View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2017, 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Relic Knight RPG... 

Would you be interested in a Relic Knights RPG to accompany the current Miniatures game?
Yes 72%  72%  [ 63 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
Maybe if it does not require additional purchases 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Maybe if it has a Organized Play system so that I can field my character into legal games 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 87

Relic Knight RPG... 
Bottle Cap

I know that I am jumping the gun very early on this but, I just finished reading the Relic Knight Rule Book and this universe is so much deeper in plot than I imagined. It really does seem like a huge waste to have such a wonderful story, so deep with emotion to incompass single battles at a table. Single wars that will quickly just rack up to another day at the table. This world is to deep to not have heroes that become knights and quest for their Relics and at the end participate in battle of the cosmos.

That is why I am taking it upon myself to start writing up a rule set that can be used to incorporate the world of Relic Knights. I will be sure to make it is a rule set that can allow players to interact both as fans of RPGs and Miniatures.

As for looking at it from the business aspect I think this is a great idea. It will help to bring in a crowd that SPM has not tapped yet. It will help boost word of mouth about the current Relic Knights game. And, it will give those who play both games a reason to buy more into Relic Knights minatures merchandise. A good example is I bought the factions I liked such as Doctrine and Cerci. Now, I'm excitedly thinking of perchacing Noh and Corsair so that I can have some enemies on the table for my heroes to fight.

Overall, I am excited to get started on this concept and I will pitch it to SPM as soon as I work out the system and have Beta tested it. If you have any questions, comments, concerns or would love to help me throw some great ideas out there, please post below. I will try to reply and answer them to the best of my ability, as everything is currently in the springboard phase.

June 17th, 2014, 11:48 pm
Profile YIM
Ninja Corps

Maybe now that Ninja Division is a thing, they could publish a variant of the Anima RPG ruleset?

June 18th, 2014, 12:08 am
Ninja Corps

It sounds like you're proposing an Iron Kingdoms type thing for Relic Knights. I'm on board with that idea. Though, making an RPG isn't an easy endeavor. You could probably crank one out that had a very limited scope within the Relic Knight universe...but that's no fun.

If one came out though I would definitely be interested, and would buy it based on the actual execution of the idea.

June 18th, 2014, 12:19 am
Denizen

I'm a big fan of the universe in general, so I'd badger my friends to play it too ^~^.

June 18th, 2014, 12:42 am
Bottle Cap

fanguad wrote:
Maybe now that Ninja Division is a thing, they could publish a variant of the Anima RPG ruleset?

If I'm not mistaken Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG is owned and released by Fantasy Flight Games. Ninja Division / Cipher Studios are only part of the Anima: Tactics team. Two different games in the eyes of the companies. And, I believe that Ninja Division only has rights to the sculpts that they create for Anima: Tactics and no other part of it.

June 18th, 2014, 1:45 am
Profile YIM
Bottle Cap

Usagi wrote:
It sounds like you're proposing an Iron Kingdoms type thing for Relic Knights. I'm on board with that idea. Though, making an RPG isn't an easy endeavor. You could probably crank one out that had a very limited scope within the Relic Knight universe...but that's no fun.

If one came out though I would definitely be interested, and would buy it based on the actual execution of the idea.

Usagi you hit the nail on the head. As a long time player of both Warmachine and Iron Kingdoms I went into this idea keeping both those games in mind. As for writing a RPG I know how much goes into it, I am work as a freelance writer for Anima: Beyond Fantasy and have had helped with the Beta testing for Golden Sky Stories and Rogue Trader.

Thank you though for commenting about the game sounding like Iron Kingdoms. It was what I was aiming for but, didn't want to come out directly and say it for those who are not a fan of it.

June 18th, 2014, 1:53 am
Profile YIM
Bottle Cap

Actually, Fireaspect, Anima is owned by Anima Studios (and Edge Entertainment, maybe?). FFG has the rights to translate and release the RPG though and the card game, so the effect is ultimately the same.

As for an RK RPG, I was tinkering around with working on it as well. :D Once I get the chance to read the background fluff anyway.

