View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 23rd, 2017, 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Scale Issues 
Minion

So, last night I finally got a chance open up all my boxes and take a look at the pieces, as well as try to do a parts check to see if any bits were missing.

Starting with the Doctrine Box set I built the mini's in there, The Novitiates, Librarian, Delphyne and Ekhis.
The mini's look pretty good together, there are some mold line issues but not overly bad
Ekhis really needs to get dipped in hot water to make him fit properly, but he cleaned up easy enough
One of the Novitiates looks like she got her face smashed in the side with a fry pan
and Delphyne still looks like Kermit wearing a dress

But overall, I am happy with these guys. They look good together and when I measured them they seem to be 30mm mini's which is what Relic Knights claim the scale of the game is.

After this I went through the rest of the boxes, first I opened up the Prefects and Hasami, and was amazed by how much smaller they were then the novitiates. When you set them side by side they look like they are from two different game systems. The prefects are easily a head shorter, and sculpted with a more delicate frame then the minis from the starter box. The body / limb sizes easily compares with some 20mm figures I have, though the Prefects were slightly taller.

Next I opened Togan and Cecilia. These are sculpted with the same delicate body frame as the prefects, though Cecilia (if standing upright) would be taller, but maybe she os just a tall lady.

Next I opened up Fiametta, and this is one amazon of a woman. She makes the Novitiates look small, and standing her next to the prefects / Hasami / Cecelia, these last figures look like they are toy dolls. While individually they do look real good, when standing next to one another they all just look awkward.

So, after looking at this I opened up my Shattered Sword set. Starting with the Battle Box, Mallory and the Swordsworn look pretty good side by side. The Paragon though are easily head and shoulders above these figures, but hey, they are in massive Aegis Armor, maybe the people inside who wear it get modified in the same manner as space marines and grow to fit this armor. Still overall, these guys all looked good together.

So, next I opened up Dark Space Fiametta, and again, this is an amazon of a woman. She can stand toe to toe with a Paragon and look him straight in the eye.

Isabeau was next to come out of her box. Setting her next to Fiametta, he breasts were at the same level as Fiametta's belly button. Standing her next to the Swordsworn, she is easily a head shorter, and more delicately built (much in the same manner as the prefects of the Doctrine).

Following along this path I opened the Purifiers, and find that they match scale quite well with Isabeau, which basically makes them tinier then the swordsworn. Again, standing Isabeau/Purifiers next to Swordsworn/Mallory next to Fiametta we have 3 distinct scales that do not match, and do not look like they belong together.

I would say that the Starter Boxes come with 30mm figures, the non box set faction pieces look like they are 20-25mm models depending which one you look at, and Fiametta, in any version is easily and epic 35+mm figure.

Doctrine and Shattered Sword are the only two factions I picked up, I am curious to see if this trend is the same for the other 4 factions.

June 24th, 2014, 5:27 pm
Denizen

I took a size comparison pic for my blog (post not up yet, later today), and find that it's relevant to this post:

Left to right it's: Isabeau, Purifier, Swordsworn

I has a blog! http://mydnightshobbycorner.blogspot.com/

June 24th, 2014, 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Love the picture. True, the Shattred sword are closer tp one another, though the Swordsworn is in a slight crough to be at the same head height as the other 2. Do you have pictures of the Doctrine set, would be nice to see Notvitiates next to Prefects, next to Fiametta. Also, if you have Dark Space Fiammetta for the Shattered Sword, could you put her next to the group shown.

June 24th, 2014, 5:44 pm
Denizen

Swan wrote:
Love the picture. True, the Shattred sword are closer tp one another, though the Swordsworn is in a slight crough to be at the same head height as the other 2. Do you have pictures of the Doctrine set, would be nice to see Notvitiates next to Prefects, next to Fiametta. Also, if you have Dark Space Fiammetta for the Shattered Sword, could you put her next to the group shown.

I do have both Doctrine and Cercei, but nothing else assembled. I'll see if I can't get some stuff assembled this week, but I'm also focusing on getting my S-words painted up for Gen Con.

I can put Darkspace Fiammetta next to the group though yes. She is a might be taller it's true.

June 24th, 2014, 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Can I see your S-Words for GEN Con?

;)

http://miniaturesincolor.wordpress.com/

June 24th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

ig4mer wrote:
Can I see your S-Words for GEN Con?

