View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 28th, 2017, 1:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Q&A from the "RK Shipping Info (now Q&A with Deke)" Thread 
Moderator Ninja

Some of this is dated, some of it isn't but I thought everyone might appreciate having the Q&A portions extracted from now 70+ pages thread.

The posts in this thread are straight C&Ps from Deke's in this thread.

April 26th, 2014, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
Hello Everyone,

SPM_Ross has found me in my little development dungeon (Oh, the dungeons!) and using promises of shiny objects guided me to this thread.

Just on a base level I understand your frustration. Believe me, we share them as well. We have put an incredible amount of time, love, and coin into Relic Knights and every setback stings us every bit as badly as it does you.

I just spent a good chunk of time reading through the entire thread. You all have brought up a LOT of points. So many that I think it would be almost impossible for me to try to dig through all of them after the fact and give them the air they deserve. Instead I'm going to take the conversation forward in the form of a Question and Answer forum. Basically, shoot me your questions in this forum. I will continue to visit it every work day (M-F) until the launch of Relic Knights.

Know going in that sometime we (SPM) just don't have the answers, as we do not control all the moving pieces. However, I will answer every question I can with whatever details I can. I also won't engage with rants or accusations, even if they contain valid points. If you can't present your question politely and productively then the discussion devolves and is helpful to noone.

If I miss your question I'm not ignoring you. First check and see if your question has been answered somewhere else or if your tone was combative. If it has not or was not just restate the question. I'll be hitting these daily but I'm not spending all day on the boards. There's just too much stuff that must be done.

This Kickstarter has been immense for us. While there are things out of our hands, there are other things that were certainly within our control that we could have done better with. We're constantly learning, experimenting, and improving. In the end, we're all here because we share a love for toy soldiers, awesome anime, and a little thing called Relic Knights.

April 26th, 2014, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/3/2013 *****
Question:
Can we see a picture of how the minis are packaged?

Answer:
I will check with CMON to see if we can get some pictures of that.

Question:
About how many models are built for the general release and not the Kickstarter. We know of a couple (Mamaro-To, Sophia Drake, Asger Faust, Jeanne Romme, a couple extras)? Will Black Diamond get their uniques that way?

Answer:
Every faction has a handful of nonKickstarter models. Off the top of my head its about 2-3 per faction.

Question:
What non-kickstarter model was the most exciting for you to design? Was it conceptual or mechanical?

Answer:
Mamaro-To. I love Mamaro-To. Writing his fiction and rules was a pure joy. He's not a Knight but is the Grand Warlord of Dragon Fleet To, so he wields considerable power. He also has no small amount of animosity towards Kasaro-To for his exalted position in the Dragon Fleets. In the fiction Mamaro-To is just brutal. To top it off our Creative Director, John Cadice, brought him to life in the art and sculpt in an exceptional manner. He had our artists and sculptors create a Noh unique that is just breathtaking.

Question:
For the main book, about how much of it is "crunch" and how much is "fluff"?

Answer:
It is a 272 page book. Approximately 50 pages of it is pure game rules. The main storyline is approx 50 pages. There is a 16 page universe primer. Then each faction has about 10-12 pages of faction history, plus 10-12 pages of unit rules and unit fiction. I'm sure my math is messed up in there with all the approximates. Lets just say there is a lot of stuff. :)

Question:
What is the pricing structure for the starter sets post-kickstarter? Is it still going to be about $50, or will it be more?

Answer:
I will need to check on this one in the morning.

Question:
If you were to play only one faction for a long time, what it would be and why?

Answer:
Noh and Shattered Sword. I will never be able to decide between them. I have always had a love for monsters. The Noh was our opportunity to design an entire monstrous race that was truly savage without being dumb brutes. With their own harsh warrior code dictated by their god, Nozuki, they are fierce, brutal, and cunning. I love Shattered Sword because in many ways they are the mirror opposites of the Noh. Shattered Sword avoids the self-righteous, goody-two-shoes, paladin cliche. Truly honorable and given to self sacrifice in the pursuit of the defense of others. They have kept the universe safe for millennia and even in the face of the Darkspace Calamity they struggle for the preservation of life above all things. (I know, I cheated with two!)

Question:
What do you think Relic Knights fans have to look forward to in the future? More Questing Knights, Relic Knights, Uniques, Squads, or something a lot crazier? Warmachine Style Epic Models (especially with a Questing Knights getting Relics)? Or is this far too early to think about?

Answer:
Too early to tip our hand just yet. We have some dreams though....

Question:
Is there a difference (fluff-wise) between the power of different factions? I'd imagine Cerci is weaker being basically a racing team whereas Noh is an entire empire.

Answer:
Short answer is yes. Cerci Prime, even though it is an entire planet, would stand no chance against the combined might of the Noh Empire (or even the Star Nebula Corsairs if you could actually manage to point them all in the same direction). However, what is important are the Knights. They are the champions chosen by Esper, and ultimately it will be they who decide the fate of the Last Galaxy.

Question:
Will there be short stories showing the different characters in the books? I know many games do this, and I love seeing my favorite characters in action.

Answer:
One of the big challenges (and goals) for me was trying to get as many characters represented in the fiction as I could. There are a lot of characters! Many see at least some action. For those who don't or those who see only brief "screen time" rest assured they are taking part in events and we'll provide you with glimpse of their stories as the universe unfolds.

Question:
Why does SPM/CMON always wait until the last possible second to announce the delay even though it should have been clear weeks/months beforehand?

Answer:
Sadly, it's never so cut and dried as that. Sometimes, things that cause a delay will literally come up when they do a test just before production. In those cases we have pretty much no knowledge or warning. Other times, there may be a worry that this or that item may not work right, but it appears it can be corrected without affecting timelines only to find out later that wasn't the case and BAM! delay. In those cases we're working as hard as we can to try to keep any issues from becoming a delay right until the bitter end. When we have something definite we let you know. Unfortunately, that can lead to notices that appear near deadlines.

Question:
Who do I have to kill or what horrid act must I perform in order to get a Sophia figure? Want me to dress up as Harker and shill at local cons...I will. Heck I'd build a dang Diamondback suit if it would help.

Answer:
She's pretty early in the planned release cycle. You won't need to wait long to have her leading your Black Dragons into combat. Not surprisingly we are pro cosplay. A Harker outfit would be stellar. Diamondback....whoa....

Question:
Do you think that all of these delays have severely negatively impacted RK? Or do you think that the game will bounce back?

Answer:
We are not blind to the criticisms. Sometimes the internet can feel like an endless tunnel of dooooom, yet the excitement and enthusiasm we hear from fans remains overwhelmingly positive. People are ready for Relic Knights. Your passion in wanting it to "be here now" is a testament to your desire for it. It's easy to become discouraged by the delays, we understand. No one wants this more than us. We are all vested in it. Ultimately, everyone who backed the project wants it to succeed. (If they don't we have to wonder why they backed it at all!) Soda Pop will continue to keep our heads down and work through every obstruction that may come our way to make sure all of you have a game that alive and vibrant. We are committed to that. We have many plans in the works such as organized play, conventions, hobby events, and retailer support to make sure Relic Knights leaps off the starting line faster than a Hell's Belles racer. We have put a lot of heart into Relic Knights. We are confident that will shine through in every piece of art, word of fiction, and painted model.

Question:
Are you planning on having Organized play at Adepticon? If not there then what Con will debut Organized play for RK?

Answer:
We have contacted Adepticon and are hoping to run events there. We are still solidifying our con schedule for next year, but we plan on being at as many events as we can. We are also working to make sure we can provide assistance for volunteers who want to run events at cons that we can't attend ourselves. We will begin releasing specifics as events approach.

Question:
While Calico Kate doesn't always drink soda, what does she drink when she does?

Answer:
Well, she's a pirate so Grog and her favorite—Iron Chef's own special recipe for Bumbo. (It's said it can be used as an explosive that will blast through a corvette class hull with a single barrel.)

Question:
Are you in any position to make an educated guess at when shipping will start?

Answer:
Not really since we're not in control of that aspect. There was an issue with the token and base topper molds. Obviously the base topper molds are important for Kickstarter fulfillment, but the tokens are a key component of the Starter Boxes which are both Kickstarter and Retail items. Starters are a significant chunk of what people purchased. Which makes the tokens a small but surprisingly critical element and something we can't just slide on. China is working on the issue. Our understanding is that it will be a fairly fast turn around. Once we are given a specific date that CMON okays we will relay it to you.

Question:
How much sugar is needed to turn a knight into a soda pop?

Answer:
Really it depends on the type of sugar and who it is from. ;)

Question:
How long after KS release are you expecting general release?

Answer:
Hopefully only about a month. However, shipping is going to be a huge undertaking for CMON and we need to make sure all the backers get their product first. Afterwards, we will work with CMON on establishing an official retail launch window.