One thing I'd warn though, do NOT plan on just copying over Miniature rules or making things too similar. That is a dark path, a bad path, and one that does not make a good RPG. Using the Minis mechanics as a base and for inspiration is good, just don't hold them as immutable laws.

Case in point: Through the Breach, the Malifaux RPG? It holds too close to the Malifaux Miniatures system in places, and for all of its touted "Narrative RPG" the game has aspects that make sense for Miniature balance, but don't for an RPG. Biggest example being that you cannot use a ranged weapon/ranged-type power in melee combat at all unless you have a specific Talent (Feat), and even then it doesn't allow you to shoot out of melee, just use it like a melee weapon. This is alright for a minis game, where it'd be a balancing factor in competitive play, but for an RPG you're outright denying an action to the players. Sure, it should be penalized, but it should be possible. Including shooting out of melee (think someone pulling a heroic sacrifice, ignoring their own defense to save a comrade being attacked).

I do need to check out Iron Kingdoms sometime. I never got into Warmahordes as a minis game, but the setting was intriguing, I've heard it holds really close to the minis system though. Does it?

June 18th, 2014, 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

KitsuneSidhe wrote:

Case in point: Through the Breach, the Malifaux RPG? It holds too close to the Malifaux Miniatures system in places, and for all of its touted "Narrative RPG" the game has aspects that make sense for Miniature balance, but don't for an RPG. Biggest example being that you cannot use a ranged weapon/ranged-type power in melee combat at all unless you have a specific Talent (Feat), and even then it doesn't allow you to shoot out of melee, just use it like a melee weapon. This is alright for a minis game, where it'd be a balancing factor in competitive play, but for an RPG you're outright denying an action to the players. Sure, it should be penalized, but it should be possible. Including shooting out of melee (think someone pulling a heroic sacrifice, ignoring their own defense to save a comrade being attacked).

I do need to check out Iron Kingdoms sometime. I never got into Warmahordes as a minis game, but the setting was intriguing, I've heard it holds really close to the minis system though. Does it?

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to copy a lot of this down when I go to create the system and possibly feats / merits / flaws. We will for sure need to come up with a good balance system. I agree with you that Through the Breach was not exactly a good translation of Malifaux. I have been playing Malifaux for a few years now and am a fan of Colette / dancers and hired swords crews.

You asked about Warmahordes (lol a way I can tell your at least familiar with it) and Iron Kingdoms is a great example of how to place a RPG into a miniatures game. It uses the exact D6 system that Warmachine uses. But, if you try to incorporate your RPG character into it you will find that they are massively over powered compared to most Warmachine heroes. It is because of the Iron Kingdom characters leveling up (kind of) and getting to select two job classes. But, overall, it is a awesome game that my gaming group / beta team and I love to play.

June 18th, 2014, 4:39 am
Profile YIM
Bottle Cap

I play Lilith primarily, with Colette and Tara as well. :) Though I'm getting into Pandora, Collodi and some other Crews as well as off-shots. I'm quite fond of Malifaux, so TTB was a bit of a painful disappointment... Oh well, that's what rewriting it is for. :D

Yep, I'm familiar with Warmahordes. Really, other than a couple of rules (caster kill) I'm not really against it. My main issue came from when I was trying to learn the game, everyone in my area was of the "ultracompetitive" (and then some other words) variety, which soured my interest... Still, the Convergence models look amazing.

Huh, neat. I'll have to give it a look sometime. Like I said, the setting interests me (Mmmm, Druids and... Art Deco Cyborg Druids).

And on topic, if you need any help working on RK RPG rules, let me know. :) I'd be glad to help.

June 18th, 2014, 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Minion

have you looked at BESM? (Big eyes small mouth) Its a anime role playing game that incorporates any genre. You could just use it and make it about relic knights. its not a bad system from what I've heard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eyes,_Small_Mouth

June 18th, 2014, 5:15 am
Bottle Cap

rayphoton wrote:
have you looked at BESM? (Big eyes small mouth) Its a anime role playing game that incorporates any genre. You could just use it and make it about relic knights. its not a bad system from what I've heard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eyes,_Small_Mouth

Good suggestion Rayphoton. I own B.E.S.M. 2nd edition and it is a good game in it's own right but, the problem I have is the D20 system. I have been playing D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder for a number of years now. And, am even a 3 star Pathfinder Society GM. I want to try to do something different here though.

