View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What are the inspirations for the models? 
Mini-Boss

So I've noticed a lot of the models aren't quite a direct copy of something else, but are heavily inspired. For example:

Son Goku - Goku from DBZ. Has spiky hair, and his tail.
Uzumaki - Naruto. From the Kitsune Clan, has an ability that makes him Moon Powered called 9 tails, etc.
Ryu - Ryu from street fighter, but old?
Hanzo - Hanzo from the Samurai Warriors games? Or maybe was it Ninja Gaiden or something?
Bakusho - Hard Gay from some Japanese show, not sure of real origins

What other characters can draw inspiration from somewhere else?

April 22nd, 2015, 1:36 am
Dungeon Boss

eternaldream wrote:
So I've noticed a lot of the models aren't quite a direct copy of something else, but are heavily inspired. For example:

Son Goku - Goku from DBZ. Has spiky hair, and his tail.
Uzumaki - Naruto. From the Kitsune Clan, has an ability that makes him Moon Powered called 9 tails, etc.
Ryu - Ryu from street fighter, but old?
Hanzo - Hanzo from the Samurai Warriors games? Or maybe was it Ninja Gaiden or something?
Bakusho - Hard Gay from some Japanese show, not sure of real origins

What other characters can draw inspiration from somewhere else?

Son Goku is actually inspired by Sun Wukong, the Monkey King. Hence the tail and the cludgeon. And Hanzo was was inspired by the master samurai/ninja of Japanese history, who is highly romanticized in popular culture. Otherwise you pretty much got the others right.

Otherwise, here are the others I can spot:

Howl and Yip - A Lone Wolf and Cub reference.
Mizaru - Named after the monkey who "sees no evil." Fitting for his stealth-negating powers.
Yobuko - A yokai in Japanese folklore, though this depiction is fairly off from what the Yobuko truly is.
Bomechan - A combination of Bome, a reference to the famous anime figurine sculptor known for his highly exaggerated female figures, and -chan, the honorific suffix for someone who is cute or younger.
Mizuchi - A japanese water dragon/deity.
Karura - A divine being in Japanese folklore with a bird-like head and a human torso
Onryo - She is a reference to a famous Japanese horror film, though I am unfamiliar with which one she is from.
Benkei - Benkei from history, spear and all.
Onibaba - A reference to the Japanese horror film of the same name.
Goemon - Japan's historical Robin Hood, his sculpt is a reference to some film about the historical Goemon that I am unfamiliar with.
Yagyu Jubei - Historical figure.
Momotaru - A reference to Momotaro, a popular hero from Japanese folklore.
Komuso - A group of monks who wore baskets on their heads to remove their ego.
Yokozuna- A reference to the pro-wrestler champion known as Rodney Agatupa Anoa'i, whose stage name was Yokozuna.
Arashikagi - Storm Shadow from G.I. Joe.
Jorogumo - Based off the Japanese mythological creature of the same name.
Musashi - A reference to the historical figure, though again his sculpt is representative of some movie I am unfamiliar with.
Blind Swordsman - a reference to the movie of the same name.
Zenyou Ryu - An alternate romanization of Zennyo Ryu, which is a rain dragon in Japanese folklore.
Tamamo No Mae - Based off the folklore character of the same name.
Akkorokamui - A giant Japanese squid monster.
Byakko - Japanese for White Tiger.
Kappa, Tengu, Inu Kaiken, and Ondori Kaiken are undoubtedly based off of their mythological creature counterparts as well.
Wandering Samurai is pretty generic, and Dark Kitsune is described in its name.

Mochizuki and Shojo are the only ones I cannot place...

EDIT: Shojo means Young Woman in Japanese, however this still doesn't explain Shojo's nautical exploits.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

April 22nd, 2015, 2:29 am
Ninja Corps

Daemonforge wrote:
And Hanzo was was inspired by the master samurai/ninja of Japanese history, who is highly romanticized in popular culture. Otherwise you pretty much got the others right.

To be fair, Hattori Hanzo was a bonified badass. Like, in the historical record, not just being romanticized.

Daemonforge wrote:
Onryo - She is a reference to a famous Japanese horror film, though I am unfamiliar with which one she is from.