Question:
Will the KS stuff be officially released across a single wave or multiple waves?

Answer:
Backers will get their rewards in a single wave. Retail release will be in multiple waves so we don't overwhelm retailers with a massive product launch. Backers really are getting an entire, fully formed, miniature game all in one fell swoop!

Question:
How long until the first wave with non-KS product?

Answer:
Most of the initial retail waves will feature Kickstarter product. However, we're working on mixing in nonKickstarter models into the mix to give you backers new things to be looking forward to as well.

Question:
Are the figures show in the video posted in the 96th update the finalized versions of the miniatures?

Answer:
These were test production shots and are NOT the final models. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

April 26th, 2014, 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/4/2013 *****

Question:
At what point value do you think Relic Knights is best at? Most games can be run at many point values, but is there an ideal for competitive play?

Answer:
Probably due to my own love for Warhammer Fantasy (We play other games too!) I am a total sucker for huge armies. So I like high point values. However, I think most people will find 35 and 50 point battles their favorite. They are super fast to play and allow a lot of rounds to be played in an event. Which we are fans of.

Question:
In the Rulebook we have currently, there are multiple Traits that don't currently have models. What are your plans for making models for those traits? Are these going to be in the main rulebook, or future expansions? I especially like the sound of Castellan, a mecha for the Paladins.

Answer:
When the full book comes out all the traits should have a model with them. Some are future proofing for things we want down the road. Since traits largely have no game effect other than classifying a unit, they are a great way for us to give you a glimpse of the inner organization of the factions.

Question:
Are both Austrican the Ogre and Kisa really the same race?

Answer:
They are indeed! Tonnerian’s were one of the founding races of the United Planetary Alliance and The Six Peers.

Question:
Will there be any special promotions for retailers to take advantage of early on in the product release? If so, is there any information on them, currently?

Answer:
We are currently working on that with CMON. As our publishers they will handle distribution in to retail and we will help support them with things such as organized play and marketing materials.

Question:
Since you have no "no store employees allowed" policy for your "civilian" game reps. What is a store supposed to do if the only person that wants to be one also works at that, or another, store in the area?

Answer:
I’m assuming you’re referring to CMON’s Legion program. They handle all aspects of that. We will be rolling out our own Volunteer program next year and will provide details when that happens. As to your specific concern I will kick it to Ross our Community Manager to make sure we have that situation accounted for in our plan.

Question:
Do you foresee any balance concerns with the Void/Prismatic armies? Access to multiple faction's uniques allows for a lot of strange combos.

Answer:
They do indeed create some interesting armies, and will always fulfill a niche role designed for thematic play. We try hard to keep things fun to play and balanced on the field, but since this is a first edition are under no illusions that in the wild all of you will find situations that we and our playtesters never even dreamed of. We will do our best to keep an up-to-date errata and FAQ, as well as tournament formats to cater to players of all styles.

Question:
When Myth wanted to ship their kickstarter early their accountant told them any stock they had on hand in December that they hadn't gotten shipped out by January would get a ridiculous tax added to it; since you have nothing on hand I don't think you would get hit with this, but does CMoN run the risk of incurring these tax charges and passing them along to SPM?

Answer:
I’m not familiar with Myth’s tax situation. Such things are handled by our financial officers internally.

Question:
How often does SPM communicate with CMoN, and how?

Answer:
Since they are our publishers we are in constant communication with them, primarily through e-mail and Skype. Depending on what is going on that can be weekly to constantly throughout the day. In general though they have their duties and we have ours and we rely on each other to do our jobs.

Question:
Will SPM continue the relationship with CMoN into the retail release and beyond as your publisher?

Answer:
Yes. CMON will be the publisher for Relic Knights.

Question:
Do you anticipate there being any changes in communication upon the successful Kickstarter distribution and retail release?

Answer:
Once Kickstarter has been distributed and Relic Knights is in retail communication will change. Right now we are focused on just getting the game out and most communication revolves around that (as this massive Q&A attests). When Relic Knights is out communication will be about the Hobby, Events, Organized Play, etc. All the fun stuff we can do with our toys!

Question:
How large is your full-time staff at SPM? Part-time, and in what respect? Do you see that changing in the near future?

Answer:
Soda Pop is owned by John, Chris, and myself. As of the middle of this year we were finally able to all go full time and are extremely fortunate to have the opportunity for that. Behind us we have a small army of talented and dedicated freelance and contract artists, designers, etc without whom we could not do what we do. As far as expanding, we are always looking to push beyond our boundaries and grow as the opportunity presents itself.

Question:
What has been the most important lesson you've learned from Kickstarting Relic Knights so far?

Answer:
Don’t get swept up in the excitement and grow the project too big and too fast. Make sure the project is as close to done as you financially can make it before even going to Kickstarter. We are not the only game studio who has learned that post kickstarter can have many hurdles to cross. You want to be prepared as possible before even beginning.

Question:
What exactly was the issue that nobody caught on the tokens and base inserts until right at shipping time? Misshapen in some way? Is the current mold just being repaired or is another one having to be done from scratch?

Answer:
CMON overseas the manufacturing, so we are limited on specifics. When China went to production they discovered an issue that required a new mold to be finished this month.

Question:
My first question is, would you guys be willing to put of the pdfs of the full rules book? I'm speaking for myself here but I think it would a long way to regenerating hype for the game.

Answer:
The full rules for the game and cards for the Kickstarter models are already available for download on our Media Page

Question:
In that same line of thought, would you guy be willing to run another sample game for the community? The game has come a long way since the last time you guys made game play videos.

Answer:
As soon as we have our models we will absolutely do battle reports. We’re also looking forward to seeing yours.

Question:
What exactly is the relationship between SPM and CMoN in regards to Relic Knight? At times, it has seemed neither is willing to provide a full explanation, and blamed the other (forgive me, but even some of your answers reference CMoN as the 'keepers of the key). Why is this?

Answer:
We understand that the relationship has been a bit confusing. The publisher/design studio relationship, while common in video games and books publishing, is pretty new in tabletop games and as one of the first studios CMON signed we’ve both grown and learned as we’ve progressed. Let me see if I can shed a bit of clarity.

Soda Pop Miniatures is the design studio. It is our responsibility to make a game, including all of the art, sculpts, print files, etc and deliver it to CMON. It is also our responsibility to foster a community and make sure our customer base is excited to buy the product. CMON is the publisher. Once they have a finished product from us it is their responsibility implement and manage manufacturing, warehouse the product, then promote and sell it to distributors, retailers, and their community.

Question:
With all the troubles, why has SPM pulled away from the comments section of KS, and to a small extent, the entire Relic Knight KS? Is it the animosity some of us (yes, I am a backer, and a vocal one) have shown?

Answer:
CMON had their people looking after the Kickstarter. Nonetheless we should have used our own channels such as facebook and our website to keep in better contact with you. Something we are working hard to rectify. We have also requested access and will be engaging personally through the Kickstarter from now on. This however will remain my (Deke’s) definitive Q&A thread. Ross will be our main man on the Kickstarter front from here out.

Question:
As it has, in the past, been a matter of debate in the comments section of the KS, if some of the non-KS miniatures had been omitted during the process (mamaro-to and the Noh Dragon come to mind), would the KS be fulfilled at this time? Were these models planned from the start or part of the 'after-party' as it were?

Answer:
These models were planned from the start and did not affect the development time in any significant way. Their sculpts were simply done earlier and thus it was actually more efficient to have them become absorbed into the process. The time of the Kickstarter has taken has entirely been a matter of scope of the project. Your overwhelming support almost doubled our line up of models. Which absolutely blew up the previous time projections we had. We have almost 80 SKUs and are doing an absolutely massive print run. Even a company the size of GW doesn’t release 80 brand new SKUs all at once. In hindsight, if we did the Kickstarter again it would be a smaller one that we could deliver faster, and then open up the ability do another one to get you the additional content.

Question:
When the six-month delay was announced, there was mention of a .pdf art book being emailed to backers. Is there a timeframe for its release? I'm a sucker for artbooks.

Answer:
I am too! In fact I’ve been going through the art book today. It’s just about done and will be sent out to you all this month.

Question:
Can you give us some more detailed pictures of the final production models, the 360 video was way too blurry and spinned too fast to see the details. Maybe a group shot of each faction.

Answer:
Soda Pop doesn't have final models in hand yet either, and China still has our masters. We're waiting just like you! We'll contact CMON and see if they can provide more pictures of the complete models. Once they're in our hands though we will have pictures up as fast as we can take them.

Question:
Chinese new year is coming up and can shift production up to 2 months back; is this also affecting the RK models or are they produced before the new year?

Answer:
Our understanding is that everything will wrapped up before Chinese New Year even becomes a consideration.

