote:
1) During your monster activation turn is the wandering monster considered an ally model for the turn?

Still waiting for an answer on that one. I'd say yes.

Atomikrin wrote:
2) Can potions/special target any ally model including spawned monsters?

Still waiting for a definitive answer. It should probably be: Allied Monsters can be a target of a special action but not of a potion.

Atomikrin wrote:
3) Will the potion/special last until the model who the potion/special belonged to is activated?
Ex. Star Guild Sapper Potion: Burning Bloom
"All non special attacks made by the affected Hero gain "Range 8, Fire"
Will the affected model now have range 8 and fire until the Star Guild Sapper in next activated?

Potion timing is like in the original game. In your example the potion's effect would last until the model that profits from it is activated next.

Atomikrin wrote:
4) Can the Curse Coven Witch's Transmogrify potion turn ANY model (Hero, miniboss, minion, etc.) into a Miserable Toad?

Also still waiting for an answer, but since the Miserable Toad card is supposed to be a hero card and not a monster card it should only affect heroes. Also, Monsters cannot generate hearts and potions with dice - the toad has an ability that lets it generate such as if it had rolled them...

Atomikrin wrote:
Miserable Toad Specific Questions
4a) Can any ally model spend a action to give the toad a kiss? (See question 1)

yes

Atomikrin wrote:
4b) If a model has lower maximum health than the Miserable Toad does its maximum health increase when transmogrified?

Depends on the answer to 4

July 17th, 2014, 6:45 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

OK not a power gamer here but maybe these have been asked before somewhere else. I have been toying with my SDEA army and have found that some things might be broken you tell me.

1. Kobold Warrens Spawns does each spawn control what the card states or does both cards control what the card states?
Shallow Grave has 2 spawns as well but coveres the whole box. While Kobold spawns would be broken to have the entire starter box between two spawns. It is my believe that both spawns control what is on one card thus only 2 flingers, 1 dragon mage can be brought into a single arena army is this the case? I'm actually hoping so because I have been getting wrecked by these guys who start with 4 flingers at setup and crush me from afar.

2. Shallow Grave card states 6 ratttle-bones but I have 0 in my box was I shorted or typo? or were Rattle-Bones my bone pile tokens?

3. Pumpkin Patch says 6 skullbats only have 4 there was I shorted again or typos?

July 17th, 2014, 4:13 pm
Ninja Corps

While these questions are not strictly Arena related I can still answer them easily:

AL13N wrote:
1. Kobold Warrens Spawns does each spawn control what the card states or does both cards control what the card states?
Shallow Grave has 2 spawns as well but coveres the whole box. While Kobold spawns would be broken to have the entire starter box between two spawns. It is my believe that both spawns control what is on one card thus only 2 flingers, 1 dragon mage can be brought into a single arena army is this the case? I'm actually hoping so because I have been getting wrecked by these guys who start with 4 flingers at setup and crush me from afar.

A spawn point pair is two spawn points and only comes with what is on the card. They've been cheating ;)

AL13N wrote:
2. Shallow Grave card states 6 ratttle-bones but I have 0 in my box was I shorted or typo? or were Rattle-Bones my bone pile tokens?

There should be 4 Rattle Bones - They are the skeletons that are just wearing pants - no armor, no weapons. If you don't have these you have a mispack. The 6 is a misprint / has been changed between conception and production.

AL13N wrote:
3. Pumpkin Patch says 6 skullbats only have 4 there was I shorted again or typos?

There are only 4. The 6 is a misprint / has been changed between conception and production.

July 17th, 2014, 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Awesome thanks but ok I now have a miss pack. How do I go about getting the 4 rattle bones?

July 17th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Bottle Cap

Thanks for the quick response Götz Kirchhauser!

Last arena question.
I just got one of the arena play mats and it has three different symbols on it for different terrain areas.

Canyon/PacMan - I assume this is a nontraversable canyon. Except when my friend and I played we assumed flying figures could.
Boot - Uneven terrain (costs 2 movement to enter)
House - ???? My first guess was spawn point locations but it put them all out in the open in bad locations and the map felt kind of unbalanced. Any suggestions?

July 18th, 2014, 5:48 am
Ninja Corps

Atomikrin wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Götz Kirchhauser!

Last arena question.
I just got one of the arena play mats and it has three different symbols on it for different terrain areas.

Canyon/PacMan - I assume this is a nontraversable canyon. Except when my friend and I played we assumed flying figures could.
Boot - Uneven terrain (costs 2 movement to enter)
House - ???? My first guess was spawn point locations but it put them all out in the open in bad locations and the map felt kind of unbalanced. Any suggestions?

You're welcome!

This is not strictly an arena question. The arena play mat already has the symbols for the 2.0 rules on it. The meaning of the symbols and how models interact with them is explained in this rules preview: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... sts/798068

July 18th, 2014, 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Arena Question can you start as Von Wilder or must I start the game as Von Wilding? AKA for those shape shifters Can you start as Angry Bear?

July 19th, 2014, 5:19 am
Ninja Corps

AL13N wrote:
Arena Question can you start as Von Wilder or must I start the game as Von Wilding? AKA for those shape shifters Can you start as Angry Bear?

As per normal rules models with the shapeshifting ability always start in their human form (basic rule book page 18).

July 19th, 2014, 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next