View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Explore Cards and mid game scaling questions 
Bottle Cap

I bought the game recently and today played the first game, i never had a chance to play the 1st edition so i dont really know how this goes against it but the Forgotten King is really so-so, could be way better if i could get some thoughts or ideas how the "change" some of the rules that make the game feel unbalanced with a reversed scaling (instead being easier at start and getting harder through mid and late game, the game is hard in early game gets easy in mid and childsplay in late game)

1. Explore cards are mega useless, whats the point of such big explore deck when you only use 2-3 cards in a game, are there any good ways to use those more often? Or making at least rewarding to players to actually use explore? Like making a role when they use eplore of they own will, and make a table of what happens when they roll have a good enough roll. Like you roll a blue die, epmty spaces means you found nothing, a heart means you found a potion, 1 star activates a explore card 2 stars give you princess coin, or something like this.

2. Mid to Late game has zero balance, the normal monsters are just cannon fodder and moving any of them just gets them killed why they do nothing at all, even a boost after 2 minibosses is nothing. The Boss actually can do something but still can get owned really quick with not much effort. The game is hard and interesting on the first tile, but after that it gets so easy its not even trying to be challenging or giving any chances to the consul.

3. The game rules state the game is made for 2-6 players, but playing with 3 heroes or more is already a total disadvantage to the consul, the game only has 2 mini bosses so a lot of the rules are totally useless when you dont buy at least 1 expansion. Expansions should bring new rules and challanges and not making the already esxisting rules useful. Can a mini boss from the standard pack be reused to add some more challenge to the game? Not that it would really matter while the problem in mentioned above in number 2 still stands.

I dont really have a full change of rules in mind as they are easy to understand and get into, but some house rules for those 3 above problems could make this game more playable and a lot of fun. Cause as it stands now i wanna sell this game.

May 20th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Ninja Corps

I would highly advise to try out the new Arcade or Classic rules that were just written for the 2.0 Kickstarter, they fix a lot of the issues you mention (the Explore deck isn't used any more, as an example). You can get them here from the forums. They were actually in community development Beta for the last 9-months, and area actually almost wrapped up to head off the printers. Don't seel yet!

May 21st, 2017, 2:23 am
Bottle Cap

First of all i wanna play story mode cause its more interesting than arcade, if i would want to play a game with all players cooperating against some evil thats being controlled through cards or dice rolls i would pick one of 100 games that are better at this and are way cheaper.
Second i paid for the full game not for half of it, if one part of a game on steam would not work i would go for a refund. Thats why im asking for some good ways to solve those problems with house rules, cause maybe had same thoughts and made some custom rules.

May 21st, 2017, 3:37 am
Bottle Cap

Just for the sake of knowing what i say ive read the beta rules you so recommended. Instead making the game better they actually managed to break it even further, with those you dont use explore cards anymore, so no more traps, but what is a dungeon without traps, yes its not a dungeon anymore. Second, Forgoten King had problems with minion and elite monsters being too weak in mid and late game, now the whole consul is weak as hell, in 5 games with those rules the consul lost the game totally having zero chances against the heroes, at least he had some chances in Forgoten King. Third is whats hurting me the most, the rules got so complex i needed to read it 5 times to understand them and i still feel im playing half of them wrong anyway. Explaining the standard rules to my friends took me 10 minutes, explaining the beta rules took me around 30 minutes. Also what is 1W? Since when does Forgoten King have white dices. The rules are completly unusable. Im kinda sad cause i bought this game for my birthday but now i feel like ive thrown my money out, the game is not cheap (costs 1/4 of my monthly pay), and as it currently stands it will be just something that will gather dust.

May 23rd, 2017, 9:19 pm
Minion

It took me some tile as well to understand the rules but now I have it.
1- 1w means +1 STAR. Maybe that wording could have been better in the bêta, but at least now you have it proper.
2- a fair numer of the Challenge Card feature traps. Yes they are not events happening on some squares anymore, but there ARE traps.
3-difficulty depends a LOT on which tiles you chose, which heroes, which spawns....Difficulty (Hard Mode) cards...The game is hard/long to learn for Newbies, true, but if they know a bit about tactical games they will get the hand of it. The difficulty of a game however, you can really calibrate that by choosing all previously said paramèters.

May 24th, 2017, 1:54 pm
Bottle Cap

Ive asked for ideas what to do with a game worth 100 euro that does not work at all without waisting more cash to buy anything more to make it playable.
1. There are no challenge cards in Forgoten King as there are none of the new tokens and stuff mentioned in the beta rules, which are useless this way.
2. Challenge cards are from what i read arcade only, and im saying it now the 3rd time i dont care for arcade i want classic mode. If you miss something once its a mistake but when you miss something 2 times it really questions your reading skills.
3. The fact that the game cost this much and the people behind the game dont have any countermessure for dissatisfied customers is outrageous, especially after 2 years after releasing such a unbalanced and unplayable game.

May 24th, 2017, 2:49 pm
Minion

shineek wrote:
2. Challenge cards are from what i read arcade only, and im saying it now the 3rd time i dont care for arcade i want classic mode. If you miss something once its a mistake but when you miss something 2 times it really questions your reading skills.

Thx for the insult on my reading skills. You say we don't read, but then why do you speak of "story mode" when such thing does not exist ? Why then your 1. does not answer to mine, if you are good at reading ?

Go check Loot-o-meter if you want only house-rules. And no, with the tone you have, I'm not gonna dig it for you.

May 24th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Bottle Cap

Lootometer is a really good set of house rules. The reason those tokens aren't available is because they're beta, everyone using them has made their own, it's not hard. And just because you don't like a game, does not mean we are entitled to change it to suit your tastes.

My painted SDE gallery

May 24th, 2017, 6:40 pm
Bottle Cap

Quote:
I would highly advise to try out the new Arcade or Classic rules that were just written for the 2.0 Kickstarter, they fix a lot of the issues you mention (the Explore deck isn't used any more, as an example). You can get them here from the forums.

Where can those files be found? I've been digging for them but searching for 2.0 keeps returning Fallen King stuff. Maybe put up a pinned thread with the latest PDF?

June 3rd, 2017, 7:52 pm
Ninja Corps

Here's Arcade, Classic & Pet Parade:

http://ninjadivision.com/wp-content/upl ... -5-5-1.zip

June 3rd, 2017, 9:06 pm
Minion

Yeah the Explore deck is kinda wasted, seeing as you only flip a card per tile (and I never bothered using activations to search more). So maybe use a house rule to flip an explore card for each Hero Phase Power-Up, or at the start of each Hero Phase. And any cards that state a effect on a particular tile can be assigned by the Consul (baddie) player.

As for game balance, its all down to the amount of Loot the game generates for Heroes. Its been a known problem since the game came out and easiest fix is: Heroes need to kill 3 skulls woth of 8-Bit monsters to earn a loot card at the end of the Hero phase. Or just use the small chart from the beta Classic rules (page 19) for Loot and Treasure distrbution, 2 minutes would have it scribbled onto a piece of paper or card.

If the mini-boss isnt on the field I see no problem with reusing it, the problem arises if you just keep reusing the same one. Limit to 2 of each mini-boss so you cant keep respawning the Treant, for example.

June 4th, 2017, 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]