View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 10:20 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Caverns of Roxor Dungeon Build Entries 
Employee

This is the thread to post your entry into the Caverns of Roxor Dungeon Build Challenge.

ONLY entries may be posted in this thread. All other posts will be deleted.
If you would like people to offer comments or criticism on your entry we encourage you to create your own thread for your creation in the Painting and Modeling forum.

Entries:
  • You have until 11:59pm PST on October 31st to post pictures of your tiles in the, Caverns of Roxor Dungeon Build Entries thread to enter the challenge.
  • You are responsible for posting your own pictures into the Entries thread. If you are having trouble doing so, contact SPM_Deke, or a moderator through PM.
  • You may submit a maximum of 5 photos that must be contained within a single post. Excess posts or pictures will be deleted.
  • Entries must be created solely for this challenge. No previously built dungeon tiles may be entered. Failure to follow this rule will result in disqualification.
  • Entries must be complete and fully painted.
  • Entries must be fully game playable i.e. they must have 12" x 12" of playable space with identifiable grids.
  • Designs may use existing Super Dungeon Explore tile layouts or may feature completely unique layouts.

October 1st, 2012, 8:42 pm
Bottle Cap

Ok here is our tiles finished fully painted and completely playable, walls are all low enough to fit larger models which is super important. all squares are 1" there are 12x12 playable grid also there are hallways. these were made by myself and two children trevor(12) and dylan (9) its there concepts. we are super excited for caverns of roxor. thanks so much for this opportunity.

First tile. we went with water and fire with some obsidian were they meet in the pit.

second tile we went with a more halloween tile a cemetery. the house is made out of legos but i painted over it, just couldnt get a roof to look right with styrafoam.

last this is our action shot.

i know that they dont really go together concept wise but we wanted to do 2 totally different themes.

October 28th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Bottle Cap

For my entry, I used this opportunity (and motivation) to build a demo dungeon for Super Dungeon Explore. It is a total of 2'x2', 4 tiles, 137 playable squares. Enjoy the pics!

Up first is an overview of the whole piece. Large dungeon set in the caverns.

Next we have a close up view of the upper levels.

For my third image, I have chosen a closer view of the bottom level, with lava flowing over the edges.

And here we have an action shot. Still working on painting all my miniatures.

And last is saved for a dark night....

Hope you enjoyed the pics! I will be posting a WIP on my blog later this week.
Also: Thank you to the Soda Pop Miniatures team for holding the contest, it motivated me to get what I wanted done :)

October 29th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Here's my entry, a pair of Roxxor themed lava boards. I didn't make them exclusively for the challenge, but it couldn't have been better timed. I made a thread for my Super Dungeon Experience, and have all ready started planning my next boards viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1180

The far cavern is a custom design of my own, while the closer one is based on one of the tiles from the initial set. The lava was made with a base of paint covered by Back to Base Ix water effects, all atop a plaster base, while all the cavern surrounding them is made from blue foam and covered in thin cork to make the 'stones'.

I tried to make it as 3d as possible, with the rock in the lava flow (the top picture) scoured away by the lava, while the original cavern I made (the lower picture) shows the lava seeping out of the rock to pool in the middle of the board. I opted to not draw the grid over the boards lava areas as I felt it broke the immersion, and none of it is wide enough that you can't judge the 'squares' anyway.

Here we see the big guy in the background, but let's not be distracted from those gel's in front of us! I tried to make sure the lava matched my models, but at the same time wanted it to stand out nicely.

Another shot with the Fireflow & boss on the table, the clear medium atop the lava looks a lot shinier in this picture than it is in real life.

Regrets are few. I'd have liked the big square lava pool to look more authentic in it's flow, but the plaster didn't quite set flat - I'm not sure why, but I'll figure it out for next time. I'm planning a third fireflow cavern and would have liked to have got it finished for the challenge, but with only two days to spare I'm pretty OK with that at this point. I still haven't painted any of my heroes either, I keep getting distracted by all the minions (I prefer playing Consul), and it would have been nice to have one or two of those on the boards for the pictures.

October 29th, 2012, 10:32 pm
Minion

Evening all!

Well I can safely say I surprised even myself and got my two boards completed (you can view the full breakdown and how to here - in the brief 24 hour period of me returning from holiday before heading off for work related training I managed to finish the last of the painting that needed to be done. So without further waffle - pictures for your enjoyment (taken in my kitchen for the best light - excuse the bag of pasta)!