Question:
Is there any possibility of you guys having a presence at any shows in the UK?

Answer:
We are working on logistics to try to get to Salute next year. Hopefully we can make that happen.

Question:
Will there be a set release schedule for the future models after the KS has been shipped (ie 1 model a month or 1 model for each faction every 2 months) - I must have the Dagon for Noh.

Answer:
Yes there will be a set release schedule. We'll provide more details regarding it once we hit retail.

Question:
My question is if the story will have a progression to it. For example, will questing knights eventually become relic knights?

Answer:
The plan is for the story to move forward as your Knights battle for the fate of the Last Galaxy. Those Questing Knights who prove themselves worthy of a Relic to their cyphers may indeed become Relic Knights.

Question:
I pledged for an Anime Battle Board on the Games & Gears Kickstarter. Can you describe how the base inserts look like? Do they fit with the board?

Answer:
Glad to hear it! We enjoyed the opportunity to design a board for them. We think it turned out really sharp. We can't wait to paint some of our own. While we did not design the base inserts and Anime Battle Board to be identical, they do both share a strong sci-fi/tech element that we felt worked well for any model from the Relic Knights line. With matching colors the two will blend well, if not match identically.

Shameless Plug: We designed the Anime Wars Board (Sci-fi tech decking) for Gears & Gears Kickstarter.

Question:
The 6 month delay popped up in the last 3 weeks before shipping was supposed to start?

Answer:
This was a case of us finding out there was a chance of a delay and working towards trying prevent it until the bitter end (as explained in my answer below). In that case an argument can be made (and has been by many on the internet) that if we knew a delay was even remotely possible we should have notified the backers immediately. At the time we did not know how long the delay would be and felt that people would prefer an update with a more concrete timeframe. So we waited until we had notification of a timeframe from China. This made it so the update came closer to the estimated ship month than some people would have liked. We could probably debate endlessly if that was the right call. At this point the decision has been made and those who felt we should have announced earlier, even without a timeframe, have made themselves well heard. Our job is to move forward and make sure Relic Knights gets in your hands.

Question:
I was wondering if CMON has been considering adding someone in the "community manager" role?

Answer:
That's really a question for CMON. On our end Soda Pop has hired Ross Thompson as our community manager. (Waves at SPM_Ross.) He has been diligently answering your facebook questions and e-mails to info@sodapopminiatures.com. He's also who pointed me towards this thread. ;) He has lots of great community events he's planning for us as Relic Knights progresses. Give Ross your love and he'll make sure you're taken care of. :D

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/5/2013 *****
Question:
What are the plans for how current and future models are posed? Will you be creating more "adult themed" poses? If so, will there be an alternate sculpt that would be more appropriate for children? Much like what was done with One Shot. Any insight into your plans for the artwork in the rulebooks and cards regarding this concern would be greatly appreciated as well.

Answer:
What you’ve already seen of the Relic Knights universe is representative of how the product will continue (art and sculpts). There are more than enough super serious soldier games out there, and we have our factions that fit in that mold well. Our entire Relic Knights line is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, loud, and a bit zany. Just like the anime and manga we love.

Question:
Aside from the obvious consumer-business relationship (and the Kickstarter), how involved do you want the community to be in your company? In what ways can we spread sugary soda goodness aside normal expectations.

Answer:
Once it’s in your hands, just play the game! If you love it have your friends play it, convince your retailers to stock it, come meet us at a convention and dork out with us over the models. We will provide Organized Play and Volunteer materials next year to help. Ultimately, we just want you to join us in experiencing Relic Knights.

Question:
I realized no one has mentioned the SDE minis. Any chance we could have a teensy peek at their stats?

Answer:
I think I can probably arrange that. I’ll talk to Ross about scheduling previews.

Question:
For terrain, are there any specific terrain you suggest for Relic Knights?

Answer:
Vertical Terrain. Most people’s collections tend to be very flat. This is because many games emphasize cover and maximum ranges on their weapons. They also don’t handle vertical movement very quickly. Relic Knights dumps that on its head. Everything moves fast Cerci moves faster. Models can get around cover quickly. Most the time they don’t even need to get around it since they can just move directly over terrain equal in size. This combined with no ranges means if you want to protect models you need to block line of sight. That means tall terrain.

Question:
What challenges arose from balancing each faction against one another? Did you notice any bad match-ups (like Cerci beating Shattered Sword by Scenario all the time, or Black Diamond blowing away the Noh before they can do much etc.)? What did you do to rectify it.

Answer:
This could be a whole article on its own. (/Adds to list of future web content.) In short, balance is always tough in games like this since every model does different things. We try to address it in a few ways. First we kept costs for actions and presses fairly equivalent across factions instead of within them. This makes it so that most of the time everyone’s units are paying the same cost for a press for an extra 2 damage. This makes it so we can concentrate more fully on the elements that are different and narrows the variables. Second, is scenarios. We really like our scenario system with multiple ways every game to achieve victory. This makes it so even if you get a bad draw for scenario you have alternate ways to try to win. You can also try to prevent your opponent from achieving theirs. You have a lot of options when playing each game. Last, the game is fast and deadly. If a game doesn’t go your way due to fickle fate, rack up and play again. Odds are you have time for another game.

Question:
There were a lot of rules discussions on the forums a little while back. How much of that was taken as input, and how much was based on internal playtesting?

Answer:
We took tons of it as input. When we first designed Relic Knights we didn’t have, well, you—our sea of Kickstarter backers. Your feedback was exceptional. So exceptional, in fact, that we roped several of you into helping us do final edits and revisions on the book. The result is a game that we are very proud of, and that you had direct influence in shaping.

Question:
What was your favorite Relic Knight (or questing knight) to design (looks or mechanics or both)? Which is your favorite to play with?

Answer:
If limited to Knights that’s easy. Sebastian Cross. He is immovable. Nigh unkillable, much to opponents’ chagrin. He also just looks dead hard. Massive armor, the Shattered Sword, his mace Benediction, and in the center he controls it all with a calm and peace as if in prayer. Just gonna geek out for a minute….

Question:
I think the lack of range requirements (only LOS) is a very interesting decision. It makes the game very fast, but require careful terrain choice. What factors went into this choice?

Answer:
Our guns work. We figured this was super science-fantasy and on the size tables we play on ranges for a gun just didn’t make much sense within the universe. On the balance side our models move really fast, making artificial ranges pretty meaningless even if they existed. Imagine Malya with an 8” range glaive blast. She could still tag you anywhere on the table thanks to her speed. Plus, it removes an extra measuring step, which speeds things up a touch.

Question:
Has there been any changes to the kickstarter models from the current cards? I know there were some small concerns (Piercing 1 for 2 esper is much weaker than 2 damage for 2 esper, the Black Diamond Corps are statistically weaker than Swordsworn and Corsairs etc.).

Answer:
To some degree yes. We corrected a few errors. The Diamond Corps got a point reduction to 3(+1). Stuff like that.

Question:
Are there going to be more female Noh? You say you don't want them to be all big and dumb but from everything we have seen most of the faction is a bunch of big buff guys.

Answer:
Short answer yes. As a caveat male Noh may be big but they are in no way dumb. They are one of the most successful spacefaring races in the universe. That come from no small amount of intelligence.

Question:
What are going to be the rules about conversions for tournament play?

Answer:
Do them! We love conversions. None of our models have weapon dependant rules so as long as you have the right base size and the model is clearly what it represents, the sky is the limit.

Question:
Will there be translated rules for Relic Knights (f. e. in German) like the SDE in near future?

Answer:
English only right now. We are working on securing European localization eventually. We’ll let you know when any details emerge.

Question:
What level of quality control does Soda Pop Miniatures have over product quality? Will Soda Pop have any role in a final determination of quality before shipping begins, or is that solely the province of CMON? Do you know what kind of quality controls CMON are using to prevent mold line issues on the thin and intricate RK miniatures?

Answer:
CMON manages manufacturing, including the quality control aspect. They have already sent people over to examine all the test production and handle any improvements that are needed. They will also have personnel on hand to make sure the production runs meet expectations. Soda Pop is periodically sent photographs and test models to provide our own feedback.

Question:
A specific question on quality: a user on the DakkaDakka forums posted screen grabs from the 360 video that showed some (apparently) substantial mold lines that may be problematic. Is it possible to gain any insight from internal sources/CMON as to the specific flaws that seem to be identified by that user?

Answer:
Previously I said I wasn't certain if the video was the final sculpts since we (SPM) didn't make it, but I thought that it probably was. Like you, we were concerned with many of the mold lines that were present in those shots. We have followed up and been told, unequivocally, that those shots were from the early test mold production run. They are not the finals. We are requesting shots of the final models. From here on out the only shots that will be posted are the final shots to prevent confusion. My apologies for the confusion those shots have already caused. I have amended the answer below.

