View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 18th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Future 
Minion

So, a year later, no hint of expansions...is this product line dead?

December 2nd, 2013, 7:49 pm
Bottle Cap

Unfortunately it looks like it. My gaming group plays this every few weeks. We even have some errata and house rules that we use.

Like my profile pic? Check out my art at: http://MichaelLinkJr.deviantart.com

January 4th, 2014, 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Employee

nooooooo...............................
We have been very busy on getting Relic Knights and our latest Super Dungeon out the door - that does not mean we have forgotten our girls of Takoashi... look for news on new releases in the coming weeks!

November 13th, 2014, 9:38 pm
Moderator Ninja

SPM_John wrote:
nooooooo...............................
We have been very busy on getting Relic Knights and our latest Super Dungeon out the door - that does not mean we have forgotten our girls of Takoashi... look for news on new releases in the coming weeks!

You're always such a tease John!

November 18th, 2014, 11:32 am
Employee

It's only funny, because of what I am working on right now

November 21st, 2014, 5:20 pm
Ninja Corps

Hint: the copies of Tentacle Bento that were sold in Essen have modified rules. The two differences that I know from the top of my head are that you have a fourth alternative for your turn (take 3 cards from the school pile and turn is over - no discard) and there is a 5th suit symbol displayed.

November 21st, 2014, 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I say there is a great future for this game. Soda Pop just focused on the new FK SDE.
But when I play the game at conventions the players all ask where they can buy the game... so there is a market for it!

December 17th, 2014, 5:51 am
Denizen

I personally love this game! As soon as I found out about it I ran out and bought it!

December 17th, 2014, 1:41 pm
Bottle Cap

Gotta say I'm curious about how Takoashi University is developing in the miniature department lately. Reminds me of how Relic Knights started off, with just a few awesome looking miniatures...and then after a bit, out came the miniature table top game.

So that being said, is this a beginning of a "new" miniature table top game, now with a school setting? If this is the case, boy-howdy will I be working on some awesome terrain boards for this! Class-rooms, Track and Field set-ups with bleachers and such, even school hallways with branching paths, lunch rooms, etc. It could look pretty darn cool.

Now I don't know how many fans of anime such as Ikki Tousen, Ranma 1/2 and other martial art based school settings type people are out there, but I think it'd be pretty sweet as a miniature skirmish game...with other whacky elements tossed in for good measure, of course.

I end my ramblings here. Thank you.

March 29th, 2015, 7:27 am
Ninja Corps

I remember like, a year ago they said in an interview they'd love to make a game in like a haunted house type setting, etc etc.
I think this universe will be bound to card games though, as the miniatures will probably just be paintable collector's items.

March 31st, 2015, 4:08 pm
Bottle Cap

I would personally like to stick with cards and smaller expansions (like Munchkin).

Think about it this way: There are a lot of Anime fans who are not into board or card games, but see this and become interested. They like the art, they like scantily clad girls, the game looks fun... Sold. They buy it, they play it with their friends, everyone loves it.

What happens when people love games? They want more.

So imagine this new card game fan, still relatively inexperienced with the hobby, searches for "Tentacle Bento". They find expansions! Awesome. They're a bit expensive, but to get more of wh...... Wait a minute. What is this? A miniature? Only one card? For $12? That's almost as much as they bought the main game for. A bit more searching finds all of the expansions are bundled with miniatures and they don't really want to pay $12 for one card, so they don't buy it.

This creates a negative mark on their experience with the franchise and possibly the publisher of the game. When and if a real expansion comes out, they may be weary about it and not purchase it anyway. Now, this is something that could happen with any other kind of fan (fans of card games like MTG who want a party game, experienced board game fans, miniature wargamers who hate painting). You could slightly alter the scenario above for any of those.

Smaller releases, a la packs of 12-16 cards released annually, keep the fanbase interested in the game. Keep the miniatures without the cards and sell them as exclusives (I personally love them, but I'm a artist). I would love to see what SPM can do with the franchise, but I believe they are literally sitting on money at this point.

(Discussion is muchly appreciated. I love this game and would love to see future releases with more content than one card.)

April 12th, 2015, 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

sakurafire wrote:
I would personally like to stick with cards and smaller expansions (like Munchkin).

Think about it this way: There are a lot of Anime fans who are not into board or card games, but see this and become interested. They like the art, they like scantily clad girls, the game looks fun... Sold. They buy it, they play it with their friends, everyone loves it.

What happens when people love games? They want more.

So imagine this new card game fan, still relatively inexperienced with the hobby, searches for "Tentacle Bento". They find expansions! Awesome. They're a bit expensive, but to get more of wh...... Wait a minute. What is this? A miniature? Only one card? For $12? That's almost as much as they bought the main game for. A bit more searching finds all of the expansions are bundled with miniatures and they don't really want to pay $12 for one card, so they don't buy it.

This creates a negative mark on their experience with the franchise and possibly the publisher of the game. When and if a real expansion comes out, they may be weary about it and not purchase it anyway. Now, this is something that could happen with any other kind of fan (fans of card games like MTG who want a party game, experienced board game fans, miniature wargamers who hate painting). You could slightly alter the scenario above for any of those.

Smaller releases, a la packs of 12-16 cards released annually, keep the fanbase interested in the game. Keep the miniatures without the cards and sell them as exclusives (I personally love them, but I'm a artist). I would love to see what SPM can do with the franchise, but I believe they are literally sitting on money at this point.

(Discussion is muchly appreciated. I love this game and would love to see future releases with more content than one card.)

Another thing like the foil pack would be awesome! Although maybe less shiny. I never thought about the negative aspects of packaging the cards with the models, I mostly look at it for a collector's edition style of thing.
I do hope we get another game that's totally distinct from other card games that already exist though.

April 13th, 2015, 2:18 pm
Bottle Cap

Ace wrote:
Another thing like the foil pack would be awesome! Although maybe less shiny. I never thought about the negative aspects of packaging the cards with the models, I mostly look at it for a collector's edition style of thing.
I do hope we get another game that's totally distinct from other card games that already exist though.

I see them as collector's items as well, but it's a shame that someone who enjoys the card game but not miniatures is missing out on some great cards.

(Foil cards... Very irritating to play with. You can tell when they're coming up next and the foil breaks after you play with them a lot.)

April 13th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I like the cards bundled with the miniatures for the fluff of it.

Perhaps instead, issue separate card packs, and the miniatures as they have, but annually release a pack with the cards that were released with the miniatures for those that don't want the figures.

April 13th, 2015, 3:46 pm
Bottle Cap

Gimp wrote:
Perhaps instead, issue separate card packs, and the miniatures as they have, but annually release a pack with the cards that were released with the miniatures for those that don't want the figures.

And that is a very valid alternative. Smaller card packs may suck, but once we get 9 miniatures released, a small card pack would be great.

April 13th, 2015, 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Gimp wrote:
I like the cards bundled with the miniatures for the fluff of it.

Best idea in my opinion. I personally love the miniatures even though I don't paint anymore. But I see great wisdom in offering the cards as an add-on pack for tose who don't want the minis. This solution is the best of both worlds. Those who like minis or at least don't mind them, get the cards first as a bonus. Those who don't wait a bit, but still get them. 8-)

April 16th, 2015, 1:04 pm
Ninja Corps

what confuses me is the fact that I see a picture of the Kendo-club in every pack, but no Kendo-club to buy.

May 15th, 2015, 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]