View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Planning To Get Into Game Need List Help 
Dungeon Boss

So, even though I told myself I wouldn't get into the game until Void Break, depending on how certain things go in the near future, I might get into the game significantly sooner. If that is the case, I want to have a list ready so I can buy the things I need, and not pick up anything I'll never use. However, I don't really have the best understanding of the rules, so list construction, as well as which units to choose, eludes me. Ideally, I want a 50 (or less) point list using Jeanne Romme and Isabeau Durand. Otherwise, anything else in the list is up to your discretion, as I have no understanding of what is good or viable.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

May 18th, 2015, 10:46 pm
Denizen

Sure, I'd be willing to help!

First off, Isabeau and Jeanne are both Excellent choices. A couple of notes:

Isabeau Durand is a fantastic healer, and since her healing aura affects herself, a surprisingly excellent tank as well. With Font of Life up, a Block, and her own Healing Aura, she is basically unkillable. She's really great, and I stick in her pretty much every list.

Jeanne is an excellent objective runner and support Knight. You might end up using her a lot for objectives, which is probably fine. Hearts and Minds, her compel, can be really nasty if used on an enemy squad.

Your list is currently at 23 Pts, so you have 27 to work with. My suggestions include:

Darkspace Fiametta (10Pts): She's almost literally Fiametta, but she works for Shattered Sword. She can blast away enemies without Line of Sight, enemies near her take damage, and she can make damaging AOEs that block LOS. She's pretty fantastic. While she can be a little squishy and is pretty esper hungry, I've never really regretted taking her.

You're looking to save some cash, I would suggest: Navarre Hauer. You get him with Jeanne, and he is a beast. He has a lot of strong attacks and can be a useful objective grabber. Normally I think he can be a little too expensive, costing 14 pts, but when I do take him he usually performs pretty well.

With those 4 Units, you have a 47 Pts list. While it may seem strange to have such a small Model Count, in Relic Knights smaller Armies can prove better. The game is built to emphasize heroes, hence the activation system. You can activate your "Coolest" options more often as a result, and your opponent will have more trouble getting points for killing them.

However, I oftentimes like to take more. My suggestions include:

Swordsworn: These are our "Generic Unit", and they're excellent. They have a nice ranged attack that can deal a lot of damage thanks to coordinated attack, a solid melee attack, 2 armor, and a nice Block. They're great in a lot of scenarios, and a bargain for 7 Points (for a full unit). They also come in the Starter Set, which I suggest getting sooner or later. The token set, card set, and rulebook all make it a great deal.

Paragons make pretty good objective runners and have high attack, but be aware that they can die pretty easily as well. Still, with 3 Armor and Aegis they can survive a good bit, and are likely to deal a lot of damage on the way out. Like with Navarre, exploit their Flight as much as possible.

You get both Swordsworn and Paragons in the Starter box, so it makes for a good, cheaper way to start off (or even get once Void Break comes out).

You could also use Purifiers. They're great looking models, and kind of serve as "Mini-Isabeaus". While I like them from time to time, with Isabeau you oftentimes don't need more healing. Still, if AOEs or healing is an issue, they're great to have around.

With this, two decent lists are:

Jeanne Romee and Gallant (14 pts)
Isabeau Durand (9 Pts)
Darkspace Fiametta (10 Pts)
Swordsworn x5 (7 pts)
Paragons x2 (9 pts)
Total: 49 Pts (and you take one point of boosts)

Jeanne Romee and Gallant (14 Pts)
Isabeau Durand (9 pts)
Darkspace Fiametta (10 pts)
Navarre Hauer (14 Pts)
Total: 47 Pts (and you take 3 points of boosts)

While Austrican is a great looking model, I've found he doesn't perform well. Cordelia Clean (a Radiant Unique) is amazing as well, but she's a bit overpowered, so I might not suggest her all the time. Aspirants and the Castellan are both very useful, but you'd have to proxy them.

Does that help?

May 18th, 2015, 11:11 pm
Ninja Corps

The swordsworn unit is probably the best "generic" squad in the game. They have melee and ranged attacks, that are both cheap and effective. They have very solid base armor. And, they have a guard that can guard against all (non overpowered) kinds of attacks. If you combine them with some of the buffs that shattered sword can throw out, along with a fortified token on an objective, they become a very hard to deal with sentry unit.

I wouldn't suggest using Cordelia, just because she is really the single most (arguably only really) overpowered unit it the game right now. She just kind of sucks fun out of the game...but if you're playing hardcore, cut throat stuff, go for it, she's great. :P

I also wouldn't necessarily use the purifiers. They gel will Isabeau, with her being the officer for them. But, the effects of the officer ability are almost never actually used, when it comes to them. Both the purifiers and Isabeau are healing/support units and the officer ability boosts offensive ability. They are very cool looking minis. But, with Isabeau on your team, they don't add much more.