Question:
Why did you feel it was wise to show us models we were not allowed to purchase during the KS while simultaneously tell us that the project is delayed, yet again. Why couldn't those models, pre-planed/paid as they were, have been shown afterwards?

Answer:
We got excited. Really it’s simple as that. The sculpts got done early and we wanted to show them off.

Question:
What is the status of the other pdf Add-on, the Manga (Issue 0)?

Answer:
It is done. I will inquire about releasing it sooner rather than later.

Question:
The second video (the one with the RK-Logo in the background) seemed to fix a lot of mold line issues of the previous video. Do you know if the minis represent a different batch of models or did the filmers just put more effort in making them presentable opposed to the more rushed first film?

Answer:
I do not know, as it was released before I received the information on the mold lines that I expressed above. I will do my best to make sure that models are clearly labeled from here on out as to what stage in the process the photo is from.

Question:
Where will the rules for your special edition figures (e.g. Kisa and Suicide Queen) going to be located at?

Answer:
The special edition models have no game rules. They are simply fun sculpts to paint and collect.

Question:
Is this game meant for children? And if it is are the adults who play this game going to have to deal with a watered down version because of this? Or Is this game meant for adults and parents who let their kids play will have to deal with a few pinups and things of that nature?

Answer:
We advertise the game as suitable for ages 13 and up. What has currently been presented in both art and sculpt is representative of the continued development of the line. Ultimately it is up to the parents to decide what is and is not suitable for their own child.

Question:
You said that Relic Knights will be an ongoing story. Have you thought about the progression of the story being influence by tournaments, or win records? For example: say a certain questing knight is used a lot in a tournaments, would you look at upgrading him to a relic knight?

Answer:
We have thought about that. Quite a bit actually. Honestly, we haven’t made a final decision yet.

Question:
Do you guys have a plan for more manga? Labeling the one we are getting as #0 implies this, so what kind of time frame are we looking at?

Answer:
We would love to do more manga. First we just need to get the game to you though.

Question:
Is the pledge manager still open?

Answer:
Not to my knowledge.

Question:
Who or what are Blackball Games and what is their relation to Soda Pop Miniatures and Cool Mini or Not?

Answer:
Blackball Games is an independent design studio that Soda Pop Miniatures contracted to write the core mechanics for Relic Knights, which we then used as the foundation to build the rest of the game. They did a bang up good job on them too.

Question:
PDF artbooks are nice, but miniature gamers are like mercenary jackals, they have an addiction for miniatures. Will there be any extra presents?

Answer:
Not at this time. We did the PDF artbook and upgraded the Starter Box quickstart rules to a full rulebook (no fluff only crunch). Doing another bonus model this late in the game would just add more time.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/6/2013 *****

Question:
I understand that CMoN is a company all of its own and it handles everything having to do with production and manufacturing but, what was SPM's reaction to finding out that they posted a video showing old models on a update talking about finalizing production?

Answer:
You pretty much saw our reaction. We immediately followed up to find out if the shots were final production or not. When we found out they weren’t we issued an apology for the confusion and from here on out we will make sure to only show shots of final, off the production line, models.

Question:
You have said a few times that you have no idea when they will ship just that they said it should be before Chinese New Year. Where is production on these models (to give us a better estimate) 85%, 95%, 98% (just waiting on token / base retool)? And how much longer do you estimate before production is completed? If these are not shipped before the factories close for Chinese New Year is there a back up plan?

Answer:
We have received word from China that they will be doing the test run on the token molds on December 8th. Once this test run has been finished they will inform us of the results and then provide us with a new ready date. Production with then proceed faction by faction. We have also been told that they will do everything they can to get it done before the Chinese New Year. If it does run into the New Year there is nothing that we can do about that. We will have to wait it out for the three weeks and then immediately pick back up. Hopefully we can avoid that altogether. We will be giving you production updates as we receive them. This information will be in a Kickstarter update soon as well.

Question:
I am thankful that you have been answering these question for us but, does SPM have any new news for us concerning this project? You have been great on answering what you can but, I don't know if we have heard anything new. We now know from your answers that many of our questions and concerns have to do things that are frankly, out of SPM's control.

Answer:
We’re going to start. As you may have already seen, in cooperation with CMON we will be taking direct control of communication not only here but on the Kickstarter as well. As part of that we will continue to seek answers for any questions.

Question:
How will SPM continue doing business with CMoN after this?

Answer:
As previously stated in another question, CMON is the publisher for Relic Knights. Soda Pop and CMON have had many successful products that we have done together, including Super Dungeon Explore and its two expansions.

Question:
What kind of gaming aids are there to help people remember the rules and if none do you think you will be producing anything?

Answer:
The faction Battle Boxes each come with a 32 page mini-rulebook that will become a valuable tool for referencing rules without needing to carry around the full 272 page rulebook. In addition, packed in the esper deck are reference cards for all of the general and esper actions, and all of the scenario conditions.

Question:
How do you feel about the complexity of the scenario setup for victory conditions, its seems overly complex compared to the initial version that was released where there can now be 6 to 10 unique scenarios to have to keep track of?

Answer:
We love them! (Did you expect another answer?) Here was our thinking on scenario conditions. An average game of Relic Knights doesn’t have a lot of models, so we felt extra complexity in scenarios is not overwhelming. Plus, gamers have been dealing with primary and multiple “secondary” conditions in wargames for years. In most games you will find it will be easier for your army to key on specific conditions you drew and ignore others. This is expected and just part of your options. Speaking of options, you always can just focus on denying your opponent their conditions and destroying their models. Nothing says simple like some carnage. We also encourage you to create your own conditions. We certainly plan to!

Question:
You answered a question earlier stating that Suicide Queen and Kisa wouldn't have Stat Cards (I'm assuming this includes Ayu Beat), but does this also mean the Candy Rush currently available from Soda Pop's Store will not have a stat card too?

Answer:
Correct. No special edition models current have stat cards. We seem to have high interest in them getting them though, so we are discussing the possibility.

Question:
The Darkspace Special Edition Miniatures from the Kickstarter will these have stat cards?

Answer:
Yes.

Question:
If you were aware that these extra models (Noh Dragon, Flying banner chick, etc.) were in the pipe and had been sculpted, why were we not allowed access to them during the KS campaign?

Answer:
Their sculpts were not done until after the close of the Kickstarter. (We only previewed their stats during the Kickstarter.) We also wanted to save some items for post Kickstarter for every faction.

Question:
Will there be a regular expansion schedule?

Answer:
Yes. How this will be implemented is entirely up to how the game is doing. We have an aggressive plan and a conquer the world plan.

Question:
Will we get access to an additional rulebook update similar to the one released a few(-ish or more) months ago, prior to final release?

Answer:
The mini-rulebook will always be available on our Relic Knights media page. I will double check to make sure the one available is the most up-to-date one.

Question:
For those of us who want access to the old metal/resin pieces, will they still be available after the KS product ships?

Answer:
Resin and metal models will remain available from the webstore as long as the molds last. They will then be removed from circulation, unless demand dictates otherwise.

Question:
You said go for conversions which I am excited about, does this mean that if I convert Asger Faust to be a chick that is fine? In terms of conversions...other than 'obvious what they should be,' will there be any 3rd party part restrictions?

Answer:
In terms of conversions, ultimately it is up to you and your opponents what you allow. We will have official tournament rules and include information on conversions in them. I do not have those 100% finalized. In general though, for an official event the model should be primarily Soda Pop components.

Question:
Will there be any hobby support and/or painting competitions, etc.?

Answer:
Yes, all of the above! We will release details for this once the game is in hand. Obviously that currently takes precedence.

Question:
What kind of articles (internet or otherwise) can we expect in relation to RK after retail release?

Answer:
The sky is the limit really. We’ll be looking at modeling, painting, gaming, background, etc. We’re also very interested in hearing what sort of content you’re interested in, as well as highlighting community content.

Question:
What was the motivation behind the recent increase in communication, both regarding Relic Knight overall, and the KS page?

Answer:
Fixing something that was broken. We’re a small company and incredibly busy working on everything we want to accomplish, but that’s not an excuse. We knew we had fallen behind in communication, which is part of the reason we brought Ross on board. Ross has been fantastic in keep communication going on Facebook and e-mail, as a natural progression of that we had several discussions on how to best engage our backers who, like us, had become increasingly frustrated with the delay. This full-on communication offensive is the result.

Question:
Any chance of future models being based on tokusatsu?

Answer:
My understanding of tokusatsu is that its a pretty broad category, encompassing everything from godzilla to all the crazy Toei superhero live action stuff. We are certainly fans and gain inspiration from such areas. As for having something specifically based on any franchises—not at this time.

