View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 18th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Shattered Sword Opening Moves 
Bottle Cap

Opening Moves is a term gamer's use for the first few turns of the game. It is sometimes unpacking. While due to this games deployment it doesn't necessarily have the same unpacking as Warmachine I feel that their are still things that should be done early game to set you up for the mid and late game.

While I feel that those things exist I am not entirely sure what they are.

My question and goal for the discussion here is what are you guys doing for your first few activations.
Are you try to get to scenario prescience established?
Are you starting off the attrition battle as fast as possible to try and set a tempo?
Are you placing AOEs and if so which ones? - The AOEs seem super strong, I have a hard time using my only action each activation to place an AOE but I can see where this would be game changing later on and can potentially set your opponent on their back food since they will have to play catch up and try to cleanse things.

I am interested to hear what you guys and gals think about this topic and look forward to seeing what you all add. I know the game is very new but their seems to be a lot of tactical depth to it which is something I really enjoy.

-Bergz

August 19th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Denizen

I tend to have at least 1 esper condenser in my list. My opening move is generally my cypher activating next to it so that it has 2 esper. I then transfer it to two seperate units (not my knight) to get them ready. My second activation inbariably is a law initiate who strategically drops a remain where you are to screw my opponent's activations.

The Noh Empire is not a melee-centric force.

August 19th, 2014, 1:07 pm
Bottle Cap

Seeing as I only have the starter set right now, I've always started with getting my Swordsworn squad positioned where they can do a lot of damage/attract fire at the start. Mallory would be the one moving around trying to get objectives, while Paragons stay out of LOS ready to jump in wherever they might be more helpful.

I like that start with remain as you are though.

August 19th, 2014, 9:08 pm
Bottle Cap

All good advice. I am meeting at the LGS tonight for a game, I hope to have some more insight afterwards.

August 20th, 2014, 11:34 am
Denizen

Now that I've finally gotten a few games in, I've found Isabeau's "Font of Life" ability from Creation master to be invaluable for attrition. Using that at a key point early on is something I've grown VERY fond of doing.

August 22nd, 2014, 2:04 am
Bottle Cap

Claymore65 wrote:
Now that I've finally gotten a few games in, I've found Isabeau's "Font of Life" ability from Creation master to be invaluable for attrition. Using that at a key point early on is something I've grown VERY fond of doing.

I will have to revisit it and see what it does. I haven't committed the esper abilities to memory yet(i think they are called esper abilities).

August 22nd, 2014, 11:36 am
Moderator Ninja

BergerFett wrote:
Claymore65 wrote:
I will have to revisit it and see what it does. I haven't committed the esper abilities to memory yet(i think they are called esper abilities).
General Actions.

Font of Life is an Buff AOE, costs 5: Units that begin or end their activation in the area heal 3.

August 22nd, 2014, 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

hausdorff space wrote:
BergerFett wrote:
Claymore65 wrote:
General Actions.

Font of Life is an Buff AOE, costs 5: Units that begin or end their activation in the area heal 3.

Thanks. Ya that seems good for sure.

Her utility is good.

my 50 right now is Cross, Rook, Isabaue, Swordsworn, Purifiers, 1 Paragon, 2 Esper Condensers.

August 22nd, 2014, 6:59 pm
Bottle Cap

Last night I did the Rook activates next to Esper Condenser gets 2 esper, transfers 1 to cross 1 to Swordsworn. Then Cross activated got 1 from seeing Rook and 1 from his esper condenser. its gaurenteed armor and a solid start. this may always be my play with that list. 3rd activation maybe purifiers to drop an early sanctify aoe.

August 28th, 2014, 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]