View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 28th, 2017, 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Small mistake made (Royal Wrecker) 
Bottle Cap

hey all. Was assembling my Royal Wrecker, and saw there were a few guides online. I was following one set of instructions that advised gluing the pilot in the cocpit first.....but disn't read the next step "while the glue hasn't set, posession the seat/hook underneath so the pilot is "sitting"

unfortunately the pilot is secured in her cockpit about half a centimeter too low for me to fit the "plug" on the hook seat in.

So my options are this

1.) use a hobby knife to try pry/chip the pilot out, the contact point where she si glued in is a bit small (just her !SODA! and small of back) so hoping the amount of damage wouldn't be too great

2.) use cold and/or heat to break the glue. not sure how flexible relic knight minis are, so advice on this is appreciated

3.) ignore the issue, chop the plus off the seat and glue it to the thigh guards, the Wrecker's pose means the bottom/connection of the seat would be barely visible....of course "I" would know

Any advice is appreciated

March 23rd, 2016, 7:59 pm
Mini-Boss

It depends on the exact pose which method would be better. I believe cutting or using heat to bend the plastic would both be easier than trying to break the glue.

March 25th, 2016, 9:29 am
Bottle Cap

How would you use heat?

March 25th, 2016, 6:06 pm
Ninja Corps

Hairdryer or close to boiling water. Personally I prefer the hairdryer method.

March 25th, 2016, 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

So expose it to a hairddryer on high heat and it will affect the glue (zap a gap in this case) without harming the plastic?

March 26th, 2016, 1:26 am
Ninja Corps

Actually no. The plastic will be very bendy while heated. It won't break the superglue bond. I may have misinterpreted your question. Did you want to know, how to use heat with the models or how said heat treatment is going to help with your problem?

March 26th, 2016, 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

yes I was wanting info on how heat/cold could be used to free my pilot from her seat

March 28th, 2016, 6:42 am
Denizen

Bathawk wrote:
yes I was wanting info on how heat/cold could be used to free my pilot from her seat

You may be able to heat, as Gotz suggested, then bend the torso down to gain easier access to the glue attachment point. Then carefully cut through that with a scalpel.
You may then again need heat to unbend the torso and reassemble.

Cold can also affect the glue making it brittle, so put it in the freezer for 10min then try to pry it apart.
I've tried this for removing bases from SDE minis. Most of the time it works, once I had a model snap at the ankle so go careful with this method, especially if its a thin piece of plastic.

I'd probably try the heat option first.

March 28th, 2016, 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]