The Ring (or "Ringu")

Daemonforge wrote:
Yokozuna- A reference to the pro-wrestler champion known as Rodney Agatupa Anoa'i, whose stage name was Yokozuna.

Yokozuna is just thename of the highest rank of sumo wrestler. There have been many Yokozuna.

Daemonforge wrote:

The character name is Zatoichi

Daemonforge wrote:
EDIT: Shojo means Young Woman in Japanese, however this still doesn't explain Shojo's nautical exploits.

I don't think that's what they were going for. The work for girl is "shoujo". If it is what they were going for, it's a very uncommon for of romanization.

April 22nd, 2015, 4:36 am
Dungeon Boss

Usagi wrote:
Daemonforge wrote:
And Hanzo was was inspired by the master samurai/ninja of Japanese history, who is highly romanticized in popular culture. Otherwise you pretty much got the others right.

To be fair, Hattori Hanzo was a bonified badass. Like, in the historical record, not just being romanticized.

XD Yeah, he was. Though many of his exploits have been highly romanticized, despite being utterly badass to begin with.

Usagi wrote:
Daemonforge wrote:

Yokozuna is just the name of the highest rank of sumo wrestler. There have been many Yokozuna.

I did not know this. I only knew of the Yokozuna I mentioned.

Usagi wrote:
Daemonforge wrote:

The character name is Zatoichi

Yeah, its a movie I am unfamiliar with. I only knew the movie was the inspiration for it, I knew nothing of the movie or the character.

Usagi wrote:
Daemonforge wrote:

I don't think that's what they were going for. The work for girl is "shoujo". If it is what they were going for, it's a very uncommon for of romanization.

I don't know...the more I think about it, the more I feel this was the intent. Her name is an alternate romanization for "young woman," and she wears the traditional Japanese school-girl uniform, which is like a sailor outfit, so its entirely possible this is the intent. However, I still do feel it is only half of the inspiration for the character, and there is some other half we are all missing.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

April 22nd, 2015, 9:22 am
Ninja Corps

I know that Mochi is a doughy rice snack; it is usually brightly colored (often pink) and it can be deadly if eaten without care. It is a traditional treat during the New Year Celebrations, so part of me wonders if it is an inside joke about how the Chinese New Year always messes with SPM Shipping? Beyond that, fireworks are a common New Years trapping, represented by her pistols, as well as the fancy kimono.

So maybe MOCHIzuki is just a deadly piece of candy?

My 2 cents anyway.

For Shojo, I've got nothing.

April 22nd, 2015, 10:31 am
Dungeon Boss

Son Of Menoth wrote:
I know that Mochi is a doughy rice snack; it is usually brightly colored (often pink) and it can be deadly if eaten without care. It is a traditional treat during the New Year Celebrations, so part of me wonders if it is an inside joke about how the Chinese New Year always messes with SPM Shipping? Beyond that, fireworks are a common New Years trapping, represented by her pistols, as well as the fancy kimono.

So maybe MOCHIzuki is just a deadly piece of candy?

My 2 cents anyway.

For Shojo, I've got nothing.

Good find on Mochizuki. That is probably the best explanation we have on her right now, and I wouldn't put it against SPM if she basically is a crack at the Chinese New Year. Would fit their sense of humor.

April 22nd, 2015, 10:34 am
Bottle Cap

I have actually made mochi... and unless it is spoiled due to poor storage or lack of refrigeration I can't see how it would be any more deadly than any other food

April 22nd, 2015, 1:16 pm
Ninja Corps

Mochi is a severe choking hazard if improperly eaten. There are several cases of death each year in Japan from people choking or suffocating while eating Mochi, the hazards of Mochi are listed on the Wikipedia entry [trust me, I know. I am from the internet!]. Truly a deadly snack. I personally have choked on it before. Fortunately it was a small enough piece to get dislodged.

saramin wrote:
I have actually made mochi... and unless it is spoiled due to poor storage or lack of refrigeration I can't see how it would be any more deadly than any other food

Personal question: Bean paste or no bean paste?

