View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Paint Stripping 
Minion

So, obviously there are articles on other websites out there that I could (and have) look at about stripping the paint off of minis but, I thought I'd ask you guys here what your opinions are.

I started working on my Shattered Sword over the past weekend and, they're absolutely awful. It's my first time painting a mini that should look nice and clean and it's my first time painting from a white primer. I've painted Malifaux and Iron Kingdom minis in the past but, those setting tend to be rough and gritty; everything is covered in soot or dirt and dust. The gritty setting, I think, makes painting soooooo much easier! The pristine armour of Francis and his Swordsworn are making things pretty tough for me.

I'm using Reaper paints so, water soluble, nothing special there. (Although, I really really am finding that I don't like how watery they are, I think I'm just going to stick with Vallejo).

Thanks peeps!

October 21st, 2014, 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bottle Cap

I recommend using Simple Green. I've used that with plenty of success on the Relic Knights models, many of which I didn't get quite right until my second try. 24 hours in the Simple Green is more than enough, depending on how you mechanically remove the paint. I usually give the models a good scrub with a toothbrush after a few hours, then let them sit overnight and scrub them again.

Best new technique I started using though is using an ultrasonic cleaner. I bought a small unit sold as a jewelry cleaner for about $45. It was worth the cost for me because I also use it for airbrush cleaning. I can strip a Relic Knights model in Simple Green in under an hour with little to no scrubbing and with far better results. The cavitation the machine produces gets into the hard to reach areas that are almost impossible to scrub with a toothbrush.

October 21st, 2014, 9:49 pm
Bottle Cap

I had to strip Ekhis back to bare plastic a couple of weeks ago. I put him in a container of Dettol for 24 hours (although 12 would have done the job) and then cleaned him off with a toothbrush. I’m not sure about the availability of Dettol is in the States, but it’s just a concentrated disinfectant. I think it’s called Pinesol over there.

Tips:

1. Either be very careful during the toothbrush stage, or wear gloves. I once stripped a batch of metal minis this way, got Dettol all over me, and an hour later skin started to come off my hands. Ow.

2. Although the Dettol dissolves the paint, as soon as you take the model out of the stuff all the dissolved paint tries to turn back into paint again. You’ll need to do most of the toothbrush stage with the model still submerged, or keep dipping it.

3. The resin-plastic stuff that the RK minis are made out of withstands the Dettol just fine, but the bases melt. Not completely, but they go sticky and don’t recover. Snap the minis off their bases first.

Best of luck!

October 22nd, 2014, 7:15 am
Minion

Getting Dettol in the states is a tough one. Maybe you'll find a Brit-stuff store near you, but I doubt they'd stock Dettol.

Go with the Simple Green. It's kind on plastics and easy to work with. It's also eco friendly (If that's important to you) too.

Overnight soak is usually good enough for most paint jobs, with a week long soak good enough for the more stubborn efforts.

Then get yer toothbrush out and get scrubbing. Rinse with tap water and let dry and you're ready to get painting all over again.

October 22nd, 2014, 7:15 pm
Minion

I went with the pine-sol method and, I guess it worked pretty well. The mini was soaking for about 18 hours and with some heavy scrubbing with a soft toothbrush, the paint and primer came off just fine. It doesn't look like the plastic or glue was hurt at all either so, that's good!

October 22nd, 2014, 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]