View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Paints for minis? 
Bottle Cap

Hi guys. I was just wondering whether you had any preferred brand of paints for the Soda Pop miniatures?
I have The Army Painters basic set but would be looking for some more vibrant/pastel colours. I see that Scale 75 have some quite nice sets on the market. Any thoughts? What are you guys using?
Thanks for the answer.

I have just realised that I have posted this in the wrong forum. I have just reposted the same question in the SDE section of this forum.....sorry about that. :geek:

Last edited by santiboy on October 30th, 2016, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2016, 8:30 am
Denizen

santiboy wrote:
Hi guys. I was just wondering whether you had any preferred brand of paints for the Soda Pop miniatures?
I have The Army Painters basic set but would be looking for some more vibrant/pastel colours. I see that Scale 75 have some quite nice sets on the market. Any thoughts? What are you guys using?

I don't have a lot of experience using lots of different brands, but I use P3 and they seem to work nicely. P3 also has some nice vibrant colours, not sure on pastels though.

October 30th, 2016, 9:08 am
Ninja Corps

I use a lot of Reaper MSPs. They have a lot of really great muted colors. They have some vibrant colors, particularly in their MSP HD line and the "clears" will give you very vibrant colors as well. The best tip I know for getting bright, vibrant colors is to put them over a white base coat.

October 30th, 2016, 11:19 am
Denizen

I use a fairly random selection of paints these days.

If you happen to be in the US, then the Reaper line is a good choice, especially for a new painter. Just remember to thin the paint before applying and keep the brush damp!

A cheaper alternative to get a good selection of paints if you are not in the US is to take a look at Army Painter's range and I highly recommend there shades pack if nothing else from their line.

In the more expensive lines that are becoming more available at stores I have used both Vallejo and ScaleColour, and they are both excellent ranges.

Undercoats:
I recommend Army Painter for priming, the white for bright colours, but you can also go for specific colours that will occur a lot on the miniature. For example my Noh are primed in the Ultramarine Blue, my currently painted BD are in Uniform Grey (and pretty much a wash and highlight and done), my Dahon is actually in Skeleton Bone and was nearly done with a wash.

If you want to use a brush then Vallejo's primers are great as well, though better when used through an airbrush.

Note you can get fancy with your priming, use black or grey from under the model, and then use white from directly above the model, this will pre-shade the model for you. If nothing else, if you take photos at this point you will see a whole lot of shadows and highlights on the model to guide you when you are painting. (Hit YouTube up for zenithal highlighting tutorials for more info.)

Bright Colours:
A really important tip is don't highlight with pure white, lots of colours will be spoiled by a pure white highlight (blue and yellow being notable exceptions). An off-white like Reaper's Linen White or Vallejo's Offwhite will work better, then you can use a pure white as the final highlight. (These 2 colours are great for eyes as well.)

Also note different lines have different standards of Pure White (my Reaper one is much more blue than the Vallejo one for example).

A further note on ScaleColour and Vallejo:
These two lines, especially if you get the Vallejo Model Air or Game Air colours are much thinner than Reaper MSP and Army Painter ranges. This means you will likely need more coats of paint than the others, especially straight from the bottle. Its important to use thin coats and wait for them to dry rather than to pile more paint on in a single coat to get coverage quickly. It will take longer, but the end result will be better.

Finally on ScaleColour the pigments and tints in ScaleColour are very different to those you normally see in paints, this can be used to get some very cool outcomes if you have a great eye for colour.

January 31st, 2017, 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]