Group shot of both boards together

Top down shot - I'm sure you all recognise the board section in the SDE game it's based off :)

Action shot!

Top down shot of the second board section - also based on one of the existing boards in the SDE game.

Another action shot!

Maybe better planning on my part and it wouldn't have been so much of a rush towards the end but work, virus, holiday and everything kept sticking it's oar in. I would like to have got some more mushroom decoration done (but I can go back to that later) and I had some problems with the lava on the second board but I think that was mostly down to me trying to do the filler in one go rather than several layers (plus the mixture contained far too much water and left me with a lot of air bubbles).

LordShaft.

October 30th, 2012, 12:00 am
Minion

Hi everyone, here's my entry.
Please excuse the pretty bad photos, I have too much light or too little, never the right amount. Maybe taking photos in daytime would be a good idea?

What in soda is that? Well it's a 3D dungeon, with 360 tiles. That's a bit more than two regular gaming tiles.
18 tiles wide, and 6 steps, the first and last step are 4 tiles wide, the other steps are 3 tiles wide.
Everything except the plastic axes is hand made ^^'

So why the steps?
Another view, face on, to show the cave paintings that look something like 8bit steel girders would...
I wanted an original dungeon, set in caverns, but would also hail back to video games.

I liked the look of the dwarf hero from the roxxor expansion. Dat hammer just reminded me of mario's early games, and there are the flame droplet minions too, all that was missing were the barrels ?
Donkey kong is supposed to look like this:

6 levels, with ladders, one generator at the top (kong throws barrels) one generator at the bottom (flames coming out of lower barrel) and two treasure chests (hammer item).
The thing is ladders would be totally out of place in a dungeon setting. How does a hero climb a ladder with equipment in both hands? can a hero get hit on a ladder? Can a hero attack whilst on a ladder? So many questions. So they were replaced by staircases.
Having levels one above the other would be unplayable, hence the stepped dungeon.
It took several sketches and a small scale model to get things right, then all I needed was to make it look like a cavern, rather than a building site.

Here are a couple of close ups of some of the details:

The frog sort of spontaneously formed out of leftover blobs of milliput.

I was going to make one torch and the cast more in resin, but instead I just went crazy and made them all. Even the coins are milliput, coins are great for putting in details that don't hamper playability.
and I just figured out how to put decent sized images in this post...

Last edited by azoxystrobin on October 31st, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 31st, 2012, 12:48 am
Bottle Cap

Alright... after almost a full month of effort, they're ready with just a little bit of time to spare.

So for this entry, we tried to live up to the spirit and rules originally posted in the contest: at least two standard-sized tiles, themed to complement the Caverns of Roxor expansion. We chose to do three tiles - one to match the "crystal caverns" environment depicted in the Rock Top Gang's card art background, another to represent the Fireflow atmosphere shown in the Fireflow Denizens' card art, and a third tile that combines both styles to be the showcase for Roxor himself.

Here's the three tiles arranged together. Caverns on the left, lava on the right, and interlocked caverns/lava temple in the middle:

Here's the crystal caverns tile, populated by the Rocktop Gang minions that live there. The crystals have an OSL lighting effect painted in, and the colors were chosen to match the crystal cave scheme as shown not only in the Rocktop card art, but also the B-side tiles from the core box set:

On to the lava! The sandy-bricks-and-magma scheme and colors are taken directly from the Fireflow Denizens' card art. The broken walkway down below has yellow squares (lava terrain effects) on the most broken bits; in keeping with the dynamics seen on the core set tiles, no walkway is completely blocked by lava - small-based models can tiptoe their way through, while bigger-based models can't pass without lighting themselves on fire. Unless you're a Fireflow Denizen already, in which case lava ain't no thang. We're really happy with how much heat this tile conveys - the lava glow effect looks downright toasty.

Now for the Heart! The flavor text on the back of the Lava Whirl card reads: "Deep within the Dragonback Peaks beats the Molten Heart, the first source of fire on Crystalia." It goes on to describe Roxor as the guardian of the Molten Heart, and charges him with a desire to see the Heart's power spread across the land. Given that Roxor - and the Dragonback Peaks - are both amalgams of stone and fire, we figured that the Molten Heart would be too. We decided on a giant, magical, fiery crystal - enshrined by the Fireflow Denizens in an ancient temple structure. The rim of this tile continues the dark stone and glowing crystal motif of the Rock Top tile, but in the center is a structure colored to match the brick of the lava plate. At the centerpiece, in front of the towering Molten Heart, rises a platform for Roxor - decorated in front with a mural of the big man himself, lava flowing from his open palms to fill a glowing pool:

And finally, a close-up focused shot on the big boss himself, standing atop his lava-spewing likeness and flanked by two loyal Ember Hounds.

