View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2017, 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Nithrock's painting and modeling thread 
Denizen

I figured I would start a thread for my painting and modeling, to keep me motivated and hopefully get feedback to help me improve.

As I finish models I will put a link to the post with the finished model, so if anyone wants to look at anything in particular they can skip from this post to that model.

Finished so far:

Radiant
None

Doctrine
None

Cerci Speed Circuit
Princess Malya + Mr Tomn
Pacers
Pit Crew

Shattered Sword Paladins
None

Void
None

Black Diamond
Diamondback

Noh Empire
None

Star Nebula Corsairs
None

Markers
None

Terrain
None

Current progress on teaching cadres
Doctrine
Cerci Speed Circuit
Shattered Sword Paladins
Black Diamond
Noh Empire
Star Nebula Corsairs

Last edited by Nithrock on November 7th, 2016, 5:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

September 21st, 2016, 9:11 am
Denizen

First up are the boost markers.
I wanted to have a way to distinguish which faction they belonged to, but painting the bases the faction colours would mean they weren't as readily interchangable between factions. So I decided to magnetise them onto the numbered tokens for each faction.

Drilling a small hole into the bottom of the tokens allows me to sit a rare earth magnet flat, without affecting the number so the tokens can still be used as normal if they aren't being used for boosts.

Then each boost marker gets a magnet in the bottom as well, and being rare earth magnets they hold perfectly well even with half a token's thickness between the megnets.

The 4 boosts and 6 tokens shown are all that I have done so far. These were priority because these are the boosts from the teaching cadres I am working on. But now I can have them faction identified, and still only have to paint up a couple of each boost.

September 21st, 2016, 9:19 am
Denizen

First up on the painting front are a few Cerci units. Starting with the pacers. For some reason I decided pacers would look good in a turquise/teal colour. So I tried that.
When I painted these the other day it had been quite some time since I had painted last.

The base colour is a roughly 5:1 ratio of Cygnar blue:Necrotite green from the P3 range, drybrushed in Arcane blue. Pig iron for the metal.

September 21st, 2016, 9:50 am
Denizen

Next are the Pit Crew. I liked the colour of the pacers, so that became my Cerci base colour.
I'm not great at painting people. But they turned out OK. The bases certainly look better in person than they do in the photos though.

September 21st, 2016, 9:54 am
Denizen

And finally for this batch of Cerci are Malya and Tomn. Pretty happy with how they turned out overall. For the relic I figured I would use black pannels to break up the teal.

I painted Malya wearing Shorts with bare legs (making what is meant to be the top of her socks the bottom of her shorts) as the outfit seemed a bit impractical.

I had to use an esper crystal to get Mr Tomn onto his base, turns out there was one that his foot sits on perfectly.

September 21st, 2016, 10:03 am
Denizen

I love the blue you're using for cerci. Such a classic car color feeling. I also dig the cycling look that the princess has with the choice to go bare legs!

September 21st, 2016, 9:56 pm
Denizen

Major Glitch wrote:
I love the blue you're using for cerci. Such a classic car color feeling. I also dig the cycling look that the princess has with the choice to go bare legs!

Thanks. I was happy with the colour. And the cycling look kind of suits Malya, which is always a plus.

September 22nd, 2016, 10:45 am
Denizen

Diamondback progress.
I tried my hand at manually highlighting edges, to try things that aren't dry brushing.

Unsure about how to highlight the bright green to make it more than a flat colour. But reasonably happy with the grey outline for the black.

If anyone has any suggestions for making the green pop, that would be appreciated.

September 22nd, 2016, 10:48 am
Denizen

Nithrock wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions for making the green pop, that would be appreciated.

Try a darker color at the base of the blade, blending out to your green, then transition to an almost-white tint for the edges. Then you can streak it with lightning or create another effect on the blade (I'm planning on using a toothbrush to make a mottled, plasma-like effect when I get to the Diamondback).

September 22nd, 2016, 3:31 pm
Denizen

No painting progress since the last post, but teaching factions are almost completely built (at various stages of undercoat/grey plastic/painted)

Starting off with Black Diamond list

October 11th, 2016, 4:02 am
Denizen

Cerci

October 11th, 2016, 4:03 am
Denizen

Corsairs

October 11th, 2016, 4:03 am
Denizen

Shattered sword.
Still waiting on my star lancer to arrive to finish this one off.

October 11th, 2016, 4:04 am
Denizen

Noh empire.

Without realising I posed everyone so that the photo doesn't show any green stuff. The other sides of the hounds are all pretty heavily green stuffed around the leg joints as there were some fairly large gaps.

October 11th, 2016, 4:06 am
Denizen

Doctrine.
Ekhis also required some extensive green stuffing.

Does anyone have any idea how I am meant to attach the book to prefect veronica? I couldn't figure it out.

October 11th, 2016, 4:07 am
Minion

Nithrock wrote:
Shattered sword.
Still waiting on my star lancer to arrive to finish this one off.

Ah, so you have to improve a stand for one of your paladins too.

Do you have swordsworn and if so did you get a 'dancing' one and how do you plan to deal with it.

On a side note I need to post my work as well.

Good luck on your teaching sets.

October 11th, 2016, 1:28 pm
Denizen

Focslain wrote:
Ah, so you have to improve a stand for one of your paladins too.

Do you have swordsworn and if so did you get a 'dancing' one and how do you plan to deal with it.

Is this the one you mean by dacing swordsworn?

If it is then when it comes to those tiny pointed feet that clearly aren't going to stick to the base, I like to find an element I can put on the base that will run parallel to the foot to increase the surface area that I can attach to.

For the swordsworn and paragon in this picture I very deliberately picked those base inserts because they had an element that allowed me to attach the foot, whilst still keeping the correct pose and position on the base (not too far back or too far forward). However for Mr Tomn gaps between piping weren't going to be enough, so I added an esper crystal for him to jump off of.
If you dont have the kickstarter base inserts or weren't planning to use them you can add many other things to bases to help, such as rocks or small boxes or anything that fits your basing theme and provides a glue-able surface. It is probably easier to do if you arent using the base inserts as you can add elements that give you exactly the right surface and you can put them wherever you need them.

Hopefully that image is clear enough.

October 11th, 2016, 10:28 pm
Denizen

Focslain wrote:

Yeah you definitely should. The more people posting, the better! I always enjoy seeing other people's work.

And thanks.

October 11th, 2016, 10:30 pm
Minion

Yeah, that's the one.

I didn't have access to the textured bases though when I did mine. I'll post up what I did hopefully tomorrow. Hoping that the v2 sculpts don't have these types since it's neat but requires you to get new bases or get creative. Though the Noh sorceress was no walk in the park either.

October 12th, 2016, 1:17 pm
Denizen

Even with pinning, a handful of the original run are problematic. Suspect 7 was also fun to figure out.

October 12th, 2016, 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next