View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15th, 2017, 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Legends Beta - Support Action Bandage 
Denizen

Long time player (since V1), don't like dealing with Forums cause.. well, I don't often..

anyway.. Following the Legends Beta rule upgrade, the Basic Actions list has changed. the notable bit for me is removing some of the.. not more complex but some redundant support actions. Now one problem I see right now is Bandage seams to have gone. While on it's own, that isn't a major lost (Bandage was a simple easy way to almost ALWAYS recover a wound, the knock-on effect means some cards now feature an action which doesn't happen. The ability 'Fixable' says when you successfully roll for bandage, you heal two wounds instead of one. This is a problem (even if minor) because it means pretty much an out-of-date card that needs replacing.

The main character I can think that uses that ability right now is Jack Scarecrow, one of the newer figures.

personally, I didn't feel that bandage unbalanced too much as it was a case of 'Do you carry on fighting all these monsters, or lose one attack in order to try and patch up your wounds'. though it did mean some patching up after Wave 1 of monsters, meaning that player wasn't as worn down for wave 2, but it seamed minor and just seamed to slow down the wounds slightly.

November 3rd, 2016, 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

ManicMan wrote:
Long time player (since V1), don't like dealing with Forums cause.. well, I don't often..

anyway.. Following the Legends Beta rule upgrade, the Basic Actions list has changed. the notable bit for me is removing some of the.. not more complex but some redundant support actions. Now one problem I see right now is Bandage seams to have gone. While on it's own, that isn't a major lost (Bandage was a simple easy way to almost ALWAYS recover a wound, the knock-on effect means some cards now feature an action which doesn't happen. The ability 'Fixable' says when you successfully roll for bandage, you heal two wounds instead of one. This is a problem (even if minor) because it means pretty much an out-of-date card that needs replacing.

The main character I can think that uses that ability right now is Jack Scarecrow, one of the newer figures.

personally, I didn't feel that bandage unbalanced too much as it was a case of 'Do you carry on fighting all these monsters, or lose one attack in order to try and patch up your wounds'. though it did mean some patching up after Wave 1 of monsters, meaning that player wasn't as worn down for wave 2, but it seamed minor and just seamed to slow down the wounds slightly.

I think the problem comes from the fact that heroes now have a double activation per consul turn, so that is a lot of bandaging that could happen whilst still dealing enough damage to keep the monsters at bay. This may not be the case, but I assume it was removed for a reason.

Also as for fixable this has been brought to soda pop's attention.

P.s. welcome to the forums.

November 3rd, 2016, 10:08 am
Denizen

yeah.. I must say, most games I play have some.. minor house rules due to that fact I have trouble getting people to play with. This sadly means I mostly play with 2 other people, and one of them isn't the best at such games, but still can enjoy it and does, and it makes matters easier to do as the rules say you can (change party size) and play with 2 heroes, and 2 tiles. makes much smaller games but makes it much more possible and easier.

I do think the double activation per consul team is a bit.. confusing for new players and ones who aren't as experienced with such games (I've been playing RPGs, Dungeon crawlers (before they were called that really) since I was a little tiny kid and have a wide experience and collection ^_^) and find it much easier for everyone if there is the player turn, then consul turn like most older games I've played (though I will say it's mixed on video game side between turn-based based on speed or based on turn). with 2 heroes, this is fairly easy cause Hero 1 has his Activation, Hero 2 is next, then Consul, which leans towards the player having the advantage (but i'm used to games where the DM's job isn't to defeat the players but to make it as hard as possible to try to defeat the heroes (name a single Video game Dungeon Crawler or PRG or anything like that where the enemies were designed to defeat the player, more then to give an increasing challenge to make the game enjoyable?).. the rules for single activation were fine with 1 hero, Consul 2nd hero, consul, etc though I found it could lean a bit towards overpowering the heroes so mostly for the sake of slowly introducing the rules, I tweaked it for when needed.

the 2 activation seams... needlessly complex to me.. when playing with new players or players which aren't as into such a game, trying to remind them in (for example) a 3 hero game that 2 heroes move, then the consul, then 1 of them heroes Plus the other hero, then consul, then that other hero and the one from the first.. and expect them to remember and keep track all the time, when confusion is bad enough with Uno direction swapping is... a pain.. I can understand and do follow balance ideas but yeah, more complex.. (and yes, I do know the tip about using game effect tokens).

ah but of course, the problems with too many cooks.. look what happened to Games Workshop... really started to drop the ball in the 90s, deadweight now... new rules with tons of overprice new rule books pretty much every year ¬_¬ once upon a time when Fantasy games were taking a real hold, which lead to games like DnD, a lot of companies wanted to talk with the players to come up with the best rules but it's impossible cause everyone wants something different and whoever is directing either gets pulled in every direction making a huge mess of complex controls which need special rule cards (like when they had to make card overlays when they tried to make games too complex for the consoles like the spectrum, C64 and Atari 5200 (or 2600 and 7200 for that matter), compared to arcade games which basically had 1 or 2 buttons. problem is when they wanted to add more and more features.. If a player can kick and punch, using the direction to say if it's a upper punch, middle, or lower, that's fine.. 2 buttons, a 4 way d-pad, no problem.. then they wanted to add jumping, crouching.. still fine but you want to do a upper kick which is different from a flying kick with only 4 directions and 2 buttons? getting into messy ground..

well, this is partly side-tracking now.. If they are aware of the problem, fine. good and I hope to see it addressed at some point. no matter how the rules end up, I can see house rules being used like mad... how many people play monopoly without some form of house rule? probably some but I doubt many.. it's why some version come with the rule book listing a bunch of house rules.. in fact, the game itself was a stolen game using house rules from an earlier game ^_^

and Thanks for the welcome ^_^

November 3rd, 2016, 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]