View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2017, 2:40 pm

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

When a Moderator Ninja has provided a current answer on a question the topic will then be locked. This will ensure that the answer remains easy to find and help keep the board organized.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Academy Guard Regen 
Bottle Cap

Hey all, noob here. Is there a reason that the academy guard in doc have a regen as a static ability and also have it as a press? It seems like the way the rules are written, the press would be pointless as it's already applied to the unit. Am I missing something? (Are academy guard any good now? I saw a lot of dislike for them before)

April 28th, 2017, 5:16 pm
Denizen

You are correct the press is redundant.

I do think the new stats make them much more playable in 2.0; they benefit from Master Wu's AoE, they can be a real threat with a larger squad, and their unique ability to mess with the top of your opponent's deck can be very strong. And of course their mobility is quite good between their high initial move and fly. 6hp per model and regenerate can make them really hard to get rid of in larger numbers, as well. For me, they've definitely moved onto the "strong consideration" list for cadre-building.

May 1st, 2017, 6:46 pm
Bottle Cap

Thank you MajorGlitch (for the answer and directing me here from the kickstarter)! I hope they keep the static regen on them for wu but also give them a worthwhile press. Maybe a feint? That could give a lot of maneuverability and flexibility

May 1st, 2017, 10:05 pm
Denizen

Glad to help =)

I think feint would be counter-productive to the design on the Guard. The rest of their stats (and fluff) suggest their primary purpose is to keep enemies tied up in close combat. They aren't built as hit-and-run style fighters, they're brawlers. I'd want them to stick to the unit that I engaged with them, using their regeneration and defensive action to keep them going.

I could see the press going two ways: Increasing the recover amount to really make them an annoyance; or giving it backlash to make them more imposing, and to suggest that fleeing is a safer option than attacking them. I'd personally like to see a press to give additional recover, but that could make them a little too powerful. At least they dropped the lifeleech, that was a little thematically dark for a "good" magic school...

As a side note, as it stands, in most cases their recover value will still generally result in a net loss of health when damaged, so them having regenerate as either a press or innate ability will be of little consequence when considering the unit by itself. But when you start buffing the Guard, or outright healing (Rhouss Fixer would be great), having regenerate as a trait becomes quite powerful.

May 2nd, 2017, 4:28 pm
Bottle Cap

I agree, they shouldnt be a hit and run. I didn't fully explain my reasoning with feint. I meant it to be more of a way for them to advance to better engage models shooting them. As they don't have charge. Feint on their defense would give them a way to move into range as a way to punish shooting at them. More of a "hey, you couldn't blow them off the table, so now they are going to be even closer." Maybe it could be worded so that they could only approach the attacking model. Backlash doesn't feel to thematic as they are meant to be a tarpit unit.

May 2nd, 2017, 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]