View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2017, 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What are the inspirations for the models? 
Minion

Mochizuki Chiyome is the name of a noblewoman who founded a group of female ninja spies and assassins in the sengoku period (possibly explaining the outfit / guns combo).

April 24th, 2015, 9:46 am
Bottle Cap

Note on Musashi:

Figure uses oars for weapons because the historical figure famously carved his sword from an oar while en route to his fatal duel with lifelong rival Sasaki Kojiro. (No clue if he actually did that, but it's folklore and the way Eiji Yoshikawa retells the story in his novel.)

Unrelated: In the Pokemon anime, Jessie and James' Japanese names are Musashi and Kojiro: Named for Musashi Miyamoto's and Sasaki Kojiro's rivalry. Now you know /stars

April 29th, 2015, 12:26 am
Denizen

Bakusho just reminded me of the Nudist Beach party from Kill la Kill. Maybe the fireworks are to replace the rainbow censoring glitters in the show? XD
And Hanzo looks like an obvious nod to Ryu from Ninja Gaiden

May 1st, 2015, 5:43 pm
Mini-Boss

Bakusho Mondai is from a contemporary Japanese performer known as "Razor Ramone" or more commonly as "Hard Gay".

February 18th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Minion

I loved Samurai Showdown 2 growing up, so I connected Hanzo with THAT Hanzo, though they may both draw from another primary source.

https://www.google.com/search?q=samurai ... 91UuWqM%3A

After a little Wiki-search: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... zo_Hattori

Hanzo Hattori (服部 半蔵 Hattori Hanzō?) is one of the few characters introduced in Samurai Shodown that appears in every title of the series. He is based on the historical figure of the same name, who was a Tokugawa ninja and head of a clan in Iga. Like several other mythical incarnations, he is an old friend to Jubei due to their ties to the Tokugawa clan. He also married a Koga ninja, Kaede, quelling a long feud between the two ninja clans that is often romanticized in the historical novel The Kouga Ninja Scrolls.

(and now I want a Nakoruru and Galford ninja)

February 19th, 2016, 11:22 am
Ninja Corps

Or it maybe could be that Hanzo Hattori was a real badass ninja during the sengoku jidai period in japan.

His physical design seems to be general enough that one could make an argument that it's "based" on just about any traditional looking ninja character. He also looks almost exactly like Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden/DOA. Or any other character that's meant to be the quintessential "badass ninja". So, I don't really think he's based on anything more than the alpha ninja archetype.

February 19th, 2016, 6:59 pm
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
Or it maybe could be that Hanzo Hattori was a real badass ninja during the sengoku jidai period in japan.

His physical design seems to be general enough that one could make an argument that it's "based" on just about any traditional looking ninja character. He also looks almost exactly like Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden/DOA. Or any other character that's meant to be the quintessential "badass ninja". So, I don't really think he's based on anything more than the alpha ninja archetype.

totally agree and they just slapped on one of the most famous ninja names ever to add to the confusion! lol, but its !SODA! cool to have HH represented in any game!

February 19th, 2016, 8:35 pm
Employee

Arydis wrote:
I loved Samurai Showdown 2 growing up, so I connected Hanzo with THAT Hanzo, though they may both draw from another primary source.

https://www.google.com/search?q=samurai ... 91UuWqM%3A

After a little Wiki-search: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... zo_Hattori

Hanzo Hattori (服部 半蔵 Hattori Hanzō?) is one of the few characters introduced in Samurai Shodown that appears in every title of the series. He is based on the historical figure of the same name, who was a Tokugawa ninja and head of a clan in Iga. Like several other mythical incarnations, he is an old friend to Jubei due to their ties to the Tokugawa clan. He also married a Koga ninja, Kaede, quelling a long feud between the two ninja clans that is often romanticized in the historical novel The Kouga Ninja Scrolls.

(and now I want a Nakoruru and Galford ninja)

As a rabid FGC fan. I remember the Samurai Shodown cast. Picking my favorite is very hard. But I liked Yoshitora's style. And respected that he was designed by Nobuhiro Watsuki (artist of Rurouni Kenshin).

February 20th, 2016, 12:57 am
Mini-Boss

Does Inu Clan Kaiken have any background story?

Also, I am a bit unsure as to what animal it is. I painted mine to look like one of my cats, but the picture looks more like a dog or a fox. Given the "Best Friends" ability he has, I would lean towards dog, but the tail speaks more to a fox. Here is a pic that shows the drawing and the mini.

Any info?

EDIT - in looking at this picture again, the mini has less of a snout than the drawing which makes the former look more like a cat and the latter more like a dog/fox.

October 2nd, 2016, 1:39 pm
Minion

Spazzfist wrote:
Does Inu Clan Kaiken have any background story?

Also, I am a bit unsure as to what animal it is. I painted mine to look like one of my cats, but the picture looks more like a dog or a fox. Given the "Best Friends" ability he has, I would lean towards dog, but the tail speaks more to a fox. Here is a pic that shows the drawing and the mini.

Any info?

EDIT - in looking at this picture again, the mini has less of a snout than the drawing which makes the former look more like a cat and the latter more like a dog/fox.

Inu is Japanese for dog. I think the drawing is somewhat based on this type of dog "Shiba Inu":

October 2nd, 2016, 2:12 pm
Mini-Boss

akai wrote:
Inu is Japanese for dog. I think the drawing is somewhat based on this type of dog "Shiba Inu":

Thanks for that! I think that pegs it pretty clearly.

So unless there is something about this type of dog in Japanese legend, I know that Momotaro (who s one of the ronin that is from Japanese folklore) was on his way to fight an island full of oni and teamed up with a talking dog, monkey and pheasant. Perhaps this dog could be the dog that was with Momotaro (and to that end Ondori Clan Kaiken could be the talking "pheasant"). It would be cool, once we have finished making all of these characters, to actually have a game where these three heroes work together on a game!

October 3rd, 2016, 12:59 am
Minion

Just need a monkey, maybe use the yamazaru oni to represent :D.

When I saw the Inu Clan and Ondori Clan Kaikens, my first thought was that the Dog Clan and Chicken/Bird Clan will be new "animal" ninja clan teams released in a future kickstarter.

October 3rd, 2016, 1:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2