View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Disappointed in Scenario generation (Beta 3-13-17) 
Bottle Cap

I would first like to say that I'm new to the game and that my friend and I have only had 1 learning game so far which we didn't have enough time to complete. Starting the game I thought the Scenario generation was clever using 1 flip, but I later realized how limiting it is. Not counting Wild and Void additions, there are only 12 possible combination of primary and secondary goals since every Primary Esper is only associated with the two 2 sympathetic colors. Can we please have rules for generating more combinations.

March 22nd, 2017, 8:09 pm
Denizen

The original rules had two flips, one for each player, if you want more variety for casual play.

You could flip for primary, and then for secondary, using the main color from each flip.

Edit: On further examination, while I do like the idea to flip twice so that we can get all possible combinations of objectives, I do think that some objectives would need to be reconsidered due to concerns about overlapping.

March 22nd, 2017, 8:43 pm
Denizen

Actually if both players are playing the same objectives it doesn't matter if there is overlap between the objectives. It used to matter when one player could get an advantage by this overlap, but not when both have the same benefits.

March 24th, 2017, 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

You are correct that there's no inherent advantage to overlaps with shared scenarios; my concern the overlaps lead to a much less dynamic gameplay experience - they collapse the web of choices so much that there's not much of a reason to do anything but focus on the objectives due to the activation efficiency you gain.

March 24th, 2017, 4:17 am
Denizen

Overlap is only a problem for the Essence Conditions, its also a problem if you get Entropy primary and Essence secondary (which are both not possible currently).

Essence both require you Infuse, so 1 action triggers both.

Entropy primary requires destroying enemy objectives, which conflicts with Essence secondary which requires Infusing the same.

Addressing this for greater variety in conditions is worthwhile!

March 25th, 2017, 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Don't forget Corruption primary and Chaos secondary (also not currently possible), as they overlap if you're dropping sabotage tokens on enemy objectives.

March 25th, 2017, 4:11 am
Ninja Corps

Having the same scenarios for both players means there's parity in which objective markers each player has to interact with. In the original rules you'd get situations where Player A did not need his own objective markers at all, Player B's markers had to be interacted with by both. The result was that A could use his objective markers primarily as deployment suppression, while B had to carefully consider how to maximize his ability to interact with his objectives while minimizing A's ability to do the same. Dynamic? Yes. Frustrating for Player B? Very. Especially if Player A had the more mobile cadre.

March 25th, 2017, 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]