View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2017, 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Beta Blowhards: Unstable Nitro 
Denizen

The Unstable Nitro upgrade seems to live up to the unit's name, or at the very least be extraordinarily questionable at best.

Unstable Nitro: Before the game begins Flip 3. If no [chaos] is flipped the blowhards suffer damage 8. If at least 1 [chaos] is flipped then place 3 AoE tokens anywhere on the table. Each AoE is a Debuff. Whenever and enemy unit enters or starts their activation within one of these area they suffer Damage 4.

Firstly, I discovered a typo (it should be ‘an enemy unit’ not ‘and enemy unit’), and secondly, why would a reasonable player risk this upgrade?

Not only are you paying 2 additional points, but if you don’t luck out, you lose a whole guy and leave a second at 1 HP.

I’m all for big risk and big reward . . . but this seems pretty crazy even by the chaos faction’s standards.

March 15th, 2017, 1:38 am
Denizen

On the other hand, if you succeed, you get to place 3 tokens wherever you want, before either player even places objectives. The sheer amount of control that grants you over how your opponent can set up is frankly frightening in implication. Also, unlike the Proximity Mine boost or similar damaging AoEs from other units, these AoEs last until cleansed (Or similar effect), meaning an engaged unit is going to take damage every activation.

(Clarification is needed as to what the "beginning" of the game is. I am assuming deployment is the "beginning", but I could be wrong - and I know tournaments handle the how the time allotted for deployment is counted differently in different games. Even if the game "begins" after deployment, the ability to force your opponent to waste an early activation to clear the AoE or take damage is pretty strong.)

My mind is swimming with ideas, surrounding an unarmored enemy squad (recover won't stop a model from becoming red mist if they have low hp), dropping them in choke points to force movement or wasted actions to remove them, defending friendly objectives... I'd want to test it out, but with smart positioning of the AoEs, I think this upgrade could be very strong, especially in larger games where risking losing 4 points of units at the start (or crippling a 6 point squad) would have lower impact. I agree that it's absurdly risky in smaller games.

March 15th, 2017, 2:25 am
Denizen

It seems no matter what happens one player is ending up with an impressively negative play experience.

I think that even in larger games, the possibility of opening up with killing off half of a squad and giving the opponent an easy unit kill point is a questionable one, and it will open the way for tilt to set in, so I think most players would walk away from the experience sour.

If the beginning of the game is defined as after deployment, it offers a silly amount of tempo and board control which will annoy the opponent who has to deal with the random AoE's.

I think that the ability can easily be filed under the 'interesting, but not fun' category of things as currently being explored by the designers.

March 15th, 2017, 2:32 am
Denizen

I agree on the effect it could have on player experience. I think if you were to change it to remove the randomness and reduce the number of AoEs you placed to one (two feels too powerful), then it becomes more of a speed bump than something that could actually affect the early game. At that point, it would make more sense to use the saved points elsewhere in your cadre. I also think that if the number of AoEs remained the same, and the risk to taking the upgrade was reduced (Either more card flips or less damage on your unit), the upgrade would be a no-brainer due to it's potential affect.

If a unit could officer-link with them (and the ability happened after depolyment) you could mitigate the damage with that mechanic, which might change the cost-benefit analysis.

Testing is needed, but theorycraft suggests this upgrade is problematic, especially from the standpoint of the opposing player (Your enemy starting with a damaged unit is likely less fun than having your entire early game destroyed by luck.)

March 15th, 2017, 3:03 am
Denizen

Truth be told I think the direction of Unstable Nitro as a whole might be problematic.

Being in beta, there's plenty they can try with it. Perhaps dropping it down to 1 AoE and lowering the damage to 4 would be enough. It still feels like a hard sell since its extra points as an upgrade.

But I think that a good change could potentially be an aura which has Kate's old esper expression. Something along the lines of while performing a range attack within 3" of one of the Blowhards you may flip [x], where x is the number of blowhards in the unit (so between 1-4), and gain +1 damage per chaos symbol, but -1 damage per law symbol.

March 15th, 2017, 3:41 am
Denizen

I'm not a fan, but I considered the following list for 35 points;

Vance + DS Kisa + Minimum Blowhards with Upgrade + 5 Corsairs with Upgrade

If the Blowhard blows up, meh you effectively lost 2 Corsairs, if it doesn't you get 3 AoEs and a reserve Minion squad.

March 21st, 2017, 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I think that even in larger games,

:D :D :D

June 28th, 2017, 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]