View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What's with all the spam? 
Dungeon Boss

Recently there's been a major influx of spam, and its got me greatly concerned. Is SPM going to address this? Is anything going to be done to prevent this? I suggests some spam-bot prevention programs during sign-up...cause this is starting to get insane.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

October 6th, 2016, 6:55 pm
Ninja Corps

Daemonforge wrote:
Recently there's been a major influx of spam, and its got me greatly concerned. Is SPM going to address this? Is anything going to be done to prevent this? I suggests some spam-bot prevention programs during sign-up...cause this is starting to get insane.

People are on it, like myself ( I am a mod) and it is being taken care of. There is just so much that I have to send it up the chain of command, for example. I don't have the power to delete a user as well as delete all of their posts at once.

If two spambots get in and make 15 spam posts, that's 30 posts I have to handle individually. If I pass it up the chain, the mods with more power can delete the spammer and their posts in just a few clicks.

The guys are working on it and watching it, trust me. :D

The best thing to do is hit the report button when you see it as it filters the posts for us and makes it easier to identify any problems.

"My wife lets me keep all of the miniatures she doesn't know about."

October 6th, 2016, 8:47 pm
Denizen

varagon wrote:
People are on it, like myself ( I am a mod) and it is being taken care of. There is just so much that I have to send it up the chain of command, for example. I don't have the power to delete a user as well as delete all of their posts at once.

If two spambots get in and make 15 spam posts, that's 30 posts I have to handle individually. If I pass it up the chain, the mods with more power can delete the spammer and their posts in just a few clicks.

The guys are working on it and watching it, trust me. :D

The best thing to do is hit the report button when you see it as it filters the posts for us and makes it easier to identify any problems.

Thanks you are doing good work, and given that I am on a LOT of the time, it is noticeable when posts are deleted. It may not be as noticeable for people who log on once a day as there are always more posts.

Stopping spam bots is always hard, you have to find the right combination of account authentication (bots can get passed a lot of them) which sometimes just takes trial and error.

I think the main concern though is that the high level mods and admins aren't around every day (Except Justin, but his work on the forums is purely rules development focused) so some days it gets out of hand. I understand that Ninja Division are busy, but it would be nice if there was a person who was in charge of maintaining the forums and was on at least once a day to make sure everything was running smoothly - as it really shouldn't take over 2 and a half weeks to get the spam sorted. Especially as any legitimate people signing up to check out the community are surely being put off by the fact the forums are flooded.

October 6th, 2016, 10:45 pm
Moderator Ninja

Just to reply here and let you all know what's going on, we think we have the issue fixed. Rome wasn't built in a day. The spam war lasted like 6 days? It's not the end of the world. The concerns were heard, Ninja Division took the steps necessary. It took a bunch of different solves. We appreciate your patience.

October 10th, 2016, 11:24 am
Denizen

Jestor wrote:
The spam war lasted like 6 days? It's not the end of the world. The concerns were heard, Ninja Division took the steps necessary. It took a bunch of different solves. We appreciate your patience.

The issue does indeed seem fixed. Thanks.

And it was noticeable that it took a couple of different solves (a huge wave and then a day's break and then another huge wave).

I appreciate all your work and am glad it seems to have worked, not to trivialise it but the spam lasted close to 3 weeks. 6 days wouldn't have been so bad, but people were getting ancy because it was going on for quite a long time.

No one should be blaming the mods or Ninja Division because they did get it solved and that is awesome. But by the same token the mods and Ninja Division shouldn't feel that people were complaining over nothing, as it did last a long time.

October 10th, 2016, 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]