View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 16th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Scale change? 
Bottle Cap

Hi all

So, this is not really a question but rather I'm looking to see what people's opinions are:

I am admittedly very late to the party, lol, and I was not a part of the Kickstarter so I cannot comment on that aspect of it. Likewise I realize that some of the original Kickstarter models were off-scale from each other (a couple, anyway).

However, I recently found a comparison of the new sculpts/resin products and the older plastic ones (IE those still being sold and not yet recast). There is a HUGE difference between the lines. It's like they may as well be two completely different product lines, honestly. Models like Darkspace Hasami, Asger Faust, and Alex-117 are enormous compared to the original models. Yes, Darkspace Fiametta was freakishly large, and some of the sculpts are a bit smaller (Kisa, Sebastian), but in general by comparison, all of the original line are pretty in-scale with each other. Whereas the new ones are all at least a head taller, not to mention quite bulky.

So. I want to know how people feel about this change/trend, especially as it seems to be the direction the game is going (all new sculpts and possibly resculpts to be done in this new, larger scale). I ask because I know people disliked some of the smaller discrepancies (Sebastian, Prefects) before...now however, it seems most people are pleased/satisfied with these larger figures?

Personally, I think I just decided to quit before I get too into it lol. I have a Cerci and SSP force now, and I may get a third for variety, but I'm going to stick to the old sculpts and try to keep everything in-scale. It will look odd and tiny if I play anyone with mostly new stuff, and it will mean I never get any new cool models, but... I hate, HATE the difference. Fiametta was the only model of the old line I thought 'mm, nope.' Now...it's like, again, two totally separate scales!

One pet peeve is that the new sculpts are not even in scale with the game's stated scale lol. They've moved to 35mm, Kingdom Death being the only other models i can think of at that size, whereas the originals were clearly 28-30.

Thoughts? Personally I'm disappointed, and I guess I won't be buying any more RK :( Which makes me sad, cus I love the look of the new models.

January 25th, 2017, 12:42 am
Minion

Well I haven't bought stuff since the KS so I can't comment specifically on changes since then. However I will say that the KS stuff I had were bizzarely portioned. Some characters were noticeably in a different scale to others. I think the minis that were originally available in metal long before the KS were a bit smaller than the new plastic stuff.

I think it's a big FU to the players to change scales now. However, that being said, I think overall the game will be better if at the same time, all minis are the same scale. I guess everyone on the old scale(s) just get shafted while they transition? Not sure.

January 25th, 2017, 1:25 am
Ninja Corps

A lot of things from the Cool Mini or Not era is out of scale to some degree. CMON published the game designed by Soda Pop Miniatures. The minis came in boxes. All of the current things come in clamshell packaging and is made out of different material.

Now that SPM is not with CMON, but with Ninja Division (for a long while now) John Cadice said resculpts are coming and the old stuff will be in scale with the new things. Relic Knights 2.0 is in the pipeline and the 2.0 Kickstarter for a 2 player starter set with radiant models will be released.

Relic Knights will get a breath of fresh air and come out swinging.

"My wife lets me keep all of the miniatures she doesn't know about."

January 25th, 2017, 1:47 am
Ninja Corps

shoitaan wrote:
Well I haven't bought stuff since the KS so I can't comment specifically on changes since then. However I will say that the KS stuff I had were bizzarely portioned. Some characters were noticeably in a different scale to others. I think the minis that were originally available in metal long before the KS were a bit smaller than the new plastic stuff.

I think it's a big FU to the players to change scales now. However, that being said, I think overall the game will be better if at the same time, all minis are the same scale. I guess everyone on the old scale(s) just get shafted while they transition? Not sure.

It's not really an FU. If they need to fix the scale problem, then they need to fix it. The only option that wouldn't be an "FU" to the original players would be to make sure they release every model in 2 or 3 different scales so everyone, with every scale, can get the models and have them match the small handful of models they had previously...and to that for infinity until the game has ended. That seems _slightly_ unreasonable. It's far more reasonable to, by the second major round of releases, have everything on the same scale, work on remaking the older stuff, and not disallow the older stuff that's not the same scale. Some people (myself included) aren't exactly that worried about the size differences for the most part. But, the people that are extremely sensitive to that can get the rescaled resculpts of the models that are most important to them, when they come around.