You can incorporate the D20 system into about anything but, then you have to reconfigure your entire system into it. So, what I am trying to do here is create a RPG that works with the miniatures game not, shove a miniatures game into a predefined rule set and heavy RPG system with its own legal copyright laws. There are strict guidelines according to the Open Source rules and laws of the D20 system of what can and can't be used. It's crazy there is 3 whole pages at the front of the B.E.S.M. book that goes into legal law use of the Open Source D20 rules and systems.

My goal here is to create something that we can pitch to Sodapop that they can then publish as their own (with all of us marked as it's writers and creators) (giving credit, and rights where due) without having to copy another games system or get legal use to publish or print it. Or have to sell rights to another company that owns that system so that they can legally publish it under their name and their system. Much, like the point of Soda Pop Miniatures branching away from CMON so they could create, publish and distribute their titles under their own name.

June 18th, 2014, 5:29 am
Profile YIM
Minion

maybe look a the non d20 version of besm. Third edition. It's out of print and the book is impossible to get but there are pdfs of it out there. As it isout of print then it could be heavily relied on without the violation of copyright rules (I think)
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/2 ... ition?it=1

Or...gurps.

I only bring up alternatives cause I had a few friends try to make a cohesive rpg sytem and its so time consuming to get it all right and playable. SPM might have too much on their plate.

Still I look forward to seeing what you come up with

huge fan of pathfinder btw...but....WTH is a 3 star pathfinder GM?

June 18th, 2014, 7:38 am
Bottle Cap

I would like there to be an Rpg very much so long as it strikes a balance between the Social and Combat.....
Some games focus to much on the combat (Ikrpg)

I think been thinking that maybe a Fate based system it focuses mostly on story driven mechanics and what drives the characters motivations (and I think maybe be the best because of it), WarH40K RPG like system, WoD like or finally an Ages Past like one

I don't like the Anima Rpg systems there is just to many rules
Savage World maybe be too rules lite for it as well

June 18th, 2014, 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I don't know if it is really too rules lite as you can add all sorts of setting rules ... loot as Interface Zero (most specifically version 2) as an example of this.

June 18th, 2014, 12:02 pm
Ninja Corps

Well, if this is ever done, one should use a diceless ruleset like for the Miniatures game.

June 18th, 2014, 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I'd love to play a game set in the RK universe. Now if only I could get an RPG group together that could meet on a regular basis.

June 18th, 2014, 12:20 pm
Denizen

I would love to play an RPG based in the RK universe.

June 18th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Ninja Corps

Cromusz wrote:
I'd love to play a game set in the RK universe. Now if only I could get an RPG group together that could meet on a regular basis.

Probably could, but we'd have to be willing to go to the store more.

June 18th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Employee

My RPG group uses google hangouts, obsidian portal, and roll20 these days. Not quite as awesome as meeting together at someone's house but handy for busy life schedules and unfortunate cross-country divides.

Seems to me that an RK RPG would be heavily esper based, with you accumulating and spending esper to perform awesome feats or even enhancing your social interactions, depending on the esper types.

I've never played a diceless RPG that I can think of... (I know they're out there :) ) would be fun to make one. Could utilize the esper deck or go esper points based. Maybe a combo of both where you spend points and the deck is an environmental randomizer.

June 18th, 2014, 4:35 pm
Bottle Cap

rayphomay wrote:

I only bring up alternatives cause I had a few friends try to make a cohesive rpg sytem and its so time consuming to get it all right and playable. SPM might have too much on their plate.

huge fan of pathfinder btw...but....WTH is a 3 star pathfinder GM?

I do appreciate the ideas. And I am looking at all possibilities and I will have to look up BESM 3rd ed. Because my gaming group are fans of 2.0.

As far as the Pathfinder 3 star comment. Have you ever noticed the stars next to peoples names in the Paizo forums? You earn those by hosting Pathfinder Society games. I've hosted enough games to earn 3 stars. 3 stars are almost 100+ games for gaming groups, shops and conventions.

June 18th, 2014, 7:02 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next