View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2017, 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rob Jedi's Noh 
Minion

Hi there I'm just starting out on some Relic Knights waiting on my local shop to get a restock of the Noh starter set so I'm starting things off with the SDE Kasaro-To that I got from a friend who backed the kickstarter along with the other SDE figs and the Relic Knight version of him, also working on Amelial and Darkspace Rin.

December 2nd, 2014, 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Although the Relic Knight version of Kasaro-To goes together really easily with just a few bits of sprue needing to be snipped off there is a ridiculous amount of work in cleaning off all the mold lines and then a hell of a fight to get the Foo Dog to actually fit on it's base. Having looked after the fact it seems everyone else makes an oversized base topper so there is room for it's wide stance to fit. Me I used hot water and brute force to bend the legs into position to stand within the base size. The only areas I found needed some putty work was one side of his chin had an airbubble in it so needed filling out, a bit of gap under his chin and the join between the right arm and his shoulder where the arm joins on. It's an unusual join I haven't seen on other models, I needed to softer the join with superglue and a bit of filler putty. I also was either too enthusiastic with my sanding or his nails were short on his left foot so I resculpted them to match the long nails of the right foot.

By base top was made from some cork sheet cut to size to fit within the circle. I was looking at some Secret Weapon bases for inspiration, I was going to buy a heap of them but it started adding up too quickly due to the large bases for the Noh so made my own instead. The step was made by cutting the cork in half. Cracks were added with a knife. For the cobblestones I put down a layer of filler plaster then after giving a few minutes to set up a bit started carving into it with a sculpting tool to make stones. I used the left over of the step to make the small base top and did the cobblestones the same way. I ended up having to carve out gaps in the bottom step to fit the front feet of the Dog but I am happy with the result.

After a white prime

I also built a Warsenal Tori gate for a nice themed terrain piece.

Started painting him on the weekend. Few greys drybrushed in succession for the bases, then some strong tone inks for extra shading. I'll likely add a touch of colour later along with some grass clumps.

spent quite a bit of time doing the pale purple on the belly plate.

Hair and face done, working on the rest of the flesh at the moment.

December 2nd, 2014, 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

nice one dude!!! :) ;)

December 2nd, 2014, 12:26 pm
Ninja Corps

Beautiful work. Very inspirational.

Now I'm sad I didn't grab the SDE Kosaro :(

December 2nd, 2014, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Great work! Smooth shading and vibrant colors. The work you did on the purple paid off. The base is excellent.
Here's an oddball comment: your priming is much more solid than mine, you get a real dense white base. I might need to rethink my "light" coats. Perhaps they are too light and another couple of passes would help me.

December 2nd, 2014, 2:28 pm
Ninja Corps

Very nice indeed!

December 2nd, 2014, 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

That's great work, really bright, clear tones. Looking forward to seeing more!

December 3rd, 2014, 3:21 pm
Minion

Been painting heaps but forgetting to post more pics :roll:

got all the skin done on Kasaro To, have to do up his armour

Fu Dog primed Tamiya brown

then sprayed copper

then Game Air Glorious Gold which is a very nice gold I must say, I tried to spray areas zenithally, leaving copper in the shadow areas

next spraying the red glowing areas then I obviously didn't take photos for the next hour or 2

Here the head has been shaded, highlighted some. The eyes have been painted in, some glow around it and the chin and tail have been sprayed like flame.

base glow under the Relic's chest vents

still need to do a heap of shading on the body and paint the steal parts but it's getting there.

and starting on some more figs

December 15th, 2014, 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Bit of work on Marikan To, I assembled her and puttied up the shoulder joins then sanded them smooth before priming. To make painting her easier I cut off her left hand and the quiver at the wrist then put in a pin. It makes it a lot easier to paint all her skin without the quiver in the way then I'll glue it on later.

I've done her skin almost entirely with my airbrush starting with a Reaper pale purple and adding more and more white to the mix as I added more and more highlights.

also started on a Beastmaster. Again primed after puttying up the joins. I've left off the loin cloth armour panels since they don't need putty work and get in the way while painting. Really like this figure he has a heap of character.

Also been cleaning up a few more models

The Serpent Priestess is a model that I like the artwork more than the actual sculpt unfortunately. She is so ridiculously thin compared to Marikan To. She's so birdlike, I started by shortening her neck so it didn't look so odd. Then I decided to put her arm with the dagger in a trailing pose rather than the overarm stab, I sanded back a bit of the shoulder connection then glued it in position before puttying the gaps and sculpting in a new shoulder blade on the back since her arm was in that position. Then I decided to bulk out her standing leg. I flattened out a sheet of green stuff and wrapped it around the leg then spent a bunch of time smoothing it down and defining the leg. Lastly I worked on her head, filling in the gap between her headdress/hair and the back of her head. I guess on my one it's her hair since I joined it up and added in some texture to it. Also redid her nose a bit since it looked too tiny in a Grey alien kind of way.

Warlord Marmaro To is probably my favourite model in the Noh range but !SODA! was he a lot of work to get together. I had to do some carving to get his dagger into position and then I had to putty in a new rope belt over the top of it. The shoulder pad needed sculpting the back half of the edge where the parts joined. There was a lot of gaps all over the place in a lot of tight places so I was putting in green stuff before adding superglue and jamming the parts together then smoothing out the joins. Was many hours of work getting him assembled. Will get him primed after I create a base for him.

