View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 18th, 2017, 4:46 pm



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Shattered Sword Opening Moves 
Author Message
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2014, 11:44 am
Posts: 46
Opening Moves is a term gamer's use for the first few turns of the game. It is sometimes unpacking. While due to this games deployment it doesn't necessarily have the same unpacking as Warmachine I feel that their are still things that should be done early game to set you up for the mid and late game.

While I feel that those things exist I am not entirely sure what they are.

My question and goal for the discussion here is what are you guys doing for your first few activations.
Are you try to get to scenario prescience established?
Are you starting off the attrition battle as fast as possible to try and set a tempo?
Are you placing AOEs and if so which ones? - The AOEs seem super strong, I have a hard time using my only action each activation to place an AOE but I can see where this would be game changing later on and can potentially set your opponent on their back food since they will have to play catch up and try to cleanse things.

I am interested to hear what you guys and gals think about this topic and look forward to seeing what you all add. I know the game is very new but their seems to be a lot of tactical depth to it which is something I really enjoy.

-Bergz

_________________
Berger, BergerFett on the Forums


August 19th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: June 28th, 2014, 3:01 pm
Posts: 323
I tend to have at least 1 esper condenser in my list. My opening move is generally my cypher activating next to it so that it has 2 esper. I then transfer it to two seperate units (not my knight) to get them ready. My second activation inbariably is a law initiate who strategically drops a remain where you are to screw my opponent's activations.

_________________
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." -Sherlock Holmes

The Noh Empire is not a melee-centric force.


August 19th, 2014, 1:07 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: August 17th, 2014, 5:11 am
Posts: 2
Seeing as I only have the starter set right now, I've always started with getting my Swordsworn squad positioned where they can do a lot of damage/attract fire at the start. Mallory would be the one moving around trying to get objectives, while Paragons stay out of LOS ready to jump in wherever they might be more helpful.

I like that start with remain as you are though.


August 19th, 2014, 9:08 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2014, 11:44 am
Posts: 46
All good advice. I am meeting at the LGS tonight for a game, I hope to have some more insight afterwards.

_________________
Berger, BergerFett on the Forums


August 20th, 2014, 11:34 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 24th, 2012, 10:04 pm
Posts: 276
Location: Kansas City
Now that I've finally gotten a few games in, I've found Isabeau's "Font of Life" ability from Creation master to be invaluable for attrition. Using that at a key point early on is something I've grown VERY fond of doing.


August 22nd, 2014, 2:04 am
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2014, 11:44 am
Posts: 46
Claymore65 wrote:
Now that I've finally gotten a few games in, I've found Isabeau's "Font of Life" ability from Creation master to be invaluable for attrition. Using that at a key point early on is something I've grown VERY fond of doing.


I will have to revisit it and see what it does. I haven't committed the esper abilities to memory yet(i think they are called esper abilities).

_________________
Berger, BergerFett on the Forums


August 22nd, 2014, 11:36 am
Profile
Moderator Ninja
User avatar

Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 2:57 pm
Posts: 1291
Location: New Zealand
BergerFett wrote:
Claymore65 wrote:
Now that I've finally gotten a few games in, I've found Isabeau's "Font of Life" ability from Creation master to be invaluable for attrition. Using that at a key point early on is something I've grown VERY fond of doing.
I will have to revisit it and see what it does. I haven't committed the esper abilities to memory yet(i think they are called esper abilities).
General Actions.

Font of Life is an Buff AOE, costs 5: Units that begin or end their activation in the area heal 3.

_________________
a fear of numbers


August 22nd, 2014, 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2014, 11:44 am
Posts: 46
hausdorff space wrote:
BergerFett wrote:
Claymore65 wrote:
Now that I've finally gotten a few games in, I've found Isabeau's "Font of Life" ability from Creation master to be invaluable for attrition. Using that at a key point early on is something I've grown VERY fond of doing.
I will have to revisit it and see what it does. I haven't committed the esper abilities to memory yet(i think they are called esper abilities).
General Actions.

Font of Life is an Buff AOE, costs 5: Units that begin or end their activation in the area heal 3.


Thanks. Ya that seems good for sure.

Her utility is good.

my 50 right now is Cross, Rook, Isabaue, Swordsworn, Purifiers, 1 Paragon, 2 Esper Condensers.

_________________
Berger, BergerFett on the Forums


August 22nd, 2014, 6:59 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2014, 11:44 am
Posts: 46
Last night I did the Rook activates next to Esper Condenser gets 2 esper, transfers 1 to cross 1 to Swordsworn. Then Cross activated got 1 from seeing Rook and 1 from his esper condenser. its gaurenteed armor and a solid start. this may always be my play with that list. 3rd activation maybe purifiers to drop an early sanctify aoe.

_________________
Berger, BergerFett on the Forums


August 28th, 2014, 6:38 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.