View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Paragons are the issue here 
Minion

My friend plays shattered swords. Unfortunately he HATES (yes in all caps) the Paragons. Been arguing this with him for a while now. His biggest gripe is that "they have those big freaking shields and have no defensive ability". He then goes on to say even the base line troops have it and that everything they have is to expensive to use.

Can someone please help me argue this as I think they are boss and looking to make this my second faction.... kinda want to field them just to make him eat his words

October 23rd, 2014, 2:44 pm
Minion

............ side note...... I want to paint them yellow with white/black checkers and use them as my taxi unit for objectives :D

October 23rd, 2014, 2:45 pm
Mini-Boss

They have good mobility. Flying peed 8 with a charge (consider charging an enemy objective if you need that extra movement) Is a good way to run objectives. They have no defensive abilities but high innate armor that demands high value attacks be brought against them to have an impact.

I like to use them to draw fire. Since my opponent knows I can't guard or redirect he or she knows the esper investment is worth it. This is good when you have your own big attacker coming up in the queue since usually the same cards that pay for big attacks also pay for big defenses.
Also remember that the paladin player wants one of his units to be amazing early game and be dead by midgame to mark the accused. Paragons are pretty good at this task. All their scenario play tends to get people's attention.

A paragon's best friend is a secure token and a shield generator about 6" away from that objective. This gives paragons a big bubble of +1 armor and a reasonable bubble of +2.

With all this said, I am concerned that the forthcoming castellian may outshine them. That guys has more health and blocks LOS better. I suppose he may have more trouble navigating terrain.

October 27th, 2014, 2:10 am
Minion

Dais wrote:
They have good mobility. Flying peed 8 with a charge

Hehe, autocorrect :)

Anyway, high speed is a very good thing. Additionally, with Paragons being a squad, the slow follow-up move is not as much of a disadvantage for token moving or multiple objective grabbing as it might be for an independent model (like the Castellan). They can use their initial move to move one model into the target objective, while other models move towards the next objective or the drop off point. By stringing out the squad they can get more effective movement than a single model with greater overall speed.

I think the threat of this speed, combined with the ability to die relatively quickly, is also good for getting the Faction objective started. Throw them at a somewhat easy to kill opponent (not the opposing Knight if you can help it) so that you either rack up victory points by killing said soft unit or get your faction objective started by having them killed (preferably by the soft enemy unit).

October 27th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Mini-Boss

One thing you want to consider is your faction objective. It is really tough for Paladins to pull it off if they're doing everything they can to make sure that not one of their brothers in arms goes down.

Paragons are squishier than the characters, but that's a good thing sometimes.

October 29th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

I was a bit upset that they didn't have a defensive ability as well but after playing quite a bit with my starter, they're pretty burly. Able to jump into battle from quite a distance and dish out a good chunk of damge. And with 6 health each and 3 armour, they can usually take 2 hits before dieing so, when they do jump in, their target better have some defense or they're going to be hurting.

November 6th, 2014, 1:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Bottle Cap

Paragons are our shoot n scoot models.

If you can get them to the edge of a hill/cliff/building they can simply move 2 inch into LOS, PEW PEW, and then secondary movement back out of LOS. It lets them harass and/or soften up a unit or solo before charging in.

I sometimes take 1 just for some speed for scenario or as a throw away to trigger my Faction Scenario.

I have been meaning to try them with NH and JR&G for a fluffly paragon build.

December 10th, 2014, 1:53 pm
Minion

Well Sunday I was able to play with them, and even though it was only a two man squad (I REALLY wanted 3 but points said no, stupid math) they did really well. With Fly and the jump ability they can get to where they need to, making things like secure and sabotage missions easier.

Fielded an Esper condencer. Hopefully I did not do this wrong, but, I activated Quill in base to base with it and netted him an extra Esper. Then used that with the one he generated to transfer both to the Paragons. They activated next with 2 Esper, helping them dish out the damage on charges later

December 19th, 2014, 5:09 pm
Bottle Cap

Nomad79 wrote:
Well Sunday I was able to play with them, and even though it was only a two man squad (I REALLY wanted 3 but points said no, stupid math) they did really well. With Fly and the jump ability they can get to where they need to, making things like secure and sabotage missions easier.

Fielded an Esper condencer. Hopefully I did not do this wrong, but, I activated Quill in base to base with it and netted him an extra Esper. Then used that with the one he generated to transfer both to the Paragons. They activated next with 2 Esper, helping them dish out the damage on charges later

Sounds Like you used the Esper Condenser correctly.

Its even more fun to give the 2 to Sebastian and then have Sebastian activated next to an EC and BOOM, all the Armor.

I believe Paragons are Max 2 guys per squad. I would Have to revisit their card.

Glad you liked them. They have their uses for sure, and they are much more difficult to use than other things in our faction. When you can shoot n scoot them, its really good.

December 19th, 2014, 5:47 pm
Minion

I want to field them with Navar Hower since he is their officer. See how they work together. Max squad size is 3

December 19th, 2014, 8:47 pm
Ninja Corps

Paragons are defiantly max squad size of 2.

December 19th, 2014, 9:12 pm
Minion

Could have sworn they were 3

December 19th, 2014, 9:49 pm
Bottle Cap

Nomad79 wrote:
Could have sworn they were 3

Max of 3 and 2 come in a box would be an uber d move lol. They would rock at 3 thought. 50pts they are expensive if the game was ever played higher i could see vanguarding with them and trying to get use out of aegis.

December 22nd, 2014, 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]