View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 29th, 2017, 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ekhis is on a 40mm base and the Librarian is on a 50mm 
Employee

For all official Soda Pop events Ekhis will be allowed on a 40 or a 50mm base for those of you who prefer it that way.

July 8th, 2014, 2:59 pm
Denizen

Yayz, Deke!!!

July 8th, 2014, 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I'm glad I did not glue mine down. I can save that base for an Academy guard.

July 8th, 2014, 7:04 pm
Bottle Cap

That is excellent news. Thanks, Deke!

July 9th, 2014, 7:58 pm
Ninja Corps

SPM_Deke wrote:
For all official Soda Pop events Ekhis will be allowed on a 40 or a 50mm base for those of you who prefer it that way.

I think this is going to have the same effect as just removing the errata entirely. Given that Cyphers can't be hurt by normal means and Ehkis is size 3, he is vastly more useful as a movement/LOS blocker on the larger base.

Not that I'm saying this is necessarily a bad thing, since the consensus seems to be that everyone wants him on a 50mm base anyway, but it raises the question of why was the errata put out in the first place? If this ruling is going to effectively make the errata irrelevant, why have it in the FAQ at all?

July 10th, 2014, 8:32 am
Mini-Boss

Destrin wrote:
SPM_Deke wrote:

it raises the question of why was the errata put out in the first place? If this ruling is going to effectively make the errata irrelevant, why have it in the FAQ at all?

because the starter box comes with a 40mm base rather than two 50s.

July 10th, 2014, 5:06 pm
Consul

The issue is that Kickstarter Faction starter comes with a 40mm base (which fits the Librarian perfectly) and a 50mm base (which fits Ekhis perfectly). If you're just "heads down" building stuff, it's easy to put Ekhis on the larger base.

July 10th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Minion

Dais wrote:
Destrin wrote:
SPM_Deke wrote:

it raises the question of why was the errata put out in the first place? If this ruling is going to effectively make the errata irrelevant, why have it in the FAQ at all?

Yup. And to me, a packaging error is the absolute worst reason to make an erratum. There's really very, very little chance that between the time the cards and book went to print they did more playtesting and found "Gee, he really shouldn't be on a base that big." It's obviously a reaction to a screw up in packaging, and rather than fix the packaging, they chose to make this unnecessary erratum.

July 10th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Denizen

EXACTLY, Valander.. as you and I discussed the other day, They should just remove it from the Erratum, and instead say what they did here, that it can be used on either base size.

http://miniaturesincolor.wordpress.com/

July 10th, 2014, 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Valander wrote:
Dais wrote:

Yup. And to me, a packaging error is the absolute worst reason to make an erratum. There's really very, very little chance that between the time the cards and book went to print they did more playtesting and found "Gee, he really shouldn't be on a base that big." It's obviously a reaction to a screw up in packaging, and rather than fix the packaging, they chose to make this unnecessary erratum.

I assumed the packaging was correct and they had decided to put him on a 40 but the cards were what was incorrect.

If it's the other way round and the errata is to 'correct' a mispack...that's just ridiculous. A spare base is going to splash you 10p, most retail shops I use would throw that in for free.

July 10th, 2014, 10:21 pm
Consul

SPM_Deke wrote:

Quite frankly, SPM should make 40mm and 50mm bases interchangeable from a rules standpoint:

Small bases = 25 / 30mm
Medium bases = 40 / 50 / 60 mm
Large bases = 75 / 80 mm

Simplifies things by moving to a system that is effectively counting by inches.

July 10th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Minion

Destrin wrote:

I assumed the packaging was correct and they had decided to put him on a 40 but the cards were what was incorrect.

If it's the other way round and the errata is to 'correct' a mispack...that's just ridiculous. A spare base is going to splash you 10p, most retail shops I use would throw that in for free.

Seeing as how the original metal/resin version (which I have) was on a 50mm, and the cards said 50mm, and the book said 50mm... I think the most likely explanation is the more recent one was, in fact, mispacked.

July 10th, 2014, 10:24 pm
Minion

GrauGeist wrote:
SPM_Deke wrote:

Quite frankly, SPM should make 40mm and 50mm bases interchangeable from a rules standpoint:

Small bases = 25 / 30mm
Medium bases = 40 / 50 / 60 mm
Large bases = 75 / 80 mm

Simplifies things by moving to a system that is effectively counting by inches.

Quite frankly, this is a horrible idea. Believe it or not, base size does have game play ramifications, and not having standard sizes causes far more issues.

July 10th, 2014, 10:25 pm
Minion

Looks like I need to order another 50mm when I drop my next Secret Weapon order...

July 10th, 2014, 10:28 pm
Consul

+/-5mm or 10mm is not a big deal in base size on the tabletop. And besides, once a model is based, it's based. It's not like the model changes mid-game.

July 10th, 2014, 10:29 pm
Denizen

actually it can be a big deal for models that habe abilities that are based on proximity to the base. The footprint difference from 40mm to 60mm would be attrocious for those.

The Noh Empire is not a melee-centric force.

July 10th, 2014, 10:46 pm
Consul

The game pre-measures, so no, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. None at all.

July 10th, 2014, 11:24 pm
Minion

It would make a difference.

Imagine terrain with an 8" wide alley way. A 60mm model with an ability to put up an effect that blocks line of sight 3" in every direction could sit in the alleyway and block line of sight through the alleyway. A 40mm model with the same ability would leave a small gap. Given how line of sight works in this game, that small gap would be enough to make an attack that automatically hits (barring a successful guard action).

If you want to skip on a hypothetical line of sight blocking ability, simply drop the Alleyway down to be 60mm wide.

There are many other possible examples, but I'm too lazy to type more out. I think the above makes the point clearly enough.

July 10th, 2014, 11:52 pm
Consul

That is theoretical. In RK Area of Effect (AOE) is tied to a 30mm token, not a model's base...

Quote:
AREA OF EFFECT
An Area of Effect (AoE) is a persistent effect that remains in play throughout the game. When an action creates an AoE, the active unit places an AoE token anywhere on the battlefield so that it is within the unit’s LoS. The effect covers the entire area within 3” of the edge of the token, including the token itself.

Is there an actual model and ability that keys the AOE to the model's base side instead of a standard AOE token??

July 11th, 2014, 12:48 am
Minion

I made no mention of AOEs.

Also, did you read the second example, where the Alleyway is 60mm wide? The 60mm model now blocks the alleyway (no theoretical effect needed), whereas a 40mm model does not.

There are effects that do key off being within X inches of a model. Shield Generator for instance (3" iirc). If you put a shield generator model on a larger base, then the distance covered by their aura increases and more models can benefit from the aura. If a shield generator model is on a 40mm base then if two models are 8" apart they cannot both benefit from the aura, whereas good placement of the shield generator model could affect both models if the shield generator model is on a 60mm base.

This is one of the differences referred to when people suggest that different base sizes do matter.

Typically if you want to spread a buff or debuff further you want a larger base size. Likewise if you want to be a shield for models to hide behind, bigger is better. Conversely if you want to hide, then smaller is better. If players are allowed to choose then they will pick the size most beneficial to them (and if you base size is specified, then you get truly outrageous conversions, google "tyranids" for some examples)

This is why games that strive for tight rules sets will specific base size, whereas beer & skittles games will not.

July 11th, 2014, 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next