View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Living Rulebook proposed change- making the game deadlier 
Mini-Boss

Here is my proposal:

- Defender wins in a tie
- All Attacks gain +1 die

I think the simplest way for this to be expressed is simply changing the wording such that defenders win in a tie, and increase each attack stat in the book by +1 (including Shurikan)

There are two abilities that would need to be adjusted as well (dirty fighter and dauntless). Both would be easy fixes (dauntless brings you up to one die below your opponent, and dirty fighter allows you to win even if you are equal to your opponent).

Reasoning:

As written, I feel that the game tries to reward players for careful positioning with the threshold system for combat (you have to have X attack value or you're likely to be hurt), But I feel that it doesn't do as good a job of it as I would like (often, the odds are against you getting the result that you'd like). I feel that this is due to the last minute fix from the end of the kickstarter that changed the dice from the "winner choose from both pools" to "winner chooses from only his own pool of dice."

If the game were as deadly as when it was playtested, the rewards for careful positioning and better play go way up.

The game was mostly playtested using the "winner uses all dice" method, but that method had the side effect that the defender was often helping the attacker (more defense dice was often not good for you).

With +1 die, the deadliness is brought back without the wonky effect where the defender is often helping the attacker. I looked over many of the odds charts from during the kickstarter, and adding one die to the attacker brings the odds and deadliness pretty much in line with the playtested game, without having the wonky "high defense is sometimes bad" thing.

What do people think about this change? Is that something you guys can get behind?

June 5th, 2018, 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

I would certainly try it out. Your mention of the last minute rule 'fix' during the Ks is an important decision to consider - was this a good idea - what were the consequences...did it negatively effect the game even tho math wise it made good sense.

June 10th, 2018, 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]