View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2017, 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Another UK gamer here. 
Minion

Hello All,

Been on here for a while now but only got round to posting here now.

I recently got some help from a forum mod with my signature, as I wanted to avoid any unfortunate issues in the future, I had to pare it down a bit due to signature size limits so below is the full text (Massive thanks to the helpful soul who pitched in)

"I am a person who sometimes struggles with language, and the lack of inflection and tone on the internet can make things even more difficult for me. Please read my posts generously, as I sometimes may over-clarify and come off as condescending or rude; this is never my intent. If you see an issue with one of my posts, please PM me and I would be more than happy to explain."
Thank you for your tollerance and understanding if it is needed at any time.

In game terms I've been playing since good old 1.0 SDE, and have been gaming pretty much as long as I can remember. I also RPG and run LARP in the UK in my local area (for my sins I've been running LARP for over 20 years now :/ )

I am a huge fan of the community on here and the discussions people bat back and forth on game points and ideas. It's also interesting to see the varied game-play experiences different people have from the same games, it makes me look at my own games harder and consider other ways to do things I might not otherwise have tried out.

I struggle with language, the lack of inflection & tone on the 'net makes things worse. Please read generously, I may over-clarify & sound condescending/rude; this is never my intent. If you see an issue please PM as I will be happy to explain.

October 6th, 2016, 10:29 pm
Denizen

Welcome (for 2 years ago I guess)

Through our interactions in other threads, I haven't felt that you have come off as condescending or rude. And the over-clarification has honestly been important for clarity in the rules discussions.

However if I do ever feel you being rude I will keep it in mind.

Looking forward to having many discussions in the future.

October 6th, 2016, 10:36 pm
Minion

Thank you, and good to know.

On the forums for the LARP I run I have a habit of accidentally ending up with Walls of Text (tm), I'm always trying to find the right balance on here with not doing that, but making sure I am explaining my idea / view / example clearly enough for others. Particularly making sure I dont leave an important bit 'in my head' as it were.

Thankfully the peeps on here are a lot less finicky than my LARPers :p

I struggle with language, the lack of inflection & tone on the 'net makes things worse. Please read generously, I may over-clarify & sound condescending/rude; this is never my intent. If you see an issue please PM as I will be happy to explain.

October 6th, 2016, 10:56 pm
Denizen

SaphDragon wrote:
Thank you, and good to know.

On the forums for the LARP I run I have a habit of accidentally ending up with Walls of Text (tm), I'm always trying to find the right balance on here with not doing that, but making sure I am explaining my idea / view / example clearly enough for others. Particularly making sure I dont leave an important bit 'in my head' as it were.

Thankfully the peeps on here are a lot less finicky than my LARPers :p

It's possible that it comes down to LARP being about an extension of the imagination, so sometimes it is nice to not have ALL the details filled in, and let everyone interpret as they do.

However rules discussions often come down to a technical wording in addition to intent, so explaining fully is important.

Could also just be purely the different communities.

October 6th, 2016, 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]