This project was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. The lava heat/glow effect turned out exactly as we'd hoped, and the crystals look fantastic as well - even though they don't seem to want to photograph. Our greatest pride point is that these tiles are 100% lore-appropriate and vanilla-rules playable - and intermixable with the core set tiles. There's an exit on all four sides, and the plates are cut to size to sit amongst the box set boards. There are no passageways narrower than two tiles (the Deeproot Druid breathes a sigh of relief), and plenty of playable squares on each board. All playspace squares have no details that prevent a slottabased mini from sitting securely on them.

October 31st, 2012, 6:57 am
Minion

Here's my entry for the Caverns Contest. It was a little rushed as I just started in on Saturday, but I'm happy with the results.

October 31st, 2012, 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Here are my dungeon tiles.
I painted crosshairs to mark squares where they are not obvious in the design, to make the tiles clearly playable.

Cavern entrance:

Dungeon basement:

Ritualistic sacrifice:

Game on!

Top down view of both tiles side by side (link for 800 pixel width):

Higher resolution link

Last edited by Solun Decius on November 1st, 2012, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

October 31st, 2012, 10:05 pm
Bottle Cap

welp here's my entry!

I was going for a classic super mario underground theme. There's a familiar sewer tile, which connects with the cavern tile.

Aside from the overpass, every open tile should be accessible to a large figure without squeezing.

Both tiles feature warp pipes that aren't hard to figure out. one end leads to the other.

I also made the optional '! switch', '? box', and 'POW box' which can act as treasure chests, or can be house-ruled to serve other functions, as I intend to do.

October 31st, 2012, 10:31 pm
Bottle Cap

Hello everybody! Here's my last minute entry.
As I've already made basically all the other tiles from the box set into 3-D tiles, I wanted to use this contest as the excuse to make something a little different - so I decided to make two iconic rooms that help define the dungeon as Roxor's.

The first tile is meant to be the entrance to the dungeon. The Heroes descend the narrow stairs into the depths of a fiery cave. I made sure that the entrance had stairs and opened up into a larger room.

Here we have the Heroes at the base of the stairs, and you can also see the detail of the doorway. The glowing runes are taken straight off of the images of Roxor. These runes are spread out amongst several doors in the tiles (although, admittedly they don't appear in any more photos!).

The second tile is made to be a boss room. Therefore, I took the liberty of not putting a door on the back, as that's where the boss spawns! :D Also, as Roxor changes between lava form and rock form, I wanted to show that in his room. Therefore, there's lots of lava and fire, as well as shards of obsidian jutting out of the ground around his spot.

The battle comes to an end! Yup, since I don't have a Roxor to put there, I put a Rex in his spot. This shot shows more detail of the lava itself, which came out much better than I expected!

And the last shot is meant to show a few things that may not have been apparent. First, everything is magnetized, even the stairs! So everything breaks down for easy storage, as well as being removable for better pictures. ;) Also, the lava shafts that make for columns have LED tea lights that fit right into them, providing nice mood lighting for the battle.

I would like to say thank you to Soda Pop, for a wonderful little game and a nice contest to get me to make some more tiles. Also, thanks to my fellow forumites for looking at my entry. And lastly, thanks to my roommates for putting up with the mess of foam, paint and plaster that took over the living room this week!

October 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm
Minion

Here is my entry:

It consists of two tiles that are the same size as other SDE tiles.

The first tile is deep inside the volcano where fire dezidents may relax under a magma waterfall.

The second tile is a temple dedicated to Roxor. It depict how the Rocktop gang and the fire gels came to see Roxor, liberator of the oppressed, as a god.

November 1st, 2012, 5:01 am
Bottle Cap

Just under the line!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/92980796/super-3d-dungeon-boards

November 1st, 2012, 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Employee

So many great entries!

I am locking this thread and building the poll thread now. It should be up soon.

Deke

November 1st, 2012, 3:44 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]