View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 7:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Relic Knight RPG... 

Would you be interested in a Relic Knights RPG to accompany the current Miniatures game?
Yes 72%  72%  [ 63 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
Maybe if it does not require additional purchases 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Maybe if it has a Organized Play system so that I can field my character into legal games 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 87

Relic Knight RPG... 
Bottle Cap

@Gotz, Saramin & Serenety:

I agree with all of you completely that the system will have to balance social and combat. If you have read the detailed descriptions for each faction from the rule book or Calamity Comes stories you will see the game is almost more social / skill heavy than it is about combat. Examples of this can be seen in Kisa, Mayla, Anthony, Suicde Queen and even Delphyne's stories where it was more about trying to fit in or use skills to avoid something. Most of them had to learn combat or racing skills later on. Not only that but, there are a lot of examples of characters using esper for social situations as well. The Noh especially to make themselves seem more demonic, fearful and intimidating.

So, yep a social system that allows the use of esper to boost actions and social will be extremely important. As the book says esper is a part of everything and I will need to work hard to create a system that does just that.

June 18th, 2014, 7:13 pm
Profile YIM
Minion

Maybe once they actually wrap up the rulebook, it would be worth looking at the new Mekton. It looks like it's gonna have a good psychic powers system and inherently supports mechanized combat.

June 18th, 2014, 7:22 pm
Mini-Boss

I'm not much of an rpg player but I'd buy a world guide (galaxy guide?).

June 18th, 2014, 9:14 pm
Bottle Cap

I'll wait to get the RK rulebook before starting to make a RPG out of it
I have to understand how the Magic works as well as how the Cybernetic creature work as well

June 18th, 2014, 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

SPM_Deke wrote:

Seems to me that an RK RPG would be heavily esper based, with you accumulating and spending esper to perform awesome feats or even enhancing your social interactions, depending on the esper types.

I've never played a diceless RPG that I can think of... (I know they're out there :) ) would be fun to make one. Could utilize the esper deck or go esper points based. Maybe a combo of both where you spend points and the deck is an environmental randomizer.

Scary how you always seem to read my thoughts Deke. The stories of Relic Knights that you wrote, such as the character backgrounds and Calamity Comes left me feeling the same way. Only way that this RPG could accurately represent Relic Knights is if the game and systems it's self were diceless (incorporating the esper deck) and allowed players to use esper to enhance needed skills. Also, I feel that it would have to take that one step farther. The expenditure / siphoning / holding of esper would have to be simple, quick and easy much like how Knights use esper as if it were as easy as breathing. Last thing the game needs is to be slowed down by the mechanics of esper at its most exciting and climatic moments in or out of battle.

Deke, I would appreciate any feedback that you could offer me in this endeavor and I know that you have plenty more hidden Ninja tricks planned for Relic Knights. That is why I ask that you please message me or comment if something seems out of place or would not work in the game or world of Relic Knights. I am serious about getting this game published and it becoming another weapon of the Ninjas arsenal. I hope that with the game only being a few days old (as backers are getting their copies) and there already being a 70% + desire to see a RPG happen that SPM / Ninja Division would like to see this happen as well. Hopefully, once it is completed you, John, Ross and any of the other Ninja Team would like to set down for a live game to see what you think. I still have the NDA that you sent for the beta testing of Forgotten King and I can have my beta team sign them changing the game mentioned to Relic Knights to keep everything legal and exclusive to SPM / Ninja Division.

June 19th, 2014, 5:10 am
Profile YIM
Bottle Cap

Dais wrote:
I'm not much of an rpg player but I'd buy a world guide (galaxy guide?).

Dais thank you for giving me your input. You are right to say Galaxy guide. I'm not sure if you have read all the lore but, without giving away any spoilers the map would be a single galaxy guide with a number of remaining planets on it.

June 19th, 2014, 5:13 am
Profile YIM
Bottle Cap

A note/observation on diceless systems (especially cards) for RPGs: They can be a bit alienating.
1: This is especially true if the conflict resolution mechanic requires something special, like the Relic Knights deck of cards. Deadlands and Through The Breach get away with it, since they're basically just a standard deck of cards. This would be somewhat important if there were eventually plans to release it for sale, as (pending alternatives) players would have to buy something extra to play.
2: It can also make online play... difficult. :D

June 19th, 2014, 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Once I have more of a handle on the RK setting I'll be using Tenra Bansho Zero as the RPG rules for games in the Calamity 'verse.

http://www.tenra-rpg.com

Rules cover pretty much everything you could want for RK.

June 19th, 2014, 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Minion

I agree with KitsuneSidhe, diceless systems tend to be a bit... off. And with most rpg players already owning plenty of dice it would be more accessible to stick to dice.