May 18th, 2015, 11:34 pm
Dungeon Boss

Well I thank you both for your help. I especially like to hear that my two favorite models are excellent choices. :D The two lists look great, though I think I'd end up using the first list more than the second. Both the Swordsworn and Paragons are fantastic looking models, and I'm not too keen on the idea of an all hero force, even though you say Relic Knights is slightly skewed towards it. I do also like to see that Fiametta is in the list; I was considering making her a requirement for the list, but not knowing her costs or powers I didn't think it best, but you proved me wrong. :lol:

As for Cordelia, I wasn't considering using her. she's an excellent model, and I'll surely pick her up at some point, but I have heard a lot of her being stupidly overpowered, and I am not much of a power gamer, so I decided to shy away from her for now. Even considering that, I might pick her up for more hardcore, tournament play down the line, so do either of you have a list using her, Jeane, and possibly Isabuea, if that is possible?

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

May 19th, 2015, 12:18 am
Ninja Corps

I know i used Jeanne and Cordelia in the same team once...the game was basically just the two of them. Cordelia was infusing objectives and Jeanne was running tokens, and it wasn't even funny how hard my opponent got beat by just those two models.

May 19th, 2015, 12:22 am
Dungeon Boss

Usagi wrote:
I know i used Jeanne and Cordelia in the same team once...the game was basically just the two of them. Cordelia was infusing objectives and Jeanne was running tokens, and it wasn't even funny how hard my opponent got beat by just those two models.

Ah...erm...well...that's kinda off-putting. Here's to hoping that Cordelia is balanced out in Void Break, then. I'm not sure I want to beat someone that hard, unless I really want to win a tournament. And doing so might earn myself a bad name...

May 19th, 2015, 12:33 am
Ninja Corps

To get into somewhat specific issues with the current Cordelia, and why she's OP and not fun to use (and still trying to keep it understandable by a newer player). She has Channel esper, which lets her gain one held esper when she activates and isn't that overpowered, and makes 100% sense for her fluff. That added to the rest, starts to get ridiculous though. Both of her attacks are relatively cheap (when you add in the free held esper activation) and are both substantial line attacks. The thing with line attacks is that they can be directed at an opposing objective, or other thing that has no defense. With her speed and ability to fly, it's super easy for her to get to any side, or angle, of an enemy objective and use these cheap line attacks to hit multiple opponents with an indefensible attack (only the original target has a chance to use attack prevention against lines, and objectives have none).

An even bigger issue is her defense. It is irrefutably the best defensive skill in the game. It's a dirt cheap, automatically overpower, effective against all types of attack, redirect that sends the attack to opponents...nothing else even approaches this level of efficiency. It basically makes her immune to attack. No one is going to want to risk an almost certain cause of attacking themself. This, again, combined with channel esper, making the defense even more reliable, is just bonkers. It means the only attacks, in the game, that are anywhere close to effective, are ones that say they may not be redirected or attack prevention can't be used. Those attacks are few, at best. You could try and catch her in a line attack, but those are also rare. Since she has innate healing through creation initiate, as well, she can self sustain even from the very,very rare instances of taking any actual damage. And all of that comes in at only a 13 point cost for the figure. That's only one point more than Amelial, who is ostensibly her void counterpart, game balance wise (and who, I believe, is actually a interesting and fun model to field).

So, any one of those issues would really just make her a "darn good" unit (except maybe the defense...that is just straight up overpowered). But, all of them together...it's insane.

May 19th, 2015, 2:00 am
Dungeon Boss

Certainly sounds insane. And a crying shame too; she has such a good model, but I don't think I'd use her until she's balanced out, unless I sorely want to win.

May 19th, 2015, 2:17 am
Ninja Corps

I agree on those first two lists (fantastic) and all Usagi and Claymore65 suggested.

I applaud your choice of the list with the units. It'll teach you the full rules quicker.

As far as CC goes, I will only use her in tourneys vs opponents who I know have her in their list(s), just to balance it out. And unless I'm getting beat bad, I'll take her out of my queue after I take (the other) her out of their Cadre, if you know what I mean. 8-)

May 19th, 2015, 9:23 pm
Dungeon Boss

Cool Breeze wrote:
I agree on those first two lists (fantastic) and all Usagi and Claymore65 suggested.

I applaud your choice of the list with the units. It'll teach you the full rules quicker.

As far as CC goes, I will only use her in tourneys vs opponents who I know have her in their list(s), just to balance it out. And unless I'm getting beat bad, I'll take her out of my queue after I take (the other) her out of their Cadre, if you know what I mean. 8-)

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions of your own?

May 19th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Ninja Corps

Daemonforge wrote:
Cool Breeze wrote:

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions of your own?

Not given your Jeanne & Isabeau requirements. Claymore65's lists are solid.

My only suggestion is definitely get the Battlebox. Solid Questing Knight (Francis Malory), solid units (Swordsworn & Paragons), necessary tokens and cards, and useful dashboard. I recommend trying Francis as well as Jeanne. He works better with my playstyle, but Jeanne works better with my wife's. And my Shattered Swords are hers because she's always loved the Knights-in-shining-armor look and blue is her favorite color. The latter reason (faction color) is why I don't get to play Cerci (pink) and Black Diamond (purple) in the summer months when my daughters are home from university. :x So my opponents see a lot of Kisa & Fiametta in the hot, hot summers! :lol: 8-)

May 19th, 2015, 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]