Question:
In regards to the issue with the sizing issues with the final packages...is this due to CMoN trying to utilize what has become their standard cookie cutter boxed game with plastic inserts? Or what exactly is the issue with the packaging?

Answer:
One arm on the SDE Kasaro-To didn't fit in the package correctly. That issue has already been resolved.

Question:
Will markers / models for Objectives be in the token sets or starters?

Answer:
Yes. 50mm tokens for your objectives are in both the Starter Sets and future token packs. We encourage you to make some awesome themed 3D ones though!

Question:
Can you give us details on the plastic being used? I read a rumor that it was the same type that Privateer Press uses for their plastic minis, is that accurate?

Answer:
Same plastic, same factory.

Question:
Thank you for doing this Mr. Deke. This has really rekindled my enthusiasm for the game.

Answer:
It’s actually Mr. Stella. Deke is my first name. ;) Regarding the increase in communication—You’re welcome. My apologies it took so long.

Question:
Will the pledge manager be unlocked again?

Answer:
No. All of our order quantities are locked in.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/9/2013 *****

Question:
I was wondering if you would be so kind to include any other updates based on the feedback playtesters impacted with the units?

Answer:
I checked the current cards that we have available on our Media Page and they are up-to-date except for Francis’s, Aspirant trait being moved to the correct location and the cost of the Diamond Corp. Listing all of the changes that we made based on your feedback would literally encompass many pages. If you still have a copy of the original preview rules and cards we posted then compare them to the current ones you will see much of it.

Question:
I think you got my question mixed up with another persons.........If I gave a named male character a sex change would it be allowed to be played in an official tourney? If I of course used all SPM bits of course.

Answer:
Nope. They were on the same topic so I bundled them together. We haven’t made our official decision on conversions yet, but it will be in line with my previous statement. As for a gender swap it likely will depend on how easy it is to recognize as Asger, and depend on the venue and format of the specific event.

Question:
Will backers get everything in retail packaging, or just little plastic bags and such?

Answer:
Most of the packaging will be retail, with a few exceptions for items that ended up getting bundled differently for retail than for the Kickstarter.

Question:
Will Darkspace models and kickstarter extras have packaging at all?

Answer:
Yes they have packaging.

Question:
Will we see more crossover Promo Minis in the future (in-house like the RK-characters in SDE or out-house like survivor Candy in KD-M)? I gotta admit, I'm a sucker for crossovers...

Answer:
We don’t have any planned at the moment but we are huge fans of them as well, so are always looking for opportunities.

Question:
Now that Marikan-To is a Questing Knight and she was included with the Noh starter, does Lakmi the cypher come in the starter now OR does the starter get changed to include the male archer we have seen at GenCon and also in the model preview?

Answer:
Marikan-To comes with Lakmi. There is no male archer. We have previewed the Hatriya warriors who have big, curved double blades so it is possible that in a convention picture it appeared to be a bow.

Question:
What bases are coming with the SDE models? Are they the same as the base game and exp or is a basic base like the one that comes with Candy & Cola?

Answer:
They will be the flagstone SDE bases.

Question:
Any chance at having a look at the completed Plushies?

Answer:
I will track down some pictures!

Question:
Do you have a time frame that Ultra Pro will have the last 3 Relic Knight deck boxes and sleeves out?

Answer:
That’s ultimately up to their production schedule since it is a licensed product. We have submitted art to them for the other boxes.

Question:
It's great to hear the Darkspace minis will have stat cards. Quick question though, will they be completely different statistically, or will they simply be available to another faction? For example, will Darkspace Fiametta have different abilities/spells/cost than standard Fiametta?

Answer:
They are not completely unique. They have several abilities that are core to their base unit as well as some flavorful to their cosplay personas.

Question:
Another question relating to the Darkspace minis. Will Darkspace minis be usable in Organized play? I know some people will have a lot of trouble acquiring them (as they are only available in Cons / the Kickstarter if I understand right), so I'm not sure if they should be allowed in Organized Play.

Answer:
That will depend entirely on the event. More open-form events—yes. Ones that we are looking for the “core” Relic Knights play—no.

Question:
How much of a role do you think luck takes place in the game? Without any kind of dice rolling or card flipping mechanic (a la Malifaux), actions simply succeed if you have the esper. How do you think this mechanic affects the game?

Answer:
We find that the game is more about resource management than luck. Paying attention to what unit is next in your ready queue and prepping your hand in anticipation is key to successful play. The Held Esper mechanic is another resource to manage that really helps smooth out bad draws.

Question:
Seeing as Marikan-to became a Knight, has Sophia Drake been changed to one as well? Also, are Sophia Drake and One Shot related (both have Pink hair, anime shows that's not even required).

Answer:
Sophia Drake is not a Knight. She is a Black Dragon officer. No Sophia and One Shot are not related. They come from dramatically different backgrounds.

Question:
For the fluff, is the main storyline built to progress through various expansion books, or is it a complete story?

Answer:
It is built to progress through various articles and expansions.

Question:
Knowing that there have been updates to certain models/units (Black Diamond Corps becoming cheaper you mentioned), will you update the pdf of the cards to reflect that?

Answer:
Yes. I will work on getting that up soon.

Question:
The Noh Beastmaster is fascinating, as it buffs not a specific model, but a group of them (Beasts). That is a very cool design space. Most Officers only seem to affect one specific unit (such as Swordswon officer). Will other factions gain something like the beastmaster? Like Black Diamond gaining a Beastmaster-like unit for constructs/mecha, or the Doctrine gaining one for Codifiers or Novitiates?

Answer:
They don’t have it in the current book, but it is definitely a mechanic we plan on exploring further, and is one of the key reasons for the trait system.

Question:
Is there any rough estimates on street dates and can we get a release schedule when there is one please?

Answer:
Not yet. I will pass that and any production information I get along to you the moment I receive it.

Question:
Of the Games & Gears boards, would the Hawk Underground (28mm streets etc.) or the Anime board set be more suitable for Relic Knights?

Answer:
Really they all work just fine. The setting of Relic Knights is an entire galaxy with many settled worlds of incredible variety. The Hawk board is great for a metropolitan area, the Anime is great for a factory or spaceship interior, Hellscape for a Noh scoured world (or even Nozuki’s realm), and Anima for a Shattered Sword or Doctrine location.

Question:
Is the Battle Systems terrain going to provide the types of height that Relic Knights needs to play effectively? If not, is there a system out there that you would recommend or would you suggest just scratch building terrain?

Answer:
Apologies, I am not familiar with the Battle Systems terrain. In general you can make any 28-32mm scale terrain work. Biggest thing you want to consider is having good vertical scope and line of sight blocking terrain.

Question:
Are there plans for any Relic Knights specific terrain?

Answer:
We would love to do some but nothing specific at the moment.

Question:
What types of settings are the scenarios going to require? Lots of city fights, deserts, spaceships?

Answer:
All of the above! The scenarios in the book are designed to be terrain neutral. You will certainly find some easier or harder to accomplish based on the terrain, but that just part of the diversity that variable battlefields brings to tabletop games.

Question:
Are the SE or LE figures from the KS going to be strictly KS and cons? Or are they going to more like your current SE and LE products and available to your online store. Example of course SDE Candy/Cola, Aya Beat, the metal Perfects.

Answer:
They are restricted to KS and conventions.

Question:
Are the LE Darkspace characters and QK Marie going to be in the big rulebook?

Answer:
Marie-Claude is part of the main game and in the book. The Darkspace characters are fun special editions outside of the core universe and thus are not in the book.

Question:
Is this game going to make it to Sakura-Con (self promotion as I'm again running the mini game room there)?

Answer:
We’ve gone to Sakura-Con in the past and had a blast. Hit up Ross, at info@sodapopminiatures.com he handles our community events and we can hopefully get something arranged.

Question:
Any hints on Aya Beats, like faction, unit type, when she might come out in? Last we saw she seem to be on music-theme relic but only a clear resin 3d print.

Answer:
Not yet. She does like the color green though.

Question:
Any more beasts for the Noh besides the Hounds and Dragon?

Answer:
Not in the first book. In the future? Absolutely! (The “dragon” is called a Dahon. Insane temperamental beasts they are.)

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/10/2013 *****
Question:
With thoughts for future expansions, do you think that you'll just stick with the 6 factions we already know or is there a strong possibility more factions will be lurking beyond the horizon?

Answer:
Too early! We have lots of ideas though. ;)

Question:
With game changes since the start what are going to be each faction play style? What can we be expecting from our factions?

Answer:
You can download the cards on the Media Page to get a good sense of each faction’s capabilities. In general: Cerci = fast and fragile; Shattered Sword = armor and durability; Black Diamond = ranged superiority; Noh Empire = close combat bruisers; Star Nebula Corsairs = jack of all trades plus explosions; Doctrine = esper masters

Question:
Do you, or will you, have any info on faction choices? I'm curious to know which factions were most popular.

