View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2018, 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Elderbot's Star Nebular Corsairs WIP 
Bottle Cap

Though I've been working for a while, I finally took some time to take some photos of my WIP Corsairs. None of these are finished yet. I've been painting for 1.5 years and would appreciate comments and criticism. The process of taking the photos has shown me a lot of things I want to fix that I didn't even see with my eyes directly. I got to try these out on the tabletop yesterday and they looked pretty good at tabletop distance.
Please forgive my questionable photography. This was a first attempt and I'm learning. These pics were taken with my iphone before I learned to manually control the settings.

Let's start with Kate and Skully: I plan to work on her face a bit more and add some highlights to Kate, but overall I'm pretty close to done.

October 27th, 2014, 12:07 am
Bottle Cap

Next up: Harker and Caesar
Harker: I have to go over the yellow areas again and possibly increase the highlights on the black, maybe the hair. Going to glaze the sword for TMM effect.
Caesar: I painted his face to mimic pictures of a scarlet macaw, but I may add some yellow to his upper beak. The sword needs some washing and general love.

ImageImage

October 27th, 2014, 12:11 am
Bottle Cap

My objective runners, Moffet and DS Isabeau.

Moffet: I can now see lots of little errors where colors are not where they're supposed to be. I've messed around with her face a lot and am afraid I'm just moving backwards, so may leave it alone.
DS Isabeau: I took the red glove idea from AGN (Thanks for posting!) and extended it to her hair beads. While adding more hair highlights would create more depth, I don't want the hair to get much lighter, since I'm close to Faye Valentine colors. I need to do some clean up on her legs.

October 27th, 2014, 12:19 am
Bottle Cap

I have tons more work on these minions, but here they are at their current stage.

I also just wanted to mention that this is my first time painting so close to the studio scheme. It has been a very interesting challenge because it has forced me to do things I normally would have avoided or not chosen, which is now making me more technically proficient. It has been more fun than I expected and I plan on staying pretty close to the concept art.

October 27th, 2014, 12:25 am
Minion

Great work and thanks for the shout out. Moffet's face is well done; it's pretty much free hand painting, my downfall. The gems all over Kate are perfect. Love the minions and the cannon.

But turn about is fair play! There are plenty of great ideas here for me to steal ;-)

October 31st, 2014, 9:21 am
Minion

like the way you've painted your eyes. very cool work.

October 31st, 2014, 5:12 pm
Bottle Cap

deadestdai wrote:
like the way you've painted your eyes. very cool work.

Thanks. I'm one of those people who paints the whole eye black and then tries to dot some white in each corner. On Moffett I tried reflection dots for the first time. With DS Isabeau I tried green irises, but they don't show up well.

October 31st, 2014, 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]