;)

Only when they've been painted up. Alternatively you can follow my occasionally updated blog.

Aw heck, here's a preview:

June 24th, 2014, 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Ahh okay.. cool, thanks for the preview. What ever happened to the follow bar on the Blogger thing? I have one too, but cant seem to find a way to follow your blog now.

http://miniaturesincolor.wordpress.com/

June 24th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

It sounds like Fiametta, specifically, is a giant of a woman, where most of the women of the RK universe are anime petite.

Also, aren't the Novitiates Harry Potter-esque schoolchildren?

So Doctrine inherently has a lot more range of size.

June 24th, 2014, 6:45 pm
Denizen

I got to see the miniatures first hand tonight at my local hobby store, and there are some sizing issues with a few Doctrine pieces.

The prefects and Togan and Celia are the same size as the metal miniatures, while the novitiates are much larger in comparison, making them all look like freshmen college students in comparison to the freshmen highschoolers that are the prefects. Fiametta looks even larger with her levitating off the base and hat, she seemed only a smidge taller than the novitiates for scale of where her feet were in comparison.

The models looked fantastic however, with only a few sculpts really jumping out at me as being in dire need of completely new runs (did not see the whole range mind you, just a good chunk of what a few of the others who got their pledges got).

June 25th, 2014, 2:50 am
Minion

One Shot's Cheesecake pose is positively diminutive.

June 25th, 2014, 4:36 am
Denizen

Sorry this took so long for me to get up, imgur was having issues with my PC last night. Here's a scale pic with Darkspace Fiametta standing between a purifier and Isabeau, with a swordsworn to the left of the purifier:

June 25th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Mydnight wrote:
Sorry this took so long for me to get up, imgur was having issues with my PC last night. Here's a scale pic with Darkspace Fiametta standing between a purifier and Isabeau, with a swordsworn to the left of the purifier:

Instead of always angling down, can you put the 4 figures side by side and take the picture looking straight at the models, that will give a better image of the scale differences

June 25th, 2014, 1:50 pm
Denizen

Swan wrote:
Mydnight wrote:

Instead of always angling down, can you put the 4 figures side by side and take the picture looking straight at the models, that will give a better image of the scale differences

I'll give it another go tonight then.

June 25th, 2014, 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Mydnight wrote:

Thanks, appreciate all the images you keep taking

Now to get my figures primed, oh, and to actually play a game of this finally :)

June 25th, 2014, 2:05 pm
Denizen

Swan wrote:
Mydnight wrote:

Thanks, appreciate all the images you keep taking

Now to get my figures primed, oh, and to actually play a game of this finally :)

I know what you mean! I gotta find me an opponent.

June 25th, 2014, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Figure height is not a scale. Within any given scale, I prefer having figures of different heights — as long as the size of their heads don't look like they belong to different species, and as long as their equipment looks like it is all in the same scale. In the world I live in, and in the animes I watch, it's pretty common for people to have up to a 20% variance in height, and even more than that way out at the ends of the bell-curve.

Haven't received my package, or shipping notice yet, but I'm very happy to know that all the figures aren't pressed into a universal body height. ^,^

June 25th, 2014, 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

If the scale bothers me when I get my models, I'll just have scenic bases of different heights to throw things off.

June 25th, 2014, 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Cat wrote:
In the world I live in, and in the animes I watch, it's pretty common for people to have up to a 20% variance in height, and even more than that way out at the ends of the bell-curve.

This.

Tho really, in anime, characters should have far more variance in size.

It's not at all unreasonable for an old person to be 3' tall, an adult female to be 4'6", and a male bruiser to stand 7'6".

In fact, it's better that way, with the girl sitting comfortably on one of his shoulders as they walk down the street.

June 25th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Denizen

Here's a couple of scale pics. I took the one with Fiametta on the end, and then decided she should be in the middle. You get both! I also just got my Doctrine starter box assembled, so I'll see if I can't get a good scale pic of them up tomorrow evening.

June 26th, 2014, 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Part of it may have been the sculptor finishes cad sculpt, they look at the mold and some of the cross sections are too small or something (I've not done mold design but you don't want to put tiny choke points in front of your injection spots, will lead to lots of miscasts I suspect) and to solve the problem they just said "Scale it up 10%. Hmm, almost. How about another 5%? OK, the machines can do that easy."

June 26th, 2014, 5:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next