Answer:
All the factions were pretty closely represented. Black Diamond was the slight favorite with Cerci and the Corsairs coming in a close second. Shattered Sword took the back position but not by much.

Question:
Some factions are going to have more than one questing Knight along with the Relic Knight at release. Will the others who don't (doctrinedoctrinedoctrine) be getting another option from unannounced models, or will they appear during later expansions?

Answer:
Every faction will start with one Relic Knight and two Questing Knights.

Question:
Since Marie-Claude is in the main book is she also remain an exclusive or do you have other plans for her like alternate sculpt for retail?

Answer:
Because we made the decision to move Marie-Claude into the main game and rulebook her model will be available for general release to everyone.

Question:
Branching off of the terrain questions, can you give us any more details on that battle mat? Does it have buildings or other terrain marked on it?

Answer:
The battle mat is the exact image shown on the front page of the kickstarter in the Add-ons section.

Question:
Will all of the factions come with the same number of figures? If not what is the average number of figures per faction (including non-KS ones).

Answer:
Every faction has the same number of units (11) except for Black Diamond who snuck in with one extra unit (12).

Question:
I am also curious about the battle mat: will there be more? I would assume it all depends on the popularity.

Answer:
Correct. If it proves popular we will certainly look at the possibility of doing more.

Question:
Any chance we could see the RK SDE character cards or is it going to be a surprise?

Answer:
We will start previewing them soon.

Question:
It was mentioned that some models will be shipped to us differently than they will be sold retail. Can you tell us which model sets those are and what the differences are?

Answer:
It’s important to note that the models aren’t different, just the packaging is. The models not in retail packaging will be in special Kickstarter boxes, not just baggies. Off the top of my head the models that are in Kickstarter packaging instead of retail are: Squall, Iron Chef, Navarre, Austrican, The Cerci Starter, Fiametta, Togen, and Isabeau.

Question:
For units that have min/max members (example: Noh Berserkers) will their retail package come with a minimum unit and require single model blisters or will they be package as a max unit?

Answer:
All squads are packaged with a maximum size unit.

April 26th, 2014, 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/11/2013 *****

Question:
Can you tell us any details on the "Tell my story" pledge levels and whether or not (and if so where) the related characters made it into the actual game?

Answer:
We had four tell my story pledges. All four of them are in the game, they are: Asger Faust (Cerci Speed Circuit), Alex-117 (Black Diamond), Master Wu (Doctrine), Anthony plus his cyphers Castor and Pollux (Doctrine).

Question:
Are the battlemats kickstarter exclusive?

Answer:
No. They will have a retail release.

Question:
What are the prices for the models post-kickstarter estimated to be? Similar to the models currently available (approximately 12.95 for 30mm and and $20 for 50mm)? You might not be able to answer that yet though.

Answer:
We will release a retail price list once we get closer to retail launch.

Question:
The tokens look great. Do you guys happen to have production pictures of the base inserts as well?

Answer:
Not yet. We’ll share them as soon as we do.

Question:
Will the new (non-kickstarter) faction starters come with the 64-page rule book available online, or will it be a quickstart rulebook?

Answer:
It is a full 32 page rulebook. Not just quickstart rules.

Question
Why the Cerci Starter not in retail packaging?

Answer:
We ended up changing the contents of the Cerci Starter for retail from what it was in the Kickstarter. Making it so the packaging is different.

Question:
With the token mold looking good now (I assume? They looked round and flat from here) how long to get the inserts fixed and our minis in our hands?

Answer:
I will let you know as soon as I have that information.

Question:
Is there a possibility for you run another Kickstarter to fund an expansion to Relic Knights? If so, what would you do differently, if anything at all?

Answer:
Right now we are just focused on getting this Kickstarter delivered.

Question:
This may be a bit out of place here, but I was hoping you could shine some light on how the Cerci faction victory condition is meant to be played.

Answer:
The Cerci condition rewards you for accomplishing one of your two drawn conditions quickly. So it is essentially a bonus of +2VP to your existing conditions if you accomplish them before the Esper Deck has drawn through the first time.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
****** 12/12/2013 *****

Question:
What does the new Cerci starter contain? I know it won't affect us, but I'm still quite curious.

Answer:
The retail Cerci Starter is Marie-Claude, Esmee (cypher), Pit Crew, and a Royal Wrecker, plus book, cards, deck, tokens etc.

Question:
(In regards to Doctrine Questing Knight, Anthony.)
Wait wait CYPHERS as in plural? Does that mean we can get squad knights as well?

Answer:
Yes, plural cyphers. Anthony has two cyphers (two bases) and gains different powers depending on which one is currently dominant. No, no Knight squads.

Question:
I'd forgotten about [the Tell My Story characters]. I take it they will be available soon after launch?

Answer:
They will be part of the regular retail launch cycle.

Questions:
Will the kickstarter backers be getting [the mini-rulebook] as well, or just the full rules guide?

Answer:
The mini-rulebook is part of all the Kickstarter starters.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/13/2013 *****
Question:
What are the contents and point values of the starters?

Answer:
Ape2020 and Claymore65 have the starter contents correct in this post. (Noh starter is Zineda.)

Question:
Will the minis come pre snipped off the sprues like the PP versions of the plastics.

Answer:
Yes.

Question:
Is the current versions of the Esper decks on the website the final versions? For comparison purpose of the orange and yellow espers.

Answer:
Yes, that is the final deck.

Question:
What is the situation with Battle Foam in regards to the bags they had on Pre-Order in Feb 2013. I ordered one and have since asked if it is still going ahead to which they answered that they were awaiting model sizing from SPM/CMoN.

Answer:
It shouldn’t be too much longer. Like all of us they’re just waiting on models so they can make sure the bags are optimised with the correct foam.

Question:
Will models from a Starter also be available individually at retail?

Answer:
The minions will be. The Questing Knights are only in the starters.

Question:
Do you have any info on the Void/Radiant Minions. It says in the rulebook, that you can only recruit matching minions. Can you spoil anything about them, and are they on the early release? Really looking forward to using my Candy Radiant Relic Knight.

Answer:
Void/Radiant characters can recruit uniques from any matching faction. This represents the fact that they are typically outside the faction organizations so rarely have access to the baseline troops, instead relying on the unique characters that have more free agency to join them in a battle. Void/Radiant specific minions are further down the road.

Question:
In regards to SDE Kasaro To, he seems to be a 4-block mini like Angry Bear and others. Is he a hero or mini-boss?

Answer:
He is a Mini-Boss.

Question:
What is the ultimate plan for the Penny Arcade LE figures? Will they be legal in all but friendly games? Will they be sold until a specific Number have been made or will they be a constant at the tournament scene swag halls?

Answer:
The legality of them in a tournament setting will depend on the tournament format and event. The Penny Arcade characters will be available at events for approximately a year and then the license ends.

Question:
As they are a topic of current discussion, are the 'Tell my Story' Characters going to be Con specific or standard retail?

Answer:
Standard retail. They were fully worked into the game, complete with their own background.

Question:
Any chance you can update the Kickstarter with some of the concept art for the new (non-kickstarter) models? Or do you want to keep some more stuff as a surprise?

Answer:
We’re keeping a few things a surprise. ;)

Question:
Just for fun, would you guys consider doing a fluff-update on the kickstarter? Something like a general overview of the fluff for the factions (saving the cooler details for the actual book of course)?

Answer:
That does sound fun! (Added to the list.)

Question:
With the changes to the Cerci Starter, I assume all of them will get questing knights instead? That makes sense to me as questing knights are better in small pt games, but a little more confirmation would be nice.

Answer:
Yes, all starters are Questing Knights.

Question:
For the fluff, what is One Shot's personality like? I'm just curious, as her (great-looking) World War II pin-up aesthetic is a bit different from the rest of the faction.

Answer:
In a faction of generally amoral soldiers for hire, One Shot is one of the good guys. She is often unwilling to perform some of Black Diamond’s shadier contracts. This also means she values those under her command more than most, and will try to achieve her objectives with minimum loss of life. Something that often throws her into conflict with her more ruthless cypher, Fritz.

April 26th, 2014, 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/17/2013 ****
Question:
Can we hear anything about Sophia Drake's background as well?

Answer:
She is the daughter of the founder of Black Diamond, and has a very different idea on how it should be run. She’s a bit more imperialistic than dear old dad.

Question:
What prompted the decision to change the starters for the retail release? I'm curious about that.

Answer:
Ape2020 is correct. Price point was the primary concern. Relic Knights are expensive individual models and we felt they drove up the cost of the starters too much.

Question:
Has the design of the dashboards been finalised? Will they look pretty much as shown in the rulebook and coloured to match each faction? Would also be good to know a rough size.

Answer:
The dashboard design is the same as the one in the preview rulebook. Dimensions are approximately 9”x20”.