I haven't received my stuff yet (tracker says friday!), so I havent gotten to go through the fluff but I think you might need a mechanic that collects esper (markable on the character sheet) which you can spend for Presses on dice rolls. Keeping Presses, and Overcharge, one way or the other in the rpg would be very important in making sure it feels like the miniature game.

June 19th, 2014, 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

To be honest, I've been tinkering around with a custom system of my own which, amusingly, was actually born of the thought: "how can I take Malifaux and Relic Knights Suit/Esper ideas and map them to a dice method? Hmmm". It's still in the pre-work phases though. I might tinker around with using Relic Knights with it for testing purposes/until I get my own setting worked up enough.

June 19th, 2014, 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

I gather no one else has Castle Falkenstein... Which was a card and suit base game.

June 19th, 2014, 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

I'd put in my reccomendation for BESM being used for RK. It's been a while since I looked at my rules though, so I'll have to go back. I don't remember it being d20 based, so it's possible I've been out of the loop for a long-while...

KitsuneSidhe, you get points for referencing Deadlands. While I'll be getting TTB, I was hoping for more than a transition from minis to tabletop. If I ever really want to run a Malifaux RPG I'll used Deadlands: Weird West 2nd Edition.

I has a blog! http://mydnightshobbycorner.blogspot.com/

June 19th, 2014, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Looks like I may need to take down the old poll and put up a new one. I didn't know there were so many gamers out there who were so against diceless RPGs. I have played, GM and beta tested a few diceless RPGs in my time such as Savage worlds, Deadlands, Hellfrost, Runepunk, Golden Sky Stories, Malifaux RPG, Infinity Chain, Low life and Anima (i know Anima is not a diceless system but, it seems like it when you are mostly using charts and doing a lot of math).

I understand where many concerns are coming from with the idea of using a diceless system and I agree that they seem to be alienated by the RPG crowd because of it. But, when I suggested a diceless system that is where Deke chimed in saying that a diceless system maybe the way to go. So, for now I think I will go and create BOTH, a dice and diceless version of the game. From there I will see about pitching both games to Deke and John, get their feedback and move on from there with which ever system SPM / Ninja Division would like for me to continue on with.

I just wanted to write and let you guys / girls know that I am taking you opinions into consideration and hope that you will continue to give me feedback as I post more info on each system.

June 19th, 2014, 4:20 pm
Profile YIM
Bottle Cap

Mydnight wrote:
I'd put in my reccomendation for BESM being used for RK. It's been a while since I looked at my rules though, so I'll have to go back. I don't remember it being d20 based, so it's possible I've been out of the loop for a long-while...

Thank you Mydnight for letting me know that you would like to see a BESM like system as well. I post BESM like because as mentioned before Guardians of the Order have very detailed list of what can and can not be published using their system. It is in the first few pages of the book. So, without getting sued we would have to create a new BESM like system.

June 19th, 2014, 4:25 pm
Profile YIM
Denizen

Fireaspect wrote:
Mydnight wrote:

Thank you Mydnight for letting me know that you would like to see a BESM like system as well. I post BESM like because as mentioned before Guardians of the Order have very detailed list of what can and can not be published using their system. It is in the first few pages of the book. So, without getting sued we would have to create a new BESM like system.

I'll have to check that out. BESM seemed like a good system for running anime-style RPG's with a little tweaking to fit the setting/genre you're in. Shame we can't just write our own add-on to that :D

I has a blog! http://mydnightshobbycorner.blogspot.com/

June 19th, 2014, 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Fireaspect wrote:
Looks like I may need to take down the old poll and put up a new one. I didn't know there were so many gamers out there who were so against diceless RPGs.

What is funny is that I am seriously considering converting RK over to a 40k-like d6 Igo-Ugo game, because that's what we already know how to play. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Pamphlet Codices for each of the factions, and call it a day.

June 19th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Denizen

I think to keep the feel of RK though you need to be diceless that is why I got into the game after all.

June 19th, 2014, 10:48 pm
Denizen

I could see it revolving around the esper deck just like the tabletop game, though much more involved. Different weapons could have color specific actions and presses, your character could take abilities and skills which either give bonuses or access to things like guards, armor, dodging.

I don't think dice are required, as long as there's something to make luck and skill coincide when decisions are made (in dread you use a jenja tower of all things and it's a blast!).

June 19th, 2014, 11:07 pm
Consul

@Pride - a lot of the point of such a conversion is to genericize the gameplay, similar to what OGL did for D&D.

Use a basic, generic engine, and minimally flavor it for the genre and factions for faster, smoother play.

June 19th, 2014, 11:14 pm
Denizen

GrauGeist wrote:
@Pride - a lot of the point of such a conversion is to genericize the gameplay, similar to what OGL did for D&D.

Use a basic, generic engine, and minimally flavor it for the genre and factions for faster, smoother play.

But if I wanted a generic game then I would play D&D or Path Finder orany of the other Generic rpgs out there......I want a RK rpg.

June 19th, 2014, 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next