January 25th, 2017, 4:32 am
Minion

Usagi wrote:
shoitaan wrote:

It's not really an FU. If they need to fix the scale problem, then they need to fix it. The only option that wouldn't be an "FU" to the original players would be to make sure they release every model in 2 or 3 different scales so everyone, with every scale, can get the models and have them match the small handful of models they had previously...and to that for infinity until the game has ended. That seems _slightly_ unreasonable. It's far more reasonable to, by the second major round of releases, have everything on the same scale, work on remaking the older stuff, and not disallow the older stuff that's not the same scale. Some people (myself included) aren't exactly that worried about the size differences for the most part. But, the people that are extremely sensitive to that can get the rescaled resculpts of the models that are most important to them, when they come around.

I probably chose my words poorly as they didn’t get across my meaning. An FU would imply an almost personal or direct attack and this is definitely not that.

I completely agree with SPM’s decision to bring the scales to line. The game can’t be taken as a quality product without that. I just find it extremely regrettable that backers of the original KS are stuck with the hodge podge. As you say, it may not bother some people. It only bothers me while I’m painting but on the TT, it won’t matter as much as the bases are what become important. Plus in an active battlefield, they'll be spaced far enough apart that you shouldn't be easily able to tell. Can’t say the fully painted army will make my display cabinet though as they’d look quite odd when actually placed beside each other in their weird scales.

January 25th, 2017, 5:19 am
Ninja Corps

Fair enough. It's also important to remember that a lot of these problems should likely fall on CMON's shoulders. They did an objectively terrible job hosting the kickstarter for this. I believe the production was under their purview as well. It's actually the reason I avoid them, particularly on kickstarter, but almost entirely otherwise as well. the Relic Knight kickstarter showed me how little they care for their product and customer both. Everything produced under Ninja Division for Relic knights has been high quality, consistently.

January 25th, 2017, 5:43 am
Mini-Boss

With the announcement of the 2.0 kickstarter launching in a few weeks, it looks like a majority of the line is either getting resculted or discontinued. Overall I agree that the best thing for the game going forward is to have everything on the same scale. I also love the extra detail they can get in the slightly larger models they've been releasing in resin. I backed the original 100%, and am a little annoyed that I'm going to be re-buying some of my favorite models, but I fully acknowledge that it's a personal choice for how I play. I know it's not the OP's intent, but the biggest thing that we need to avoid as a community is shaming the people that play with the old scale or a mix. It won't be healthy for your local group or the game in general. And given enough time, very few original scale minis will be seen in the wild. (As for me, a lot of my 1.0 stuff will wind up as loaners, prizes and painting tutorial peices...)

January 26th, 2017, 4:06 am
Minion

Major Glitch wrote:
With the announcement of the 2.0 kickstarter launching in a few weeks, it looks like a majority of the line is either getting resculted or discontinued. Overall I agree that the best thing for the game going forward is to have everything on the same scale. I also love the extra detail they can get in the slightly larger models they've been releasing in resin. I backed the original 100%, and am a little annoyed that I'm going to be re-buying some of my favorite models, but I fully acknowledge that it's a personal choice for how I play. I know it's not the OP's intent, but the biggest thing that we need to avoid as a community is shaming the people that play with the old scale or a mix. It won't be healthy for your local group or the game in general. And given enough time, very few original scale minis will be seen in the wild. (As for me, a lot of my 1.0 stuff will wind up as loaners, prizes and painting tutorial peices...)

Just look at the warhammer community, there having the old, sometimes fugly, models are seen as a badge of honour. Shows that you've been in the game for a bit and are a true veteran.

January 26th, 2017, 3:06 pm
Denizen

Just because I have seen various comments and questions I took these 2 photos that show a good selection of the new resin models.

Pretty confident that the scale issue is pretty much done and dusted with the new models.

Second picture gives a couple of the older models to compare things to as well, in case you don't have the new models yourself to compare with.

February 1st, 2017, 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Minion

What's the model all the way to the left? I don't recognise her... though at a guess it looks like Ryoko and Senketsu from Kill la Kill. Did I miss a cosplay unit release somewhere?

February 2nd, 2017, 10:05 am
Bottle Cap

Yeah, that's cosplay Hasami. She was only available at GenCon, though I believe she was intended to be eventually released along with cosplay Candy.

(Here's a BoW link: http://www.beastsofwar.com/relic-knight ... t-gen-con/)

February 2nd, 2017, 10:13 am
Mini-Boss

If they follow a similar format to the first KS, I expect DS Hasami will be a stretch goal.

February 2nd, 2017, 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]