View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Nithrock's painting and modeling thread 
Denizen

Yeah, but hopefully Mr Tomn for questing Malya is an indication that they learned that tiny points were no good for attaching to bases.

There are still heaps of models I need to build and looking at them I kind of wonder how I will get them upright without falling off whenever I use the model or it gets bumped slightly.

October 12th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Minion

Major Glitch wrote:
Even with pinning, a handful of the original run are problematic. Suspect 7 was also fun to figure out.

Didn't have an issue with Suspect 7... well not a major one, they fell under the same issue as the sorceress. A few tiny toes to balance on, but balance they can.

October 13th, 2016, 1:06 pm
Denizen

Star lancer and Questing Malya finally arrived.

Malya's leg was snapped off at the knee unfortunately, but it seems like some super glue should fix it no problems.
Star lancer is going to be interesting to work out what goes where - building instructions would be nice for a lot of models.

I can't say I am a fan of the double sided tracking cards. But I will just print out another copy of one of the sides I guess.

October 14th, 2016, 12:22 am
Denizen

Finally got the star lancer together. Attaching his lances was no easy task, they just refused to point in the right directions and have small joints. They are also held on by small connectors and I am a bit worried they will snap one day.

October 14th, 2016, 10:14 am
Denizen

And the Shattered Sword cadre is now fully assembled meaning all cadres are ready for bare plastic battles.

October 14th, 2016, 10:16 am
Denizen

I am also making a 35pt Radiant list (not for teaching, just general small games).
Candy (16)
Ayu Beat (11)
Candy Heart (8)

I managed to get my hands on an Ayu Beat, but have been unable to find a candy heart, so have made a stand in from an infinity model that looked sort of candy-ish. I made a dodgy soda bottle for her to lean on (rather than the control panel the infinity model is meant to lean on).

There is a bit of a gap between the bottle and her leg, but it actually doesn't look that bad somehow.

October 16th, 2016, 1:22 am
Denizen

Kitbashed soda canon Candy looks amazing!

October 17th, 2016, 4:34 am
Denizen

Major Glitch wrote:
Kitbashed soda canon Candy looks amazing!

Thanks.
I wish I was better at sculpting, because there is a high chance the bottle will look pretty bland when painted, but if that happens, I can spend a while just trying to make bottles until I make a good one I guess.

I am still a bit torn that her leg isnt resting on the bottle, but it was going to involve way too much arm bending/cutting in order to make it work.

Overall though I am happy with it, and glad you like it!

October 17th, 2016, 5:30 am
Denizen

A quick fix to make it loot a little better would be to use a small curved tool, pull it strait down the bottle to give it a classic grooved look...

October 17th, 2016, 8:52 pm
Denizen

Major Glitch wrote:
A quick fix to make it loot a little better would be to use a small curved tool, pull it strait down the bottle to give it a classic grooved look...

Yeah that was my fall back plan. I'll have a bit of a play around with it.
Though it would be nice to be able to make a bottle that matches the soda cannon candy has in her limited edition model (but that is probably beyond me, at least currently)

October 17th, 2016, 10:15 pm
Denizen

Transport solution.

I had all my models on my bookshelves and didn't have a great way to store or transport them. I was dreading buying foam carry cases for everything as that would be a lot of foam due to the unique shapes of a lot of the models.

After finding a spare tool bag (with metal frame) that I no longer used, I figured it was about the right size for carrying my models.

When deciding how to secure the models safely I remembered I had a LOT of spare rare earth magnets. After purchasing 2 loaf baking tins I had everything I needed.

Glueing a magnet (or two for some of the larger/heavier models) to the bottom of each base was enough to securely hold every model in place. They don't move around and can be tipped upside down and knocked around a fair bit without moving at all.

There is even enough space on the ends to perfectly fit 2 deckboxes, to carry all the stat cards and esper decks.

It holds almost everything for my teaching cadres. Jeane Romee, the Star Lancer, and the Diamon Back were all a bit too tall to fit. So I will have to find another type of baking dish and bag combo to carry those in.

October 19th, 2016, 3:55 am
Denizen

Update on the Diamondback. The colour transition on the axe doesn't come through too well in the photos it seems sadly.

November 7th, 2016, 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2