Finally got the starter set on the weekend so started cleaning those models. Bit disappointed with how rough the casting of Zineda. I cut her sleave away from her hip, I'd noticed how oddly sharp he hip looks in a lot of painted Zinedas so I wanted to sand it smoother to a more natural shape, also let me heat up and bend her arm away from her body a bit. That opens the pose a touch and will make it a lot easier to paint. I think I'll redo her collar a bit, definitely want to fix her hair so it looks like the art. Will shorten her feet a bit so they aren't so frog like. I know I need to fix her ribbon in one spot where it kinda disappears. I think I'll try and redo her headdress a bit too.

I ordered these from a model train seller on ebay, was hoping they'd be big enough for 28mm to make nice sakura trees and give a bit more of a Japanese feel to the table along with the Torii gate.

December 16th, 2014, 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Minion

AGN1964 I'm using Army Painter spray primer, it just seems to give a very opaque coat, I'm not doing a very heavy spray.

Funny thing I just noticed looking at the pics, the Relic Knight version of Kasaro To has cartoon giant 3 fingered hands unlike the SDE version or the original artwork.

December 16th, 2014, 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Love your airbrush work on the relic. It was also a really great idea to soften up Zineda's hip a little. Looking forward to more!

January 3rd, 2015, 1:42 am
Minion

Very happy to say I have all my Noh finally cleaned up, assembled, modified where needed and based and primed :D :D :D :D

Zineda and the Serpent Priestess got cool laser engraved bases with summoning circles thanks to some cad work by me and the big laser at Aetherworks. They were cut from 3mm MDF then I roughed up the edges with a blade and some putty to match the cork sheet bases the rest of my force is on.

I said before I'd probably mod Zineda a bit and I did. I cut back her hair overlapping her face and pulled it back like on the other side sticking out then I puttied the back of the hair spikes so they'd blend into the rest of her hair. I also resculpted the back of her head so the hair would flow into the pony tail. Other bits to redo, lots of sanding back the raised patterns on her sleeves so they'd be more like a raised but still flat bit of embroidery instead of the big rounded pattern. I got rid of the bumps down the outside of the sleeve and the Noh logo which was illegible anyway. The collar got sanded back to smooth then I redid the edges on the shoulders and at the front, also redid the gems at the top of the scrolls and on the collar. I think I've managed to make her match the artwork lot more now.

Hmm sure I took a photo of the priestess before spraying, I'll add it if I find it. I added a bit of putty to her sides to bulk her out a bit more so she doesn't look match thin next to Zineda and Marikan To.

January 9th, 2015, 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Since I'm a big fan of Yoko from Gurren Lagann I had to get Darkspace Rin, that she worked for my faction was a big bonus. Problem is she's like about 70% Yoko so what did I have to do to get the rest of the way.

1st obvious thing is the gun is wrong and tiny in comparison to Yoko's anti Beast rifle. I scratch built a new one from aluminium tubing, brass hexagonal tubing, wire, plastic card of various thickness a bit of plastic tubing and the original barrel of Rin's gun which ended up being the body of the scope. Pretty happy with the result. I used the Revoltech Yoko's gun for reference and drew it on paper before cutting out the bits and then assembling around the original arms.

For her hair I shaved back the glasses and fringe and resculpted the fringe to match my figures. The bangs were sculpted around bits of wire drilled in and glued in place. I really wish I could have given Yoko her pony tail but the join on her back is totally in the way. If her back had been sculpted normally I totally would have cut back the hair and done it. In the movie Yoko does let her hair out though so I guess I get away with it loose. That's also why she doesn't have the 2 chopsticks in her hair.

I also added high heels, changed the angle on the leading foot, redid the knee and some other small stuff.

January 9th, 2015, 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Your prep work is amazing. You should be sculpting these figures. I can't wait to see them painted.

January 9th, 2015, 2:26 pm
Bottle Cap

Absolutely agree with the esteemed AGN1964. You’re a god of Green Stuff! A professor of Plasticard. Your blade skills would shame a samurai. Etc.

Seriously, that’s some envy-inducing work. Really looking forward to seeing some paint on them!

January 9th, 2015, 7:56 pm
Minion

Made a start on Yoko, skin 1st and thought I'd get the gun done. Not really going for NMM but Yoko's gun is blue grey on all her figures so that's what she gets.

January 9th, 2015, 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Ha, ha, ha! I have that pallet. Other than than, there is no comparison between our work ;-).

Great gun, I struggle with the "matte black, synthetic material look".

January 10th, 2015, 12:12 am
Minion

haha thanks

January 10th, 2015, 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Fantastic Rin!

You're Noh in general are very well done. The amount of work you've put into this army really shows (even if we see the in progress shots it would). Keep up the good work, and wow again.

January 13th, 2015, 2:49 am
Minion

Spent some time on the weekend getting all the bases done after I started on the summoning circle ones with their fiddliness of painting around the glowing pattern. After that it was all drybrushing and a bit of brown wash.

January 14th, 2015, 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next