Question:
I'm sure you have a fair few fans here in the UK, are you looking into some sort of UK presence for retail going forward?

Answer:
Absolutely! We already sell SDE into UK retail channels and plan on doing the same with Relic Knights.

Question:
What steps are left before we get our ks packages - is it just the bases that need fixing, or is there anything else after that?

Answer:
The bases need to be fixed and then we will get the new date from China. As soon as I have that from them I will definitely relay it to everyone.

Question:
The SDE Special edition characters were originally promoted with their cyphers, but the molds shown do not show the cyphers with them. Will the cyphers be making their way to the SDE world one way or another?
Answer:
The cyphers are their potion effect.

Question:
Was any of our input on the renders taken in, for instance the odd Doctrine Initiates sculpts (lots of complaints about the boots for instance)?

Answer:
Yes, we did read all the input and some adjustments were made, but the models have been finalized and in China since February/March.

Question:
News on the insert mold?

Answer:
Still waiting. I will let you know as soon as I hear from China.

Question:
Looking ahead to the future, what's the optimal point size to play the game? And to ask the big bad, what would be your ideal for competitive/ tournament style play points sizes?

Answer:
I like big games with lots of models so I tend to go high. I think most people will find 35-50 point battles to be their favorite, fighting for 8-12 VPs, depending on how fast you want the rounds to go.

Question:
Can we get the Relic Knights artbook under the christmas tree, please?

Answer:
Yes!

Question:
Could we start seeing some previews for other cards yet to be revealed? I'd really be interested in seeing some of the Darkspace characters - especially Tycho and Gabe!

Answer:
Yes. I will be previewing the SDE cards this week and will do the Darkspace cards right on their heels.

Question:
With the revelation that [Kasaro-To] is a Mini-Boss and NOT a Hero, is there any way if I beg and plead that I can grab one from you guys?
Answer:
Unfortunately all of our order quantities are locked in so we can make changes at this time. We have many fantastic Ninja Shoppers here on the forums that I’m sure would help you secure one from a con.

Question:
Are you planning on visiting Arizona in your crusade?

Answer:
We’re always open to more cons. I’ll have Ross see what’s in the Arizona area and see if we can have presence there at some point.

Question:
To someone new playing Relic Knights, what would be your first advice for playing it?

Answer:
Have fun! Seriously. Relic Knights is meant to be fast, frenetic, and more than a little tongue-in-cheek. The game is designed to play quickly so if something goes terribly wrong, have a rematch. Second, choose something that matches your play style and aesthetic. If you’re someone who likes to sit back and shoot, Noh are not the faction for you. Choosing an army you’ll enjoy on and off the battlefield is key.

Question:
About the book, is it in full-color?

Answer:
Absolutely!

Question:
In the future, are you planning on expanding via Faction books/codexes, or more general expansion style books?

Answer:
Still a little early for that info. ;)

Question:
The manga seems pretty exciting. Will we get the pdfs around shipping time, or earlier?

Answer:
Like the Art Book we’re going to do the Manga earlier. Pretty soon in fact.

Question:
Fluff wise, were the M-8 Blitz Auto-Tanks influenced by the Fuchikomas from Ghost in the Shell? The quote kind of sounds like them.

Answer:
We love the Fuchikomas! That said, the M-8s are chee who are sentient robots. So their personality can vary pretty dramatically depending on what sort of life they’ve led.

Question:
Obviously, anime is a huge influence on Relic Knights. What particular shows do you think had the greatest impact on the game? What shows would you suggest to anime fans?

Answer:
Don’t even know where to start lets say—Gurren Lagann, Last Exile, Macross, Cowboy Bebop, Gasaraki, Trigun, Burst Angel, Bubblegum Crisis...too many….

Question:
Fluff-wise, is there a particular planet the storyline if focused on, or is there a lot more space travel?

Answer:
Because I wanted to cover a lot of characters we hit several locations. The three primary are the Catermane Academy (Doctrine), Ulyxis (Alliance Forum World and Malya’s home), and then one that skips through space a bit but ends up at ….well a very important place.

Question:
Fluff-wise, how large is the Paladin order?

Answer:
Huge. Shattered Sword is only one order of six in The Six Peers. It is the largest order and once helped protect an entire universe. Because of this it’s also arguably the hardest hit by the Darkspace Calamity. For many of our organizations I actually avoid creating specific numbers for them. Once you’re talking civilization on a multiple galaxy scale the numbers become too big to be meaningful or they inadvertently become too small and marginalize the organization.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/18/2013 *****
Question:
How Harlock-y is Harker fluffwise?

Answer:
A bit. The inspiration is there but he is his own character.

Question:
Can we get a little bit of data on the whole Chee thing? Is it programmed sentience or acquired?

Answer:
The Chee became sentient when the first cypher manifested to a maintenance robot. It gifted him with sentience and an inadvertent side effect was that sentience promulgated through the entire network to which he was attached.

Question:
Also a minor question that doesn't really need an answer if you don't feel like it. Are there going to be any Spacecops in this universe? I mean in the sense of a Zenigata to Harker's Lupin?

Answer:
Not in the first book, but certainly a possibility.

Question:
With the changes to the starters, does this mean we get the Relic Knights separate or that we now have to buy them once the game is released?

Answer:
Kickstarter pledges are wholly unaffected by any shift in retail strategy. If you pledged for it, you will get it.

Question:
Now back on track- any chance we'll get to see a teaser of the Darkspace Candy & Cola from the Kingdom of Death kickstater some time soon?

Answer:
That sculpt is being handled by Adam on his end. I can certainly check to see it’s status, but I imagine his Kickstarter is the most up-to-date with that information.

Question:
Has everything been produced except the inserts and tokens now? I guess I'm looking a status update for all of the items other than inserts and tokens.

Answer:
Unfortunately, with how China does manufacturing everything is essentially done in one big production push after everything has been approved. We will be providing you with the new production schedule as soon as we have it.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/20/2013 *****
Question:
Will you be doing a painting guide for each faction? Would be cool to see how your painters get their finished results.

Answer:
We are planning on each of the Soda Pop employees painting up a faction and chronicling it on the website. Plus we’ll do spot articles from our studio painters.

Question:
With the plethora of really good anime-style miniature companies out there, I'd really like to incorporate some non-Soda Pop figures for a narrative campaign. Will the RK rules ever have a system for players to create their own generic Questing Knights or some such?

Answer:
Not planned at the moment, but who knows, sky’s the limit.

Question:
How easy will it be to pick up Relic Knights and just start playing?

Answer:
The core mechanic is pretty basic. You just need to spend cards from your hand of the appropriate color to use actions printed on your model’s card. After that knowledge of key words and abilities will come with repeated gameplay.

Question:
I totally missed out on picking up the Candy and Cola plushies during the KS - will they be available on the Sodapop webstore in the future?

Answer:
We will have a small quantity for sale but any future sales depend on demand.

Question:
Does the latest update mean to say (not explicitly) that only the battle boxes need to be produced now? Or better worded, is everything else already made and y'all are only waiting for the battle box stuff?

Answer:
It means that production will begin with the Battle Boxes and SDE figures and continue from there.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/23/2013 *****

Correction:
I need to correct my answer on the plushies. The limited quantities that we will have for sell are for conventions. My apologies on the mistake, hazard of answering questions at midnight.

Question:
Concerning SDE Kasaro To - is the crippling smash really meant to only cost 1 action or is that a mistake on the card?

Answer:
It costs three. I posted up an old card on accident. I am fixing it today.

Question:
I was just wondering what other items/materials there might be in the faction starters? I'm thinking specifically of the blue and red crystals that have already been seen within a few Relic Knight associated Youtube videos.

Answer:
Ape is correct the crystals are Gale Force 9. They are quite awesome. His list of Battle Box contents is also correct (except for mini-rulebook page count): Questing Knight, Cypher, Major Minion(s), Minor Minions, Basic Rules 32pg, Esper Deck, Tracker Cards, Data Cards, Tokens, Playmat.

Question:
Rivet Wars are handing out some awesome new models as a way of apologizing a bit for the delay, will you guys be doing anything similar?

Answer:
Unfortunately we couldn’t offer such a thing without delaying the timeline even further with sculpting, tooling, etc for new, unplanned models.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/30/2013 *****
Question:
The rules for Tow don't state the the towed unit has to remain behind the unit towing it. Can I place a towed unit in front of the unit towing it? Same thing for Overrrun, can I place my unit in front of the enemy unit?

Answer:
Hausdorff is correct. No front or back in the game. Early versions had it but with double moves and just how fast everything is it quickly turned into a fiddly mechanic that was too often irrelevant.

Question:
Will there be any sort of swag offered due to the 7+ month delay? This is purely curiosity, not asking for swag.