April 22nd, 2015, 1:50 pm
Mini-Boss

Daemonforge wrote:
...Wandering Samurai is pretty generic...

The Wondering Samurai is based off of the Sanjuro from Yojimbo (played by Toshiro Mifune).

The character is a wondering samurai in a very similar vein to the wondering gunfighters from many western films (the film has been remade as a western by Sergio Leone).

Notice the facial features, hair and outfit all match Mifune's in the role- especially note the circular designs:

April 22nd, 2015, 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I think I need to watch seven samurai again

and no bean paste... sorry ... we couldn't find any here is england

April 22nd, 2015, 4:33 pm
Ninja Corps

I think some of the models might have multiple points of inspiration too:
Yokozuna: E Honda [SF], he even has the 1000 Hand Slap attack
Byakko: though it means White Tiger, he is obviously inspired by Wolverine. He has the claws and the hair.

saramin wrote:
and no bean paste... sorry ... we couldn't find any here is england

Unfortunate, red bean paste is the best. Makes me glad there is a small Japanese marketplace near by.

April 22nd, 2015, 5:33 pm
Bottle Cap

Yobuko = Shin Akuma - Unplayable boss mode character of Akuma from Street Fighter series. Same appearance, color scheme and his ability "Supreme Master of the Fist" is a quote from Akuma.

April 22nd, 2015, 5:37 pm
Ninja Corps

saramin wrote:

You should also give Samurai 7 a go. It's a very interesting interpretation of the movie in the form of a pseudo sci-fi anime series. It also does a good job of extrapolating well beyond the events of the movie.

April 22nd, 2015, 5:37 pm
Mini-Boss

Usagi wrote:
saramin wrote:

You should also give Samurai 7 a go. It's a very interesting interpretation of the movie in the form of a pseudo sci-fi anime series. It also does a good job of extrapolating well beyond the events of the movie.

To be honest, Seven Samurai has been re-made quite a number of times. For example:

Seven Samurai as a western = The Magnificent 7
Magnificent 7 as a comedy western = The Three Amigos
Three Amigos as a science fiction comedy = Galaxy Quest

April 22nd, 2015, 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

A really super fun sci-fi remake of Magnificent Seven is Battle Beyond The Stars complete with Robert Vaughn reprising his role from the Western!

April 23rd, 2015, 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Dunno if Shojo is a reference to a particular thing. I don't know what her drinking and sailor-ing is about, but she's definately wearing a schoolgirl's outfit with some ninja knickknacks, making her a real shoujo! Unless the "schoolperson + Sailors" is the most roundabout reference to Shenmue I've ever seen.

Musashi looks less like the "Writer of the 5 Rings Musashi" and more of the "Samurai Legend: Musashi" variety

April 23rd, 2015, 3:51 am
Bottle Cap

Shojo is simply a cross-over from Tako-something university, the card game where you're a tentacle trying to abduct Japanese school girls. Two reasons: either they're tired of Candy and Soda or they want to promote the card game. This comes from the fact that she's wearing a sailor uniform (look up the history of this outfit) and works for a company called Tako-tako.

April 23rd, 2015, 4:59 am
Consul

I thought Yokozuna was based on E. Honda from Street Fighter, but I could be mistaken...

April 23rd, 2015, 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Eaglebach wrote:
Shojo is simply a cross-over from Tako-something university, the card game where you're a tentacle trying to abduct Japanese school girls. Two reasons: either they're tired of Candy and Soda or they want to promote the card game. This comes from the fact that she's wearing a sailor uniform (look up the history of this outfit) and works for a company called Tako-tako.

Cross promotion sounds like SPM. Though in the same vein, I am sort of surprised that Marie-Claude didn't make a cameo. She has been in everything else so far. Maybe she will get a Ronin at a later date.

April 23rd, 2015, 2:08 pm
Consul

Regarding Yokozuna and E. Honda...
Their facial paintings are called "kumadori" and is used by "kabuki actors" to convey certain emotions or personal attributes.
Red stripes indicates a powerful hero role while blue represents ghosts, spirits and/or negative emotions like fear or jealousy.

Now you know... :)

April 23rd, 2015, 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next