Answer:
We didn’t want to increase the timetable further by trying to sneak in additional models or print. We did use the time to give you the artbook. We also upgraded the quickstart rules from the initial 4 page pamphlet to a full 32 page mini-rulebook.

Question:
Did you have a good holiday?

Answer:
I did. Saw the family and ate lots of homemade lasagna (we’re Italian descent) so I count it as a success!

Question:
Are there different head options for the Void Herald (Amelial), Navarre Hauer, or Hell’s Belles?

Answer:
Navarre comes with both a helmeted and unhelmeted head. Neither the Void Herald or Hell’s Belles have alternate heads.

Question:
What old models got new sculpts? (Squall, Delphyne, etc)

Answer:
Calico Kate, Fiametta, and Delphyne got resculpts. Several other models had to have staves or weapon shafts thickened a bit. We quite like the Squall sculpt and her sales have her quite popular so no change was made. ;)

Question:
The Art book is sweet. Will here be a physical one too? I want a hardcopy.

Answer:
We do too! We’re exploring that option, but it won’t be for a bit if it happens.

Question:
When will Rustbucket be available for retail?

Answer:
Since he’s not part of the Kickstarter mega-run the Rusty Bucket of Bolts will be scheduled for release sometime later next year.

Question:
What are you watching on TV right now? Anime or otherwise. Find any great sources of inspiration lately? Get anything spiffy for the winter holiday of your choice?

Answer:
Anime I’m currently watching Gargantia, Attack on Titan, and am just starting The Devil is a Part Timer. Attack on Titan blew me away for the first couple episodes but hit the skids a bit when it appeared to devolve into a standard reckless guy “training” anime. I’ve been told that doesn’t last long though and it goes back to some crazy titan shenanigans quickly. I’m looking forward to that. Gargantia has so far been fantastic. I’m a big fan of how they highlight the extreme technological differences between earth and space; as well as the varied paths of "civilization" between Gargantia, Galactic Alliance, and Hideouze.

Non-Anime I hit the Christmas classics: Die Hard, Christmas Story, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Charlie Brown. I just finished the first season of Arrow, then catching up on some Lost Girl, White Collar, and Futurama.

For holidays probably the best “gift” was my family doing a big donation to our local children’s hospital through Child’s Play. Actual material goods, I’m gonna go with Guillermo del Toro Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections, and Other Obsessions. I’m a huge fan of del Toro and this book is part artbook, part Q&A, part autobiography, and 100% interesting.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 12/31/2013 *****

Question:
I noticed that in the art book that Harker was absent. Is this an indication that he is being tweaked from an artistic standpoint, or perhaps that he's under consideration for a different sculpt?

Answer:
Nope! He actually eluded capture for the art book. Pirates are wily that way sometimes. I’ll see if Alliance Security thinks he’ll be part of a revision.

Question:
How do I track the status of my order(/pledge)?

Answer:
Sadly, shipping has not yet started. Once it does, you will receive tracking information from Cool Mini or Not and be able to track the status of your order through them.

Questions:
In the initial retail release, do you know what figures, if any, that weren't in the kickstarter will be available?

Answer:
The initial release waves will be primarily Kickstarter models, since we need to get them into retail channels. A couple early non-Kickstarter models are Mamaro-To, Sophia Drake, and Jeanne Romee.

Question:
Can we get an explanation why Rivet wars is shipping while we are still waiting on Relic Knights? I'm patient but I want to know why another CMoN project funded after Relic Knights is going out but we're still waiting for this one.

Answer:
Since we are not involved in any way with Rivet Wars, I have no details on its production schedule, or why/how it ended up in front of Relic Knights.

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 1/2/2014 *****
Question:
Is Codebreaker a knight, or is he a minion? I love the idea of a model that goes with Magnus thematically, but since he has an enslaved cypher, he's most likely a knight.

Answer:
Codebreaker is a Questing Knight of a very different sort. Magnus has created the Codebreaker Project to unlock the mysteries of the cyphers. The Codebreaker is a power-armored suit that harnesses the esper energy of enslaved cyphers. Unfortunately this is often deadly to both the pilot and the cypher. In the game the slaved cypher can actually get sucked dry by the suit and destroyed.

Question:
With this project finally in it's final stages, what are the plans to help people with the old metal models get cards for the game? If cards are to be on sale in the cmon or soda pop webstores, will the shipping fees be reduced for card-only purchases?

Answer:
We will have cards available for purchase through our website. All of our shipping is based purely on product weight and shipping type. We do not pass along packaging or handling costs. So the cards should be fairly inexpensive to ship.

Question:
How much of Ninja Division is Soda Pop or how much Soda Pop is Ninja Division? I was thinking about making a Veritech Squad themed after my Corsairs when they show up and wondered who’s FB page to send the image to.

Answer:
Ninja Division is joint owned by Soda Pop Miniatures and Cipher Studios. Both facebook pages have different (if overlapping) audiences so go ahead and send them to both!

Question:
Is there a chance that SPM will release prints of some of the art in the artbook; or release poster quality files so we can get our own printed?

Answer:
Definitely a chance of us doing posters and prints in the future. Right now we’re so focused on getting the game out that side merchandising is a secondary consideration, but once it’s available we’ll ramp up the other stuff.

April 26th, 2014, 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 1/7/2014 *****

Question:

Is CMoN still planning to Airlift to US for shipping?

Answer:
That is my understanding. I have sent them a message asking to see if that is still the plan.

Question:
Does Kisa's Relic have a name? My wife has taken to calling it Kitty Dancer in quasi-jaeger fashion (Pacific Rim reference!)

Answer:
Kisa's relic is named Mihos. Though I'm a big fan of Kitty Dancer!

Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

SPM_Deke wrote:
***** 1/19/2014 ****

Question:
Since you are waiting for the new toys like the rest of us, what do you do in the meantime to get your hobby fix?

Answer:
Right now most my hobby time is working on items for Soda Pop. At the moment it's terrain. However, I am a fan of many miniature games and work on Ultramarines, Necrons, Fantasy Orcs, Hordes Trollbloods, Infinity Pan Oceania, Helldorado Saracens, I also just got a bunch of Norse from Mierce that I'm excited to work on.

Question:
Can we get a timeline of major points in the project, who was responsible for that aspect of the project (between Soda Pop and CMON I presume being the only applicable groups) and which ones were delayed, and how?

Answer:
As previously stated Soda Pop is the design studio. We handle the entire design of the game, including masters for the models, art, and all print materials. CMoN is our publisher and handles manufacturing and distribution. We have posted updates and answered multiple questions regarding the delays and the various nature of them. This is a joint project between both CMoN and Soda Pop so the delays are on us both. We are also both working very hard to see production through and make sure Relic Knights is on your game tables.

Question:
Have you received any pictures of the completed Battleboxes? If so, putting them on Kickstarter would really alleviate some of the frustration.

Answer:
I don't but I have been told pictures are coming. I will be posting them as soon as I have them.

Question:
From the sound of it, Codebreaker will be very unique. Since it is just a powered armor suit, can you bring multiple or something? Either way, he looks really cool.

Answer:
Not multiples but he is unique in that the cypher carries all of the esper and is very much a battery. If the cypher is sucked dry the Codebreakers ability to function is severely hindered.

Question:
Is the Castellan mecha comparable in battlefield role to the Diamondback? I would love to set the two giant mecha to fight each other.

Answer:
Yes they both fulfill similar roles though the castellan is a bit quicker thanks to its actions that involve a good deal of movement.

Question:
What will Viper be like? She looks really cool. Is she more support oriented or more of a straight fighter. I assume (possibly incorrectly), that she is the Black Diamond Corps officer.

Answer:
Alex-117 is the Diamond Corps officer. Viper is an infiltration specialist. She excels at sabotaging the enemy's plans with abilities to move enemy tokens or marking enemy targets allowing friendlies to fire without line of sight.

Question:
Is it possible to do a small personality rundown on the knights (probably on the kickstarter as well)? They are obviously the stars of the story, and a little explanation of their back stories, motivations, and personalities would really help drum up excitement for the game. I would focus on the Relic Knights, but if you want to talk about the Questing Knights as well, I certainly wouldn't mind.

Answer:
We are working on primers for all the knights already—both fiction and tactics!

Question:
I like the sound of all that extra content, like battle reports, extra fiction, and developer diaries. How do you want to give out the information? Pdfs on your website, updates on kickstarter, or some other method? I'm just curious.

Answer:
Our plan is web content. If there is enough interest for it to be presented in a downloadable pdf format we'll explore that option as well.

Question:
Since we have to wait on the Relic Knight stuff and there is no use complaining about it..... is there any way we can get some more info on the Forgotten King expansion???

Answer:
Forgotten King is undergoing some last additions to really make it shine. We will have more information on it soon.

Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next